What were the first 3 records you bought when you had money?

Piing

Roadie
1691924671577.jpeg
1691924695885.jpeg
1691924716950.jpeg

Before I had money I depended on the records of my oldest sister. When I had my first summer-job I went to the small record shop at my village and I bought these 3 vinyls. I remember it was 1982 because that was on the same year that The Wall was released

I bought Top Priority because of the cover. I didn't know Gallagher, but I was already learning to play with a borrowed old Framus, and that was the only record with a guitar rock-style cover available at the shop. So I asked the owner to play it, and I was sold as soon as I heard the first chords of "Follow Me"

I already knew PF because my sister had Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You were here on tape

I bought Pyramid because I heard a song somewhere

Last edited:
Hmmm, I got into music listening when I was about 4 (really), so my Partridge Family, Osmonds, and K-Tel's Hits were most likely presents from family, most likely my aunt, who was only 10 years older than me, and whose records I would listen to every time we visited my grandmother.

So they don't count. :rofl

I'm sure Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was one of my first, but after that I'm not sure. Maybe more EJ, since I was a huge fan of his records up until the late 70's.

I did buy a bunch of 45's with my allowance money before I started getting albums, so probably any handful of pop hits from the early 70's could be in the first 3. Too far back to remember. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kind of tough to say? Not really sure because my older brother had lots of records already so I could listen to his (within reason lol). I was probably 5 or 6 but I do remember we did get some new 45's and they were Pink Floyd - Brick in the Wall, AC/DC - i think it had Big Balls on it, Men At Work - Down Under. I'm sure I chipped in allowance money at some point.:rofl

My first real purchases were more than likely cassette tapes. Don't remember my first but I had everything from Eagles to Steve Vai, Mozart to Matthew Sweet.

Last edited:
Spin Doctors - Pocket Full Of Kryptonite
The Beavis And Butthead Experience
Guns And Roses Use Your Illusions II

Then immediately after that got one of those CDNow or BMG Music things and got-

Weezer - Blue Album
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Nirvana - Nevermind

BMG was also my first album purchases that I can remember - I’m pretty sure this was the first delivery below.

I shared a room with my older brother (9 years my senior) so grew up with posters and sounds of The Rolling Stones, the Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode and Stevie Ray Vaughan so had a pretty good mix of tunes. I was briefly into early 90s RNB (Boyz to Men, etc) before getting into Rock, and Metal.

1691943170521.jpeg

1691943245339.jpeg

1691943308028.jpeg

1691943362318.jpeg

1691943435200.jpeg

1691943532537.jpeg

1691943596934.jpeg

1691943644769.jpeg

BMG was also my first album purchases that I can remember - I’m pretty sure this was the first delivery below.

I shared a room with my older brother (9 years my senior) so grew up with posters and sounds of The Rolling Stones, the Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode and Stevie Ray Vaughan so had a pretty good mix of tunes. I was briefly into early 90s RNB (Boyz to Men, etc) before getting into Rock, and Metal.

View attachment 9836

View attachment 9838

View attachment 9839

View attachment 9840

View attachment 9841

View attachment 9842

View attachment 9843

View attachment 9844
Good choices. I bought every single one of those... err, well I guess millions of others did too. :rofl

Good taste!

I always hated how the songs had to be interrupted for the channel change. Like, can't you guys record songs that fit properly? :rofl
If memory serves me right
Even cassettes had that issue with only 2 sides.
Freebird was split up I think 🤔
Even more odd is that I still remember exactly where my Led Zeppelin 2 album popped and skipped , in my minds eye I still here it even on the radio 🤪

I have fond memories of those 8 tracks. It makes me think back when my dad would drive us to the beach in his '77 Chevy K10 Blazer. We'd listen to Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen on 8 track, among other things.

I remember being about 8 and in the Chevy Van my Dad drove us around in. It had an 8 track player in it,
and on the center console my Dad used to keep a few 8 tracks. I was fishing for one to play and found this
stinky ass pipe.

"I didn't know you smoked a Pipe like Grandpa does, Dad?" :wat

:LOL:

Back