What were the first 3 records you bought when you had money?

It’s all starts to blend together. I do know the first three cassettes I convinced my folks to buy me were GNR Appetite For Destruction, Living Colour Vivid, and AC/DC Back In Black.

I begged my folks to sign me up for the 12 for the price of 1 Cd deal and promised that I’d pay for the rest out of my yard mowing money but I don’t think I actually paid them anything, and my mom bought the rest for herself. :ROFLMAO: That initial 12 was all the alternative stuff of the time. (SP, AiC, PJ, Nirvana etc)

The first two CD’s I definitively bought with my own money was Hum’s You’d Prefer An Astronaut and Silverchair’s Frogstomp.

I remember in I think 1998 I dragged in a bunch of CD's to the used music store to sell them and get Hum's Downward Is Heavenward and Texas Is The Reason Do You Know Who You Are. Didn't have a job so sacrificed the old stuff I didn't listen to anymore. Funny how hard it was to get $20 back in the day and now I impulse buy $1000 gear...

For old cassettes, the earliest ones I remember owning were Def Leppard Hysteria (given to me by my mom's friend) and the Cocktail soundtrack for some reason. I really liked Kokomo when I was a little kid.

Def Leppard was the band that got me into rock music. I was four years old when the album came out; my mom listened to hard rock radio in the car and they had so many hits. By the time I was five years old, I was obsessed with them. I would get magazines and cut out pictures of the band and put them in a binder. I did the same thing with Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet, which I got into around that same time.

I loved Cult of Personality when the song hit the radio. I remember being kind of shocked by all the musicians being black, because every 80s rock band was all white guys. I guess that didn't really change a whole heck of a lot. But they were so damn cool, I just remember them on SNL and the music video and everything. They were kind of like Faith No More, bands that seemed on the cutting edge in the late 80's. Of course I thought the same thing about the bands Tesla and Cinderella. And then I got Cinderella and Alice in Chains mixed up because of the Disney movies.

My parents had an interesting influence on my music. My mom was always listening to rock radio in the 80's, big time into Motley Crue and Poison and Bon Jovi and Def Leppard. Later the station turned alternative which my mom wasn't as big into, but I really felt like I found "my" music. My dad was a huge classic rock fan, so in his car we listened to a lot of Steely Dan, Rush, Queen, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. In retrospect I was pretty lucky. I think my mom took me to a Motley Crue concert when I was 4-5 but I don't remember it at all.

What's crazy is I was only 4-5 years old when I went head first into music, but my youngest is about to turn five and seems like a million miles away from that. She still wears pull ups to bed and hasn't even started pre-school yet. When I was five they moved me into first grade because I was a know it all who refused to participate in kindergarten class. I guess that hasn't changed...

Man, I don’t know where’d I’d be if my father hadn’t encouraged my musical interests. I’d probably be a John Mayer fan.
His encouragement went like this:

I came home from school with the sign-up form to play an instrument, and I asked for drums. "Oh I'm not gonna listen to that banging racket all day long."

Ok, how bout the saxophone?
"Hmmm, too much money. Why not the clarinet? Then you can learn how to play the clarinet polka for me."

And that was that. And I did learn how to play that song. Got really good too, best-in-state of MD at the junior high level, but I grew to dislike the instrument. So a couple years later I picked up the guitar.

Heck, the clarinet taught me good things, like where Chuck Levin's was when we went to buy my pro clarinet, and that Venniman's was right around the corner. And Chuck's had the most gorgeous Les Paul I'd ever seen- Silverburst.

I still have both. But can only play one. :rawk

My dad would encourage me to pick out albums on his dime, just to get me more into listening to bands. By the time I was buying my own things it was Napster era so I stole most everything but I remember specifically going out and buying Tool's Lateralus and Aenima once I heard Aenima for the first time.

His encouragement went like this:

I came home from school with the sign-up form to play an instrument, and I asked for drums. "Oh I'm not gonna listen to that banging racket all day long."

Ok, how bout the saxophone?
"Hmmm, too much money. Why not the clarinet? Then you can learn how to play the clarinet polka for me."

And that was that. And I did learn how to play that song. Got really good too, best-in-state of MD at the junior high level, but I grew to dislike the instrument. So a couple years later I picked up the guitar.

Heck, the clarinet taught me good things, like where Chuck Levin's was when we went to buy my pro clarinet, and that Venniman's was right around the corner. And Chuck's had the most gorgeous Les Paul I'd ever seen- Silverburst.

I still have both. But can only play one. :rawk

Hearing stories like that it makes me feel like I was lucky my Dad bailed on us when I was in the 4th Grade. :idk

No influence is better than a bad one. :hugitout

Hearing stories like that it makes me feel like I was lucky my Dad bailed on us when I was in the 4th Grade. :idk

I always hate hearing stories about bad parents. It's just so sad for kids that don't have control over those things. And when I talk to other parents who are divorced and hate each other and put their kids in the middle, it just sucks.

I was SO proud of my Les Paul when I bought it at 16! The first thing he noticed and pointed out was that you could see the 2 glue joints running through the top. Granted, he was right, but of course at that point I didn't care. Gibson and their QC! :sofa
Not, "Nice guitar son. I'm proud of you for working hard for the money to buy that."

But I digress. My bad.

I was SO proud of my Les Paul when I bought it at 16! The first thing he noticed and pointed out was that you could see the 2 glue joints running through the top. Granted, he was right, but of course at that point I didn't care. Gibson and their QC! :sofa
Not, "Nice guitar son. I'm proud of you for working hard for the money to buy that."

But I digress. My bad.

Was he engineering-minded?

I remember in I think 1998 I dragged in a bunch of CD's to the used music store to sell them and get Hum's Downward Is Heavenward and

Great album, and this reminded of the time I went to buy Mellon Collie as a kid. I had a twenty spot in my pocket, drove all the way to the mall to buy it, and somewhere between the car and the store I lost it. (Never found it either) I drove back home defeated and had to get my friends sister to go pawn like 15 of my CD’s to get the cash to go back and buy it. :cry: I muttered the story and the clerk out of pity let me pick one to keep. (I chose RATM’s debut album)

Texas Is The Reason

I saw them at a skatepark in front of about 30 people when I was kid. Blast from the past!

Last edited:
Kiss Alive II
Judas Preist Screaming for Vengeance
Billy Squire don't say no

I think those were first 3 , to get the taste out of my mouth left by the BeeGees live which my folks though was rock and roll , worst Christmas gift ever

Alive was my first…👍🏻

Best friend and I couldn’t afford to buy CDs or cassettes, but one day we were at Goodwill with his mom and found a stack of records that were $1 each.

She wouldn’t let us spend money on evil devil music so we rode our bikes back later and bought what we could and snuck them in my basement.

These were the first four I grabbed that day:

71s6glEqRyL._SL1500_.jpg

van-halen-self-titled-debut-vinyl-album-cover-560.jpg

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

A0124-Judas-Priest-Hero-Hero-8058.jpg

Still have every one of them

Back