Why is spring reverb so hard to model?

giphy.gif

Oh this is too good. Chapeau!

Last edited:
It depends what you're looking for. This example with the "boing!" parameter turned up is fairly surfy and drippy:

I listened to this last night and it doesn’t really give me what I’m looking for. I haven’t heard a tank that sounded like that really.

I looked around some more, and maybe I’m just not good at searching the right thing but I couldn’t find a fractal clip anywhere that had what I considered to be a great spring reverb sound on it. This may be harder than I would have thought to get what I want from it. I have a Ventris, but I really don’t want to go with the FM9 if I need external gear with it (other than an expression pedal or two).

D

I listened to this last night and it doesn’t really give me what I’m looking for. I haven’t heard a tank that sounded like that really.

That's fair. I like a good spring myself for my Fendery sounds and I wouldn't say the Fractal spring model is perfectly to my liking, although it can be tweaked to be in the ball park. It's a shame because everything else is great.

I hope that model will get further revisions in the future.

I just have to say I appreciate the conversation here around Spring Reverb. Trying to decide if
I really want to hold onto my precious illusions, or let them go and walk into the light.

Seriously, thanks. I learned quite a few things.... and it was mostly/largely civil. Kudos to @jay mitchell
and @SwirlyMaple for their vast and superior understanding. My inferior neo-cortex salutes you both. :beer

More importantly, why do you think the change in response you hear when you turn up a combo tube amp is caused by the reverb?

Just another baseless assumption bourne out of ignorance as to what is really going on, I suppose. :LOL:

Is it more fitting to suggest that the difference in how the reverb sounds (to me) when volume is pushed
higher is due to the tube-driven sends and returns?

My experience is that the decay is longer and there is more going on when volume is added to the equation.
Literally more reverberation without rolling up the Reverb on an amp like a Super or Deluxe Reverb. I assumed
there was some kind of sympathetic resonance going on between the cab and the reverb tank. :idk

Just another baseless assumption bourne out of ignorance as to what is really going on, I suppose. :LOL:

Is it more fitting to suggest that the difference in how the reverb sounds (to me) when volume is pushed
higher is due to the tube-driven sends and returns?

My experience is that the decay is longer and there is more going on when volume is added to the equation.
Literally more reverberation without rolling up the Reverb on an amp like a Super or Deluxe Reverb. I assumed
there was some kind of sympathetic resonance going on between the cab and the reverb tank. :idk

IT’S NOT RESONANCE YOU YOU DUM DUM HEAD

One cool thing with HW springs is you can pick them up cheap, and some nasty ones are just as fun as the posh ones. Something way more fun about real one that you can play into that feels different to an emulation.

Seriously, thanks. I learned quite a few things.... and it was mostly/largely civil. Kudos to @jay mitchell
and @SwirlyMaple for their vast and superior understanding.
To give credit where it’s due, @jay mitchell knows more about the audio-specific side of topics like this than I ever will. As much as I enjoy getting into occasional debates with him, he very surely knows his stuff.

Back