Spring Reverb Pedals

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
Sort of decided that most of the time, the kind of reverb I like on guitars is ONLY a spring unless it’s something I’m adding in the DAW later. Spring’s just evoke a certain sound and mood that I associate with guitar. I feel like they can be somewhat butchered by an amp and cab and still come out the other end of it sounding cool. Plate’s and halls and things either collapse or you lose some of the magic of having them running totally clean (plus it’s cool to have stereo options, filtering etc). I’m less precious about springs in that way.

I also like their dynamic response for playing into, it’s kind of unique and different to just slapping a generic verb over the sound.

This lead me on a bit of a hunt for spring reverbs I liked. Catalinbread Tooanga and Super Spring Theory stood out to me, but I was sort of cold on the idea for some reason…..

Which made me think, why get something that sounds LIKE a spring when I could just get an ACTUAL spring reverb.

This got released around the time I was looking into reverbs and it seems PERFECT. I love Echo Fix’s approach to modernising a classic design.

IMG_3793.jpeg

It’s definitely more on the smooth “studio” sounding side of things - less metallic and boingy although you have a nice range of tones with the controls. It’s nuts how big it sounds considering the physical footprint.

After I ordered it, I got a bit giddy and saw that the Surfybear stuff was pretty reasonably priced. Figured having a longer tank that’s a bit more “guitar amp” based with all the (apologies) drip type sounds.

IMG_3792.jpeg

It’s a lot of fun too, a lot more unapologetically “spring” and I think it’s more obvious and gritty tone means I’m less precious about running it into a preamp or fx loop or getting heavy handed with processing it. Digital stuff is great for the size and convenience, but there is something really fun about physical/mechanical reverbs.

made some very quick IR's of both units. I turned the dry signal off on the Echo Fix, on the Surfybear I turned the mix all the way up but you still get a good bit of dry coming through. Either way just blend to taste.

I wasn't really happy with the end of the decays on the IR's, usually takes a bit of trial and error to get those right. I just did a fade out (which I think for most uses would be fine/unnoticeable). Given the difference in physical size, the Echo Fix is really impressive IMO.

made some very quick IR's of both units. I turned the dry signal off on the Echo Fix, on the Surfybear I turned the mix all the way up but you still get a good bit of dry coming through. Either way just blend to taste.

I wasn't really happy with the end of the decays on the IR's, usually takes a bit of trial and error to get those right. I just did a fade out (which I think for most uses would be fine/unnoticeable). Given the difference in physical size, the Echo Fix is really impressive IMO.
Really cool!
I got to thest it briefely before running off to work, here's a quick riff with the Surfybear IR

Also in the "if I have to have reverb, it's gotta be spring" camp. 😁

Fortunately, I get all I need from the Polara. Haven't looked back, and I bought it right when it came out, which feels like a long time ago...

I also have a Tone City Tiny Spring that I bought for a backup/grab'n'go/jam board. It's a one-trick-pony Belton brick reverb, and it sounds a bit meh, but does the job. Into a preamp it's alright, after a preamp I get angry at the volume jump when I turn it on. 🤷‍♂️

Honorable mention, I like the Hot Springs reverb in the HX FX. Definitely drips enough to replace the Polara if needed.

Been meaning to try the Dano Spring King for ages, but somehow I never had the chance so far.

Been meaning to try the Dano Spring King for ages, but somehow I never had the chance so far.
My friend has one. This is the one with the kick pad, right? That’s kinda fun but mostly gimmicky, but I do think the unit overall sounds decent. I don’t know that It’d ever be worth it to me to go that direction over digital emulation, but it is cool.

Just saw this on Reverb. Not sure if it has already been mentioned.

Just saw this on Reverb. Not sure if it has already been mentioned.

not the cheapest….

Back