What do you say when...? (Stories from the Audition Files)

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
In our search for a guitar player we had some interesting folks reach out, including a guy who was so drunk at 7pm on a weeknight he didn't remember talking to us, another who might be getting fitted for a custom tin foil hat as I type this and few who just ghosted us after claiming they'd learn our first song and get back to us.

One of them had red flags all over the place. He had several ads up in the usual local online places for "musicians wanted" where he took pot shots at the people he used to jam with (more than one group of people) and had comments about how important "his music" was and how it needed to get made. Definitely read like A Narcissists Guide To Scaring Off Creatives...

When he engaged with us, there was more of the same including unsolicited comments like "guess I have to brag about myself" and a timeline of what sounded like a fairly illustrious career in the metal world (although he wouldn't name the bands he was allegedly in) and connections he had at "major metal labels" (re: there's no such thing) followed by years as a touring player for some big time star in another genre (who also remained nameless).

Sent him the first song, which is by no means technically difficult to play, and told him how we wanted a guitar player who could share the songwriting load, contribute musically in ways the drummer and I couldn't, share the lead vocal duties with me and so on. He had a link to some online "songs" he'd done which were... not great. Decent playing, but non-memorable riffs, vocals by him (presumably) that made it obvious he was not born to sing, nor had he ever taken the time to try and figure out how to do so and some poorly programmed midi drum tracks. Overall, it sounded like something a high school kid would do with his buddies after washing down a dime bag with a bottle of mom's peppermint schnapps. But the playing was good, so he could clearly play our tunes.

q8akAFrCDyctRkvJyf8pe835Jvwk6A.jpg

He said he'd learn the song we sent and get back to us a few days later. The few days came and went and >crickets<.

Shot him a text just to check in before writing him off and he replied immediately with some out-of-nowhere mess about he couldn't believe we would treat him like a hired gun and he had more self respect than to just do what he was told and nothing more and that he had enough of that touring with the above mentioned star.

We were a little perplexed, but wished him luck and moved on.

This was 2-3 weeks ago.

Late Tuesday night he sent a text asking if the drummer and I wanted to jam with him in some new band he started with a guitar player he described as a "total beast!" I ran it past the drummer and we agreed to at least give the music a listen. We both thought it was odd that he was expecting us to be his "hired guns" now, but decided to give it a listen anyway.

Yesterday he sent us a "song" that he and the beast did.

Just as before, the guitar playing was good, technically sound, lots of scale runs, leads, whammy bar gymnastics, etc. No bass at all. Same "please stop doing that" vocals and poorly programmed drums. ZERO understanding of how to actually write a song, arrange parts, music theory or any of that. Just rando-riffs and showoff Guitar Center playing strung together one bar after another. There was no evidence of the aforementioned "beast hood" and I could blindly grab just about any entry in the TGF challenge and pull a more beastly guitar player, (minus my own cause I don't do leads). The song, at it's essence was very non-memorable wanna-be thrash metal. No hook, no groove, no "that one riff", nothing. In fact, by the time the song ended, both the drummer and I were just glad it was over (it's like 6 minutes long). Removing the technical proficiency of the actual guitar playing, the song sucks. It essentially sounds like someone in 1990 trying to rip off one of the lesser known, non-memorable 3rd or 4th wave thrash bands (through the lens of the above mentioned dime and schnapps :rofl ).

So, now we have to reply to the guy and tell him thanks but no thanks... a part of me wants to provide constructive criticism as I always like to help musicians any way I can, but based on his interactions in trying to "audition" for our band, I'm thinking that will go over like explosive diarrhea in the community swimming pool.

Curious who else has dealt with similar situations and has stories to share...

So, now we have to reply to the guy and tell him thanks but no thanks... a part of me wants to provide constructive criticism as I always like to help musicians any way I can, but based on his interactions in trying to "audition" for our band, I'm thinking that will go over like explosive diarrhea in the community swimming pool.

option 1: "Hey man, we really liked what you were doing and think you got something special... so that's why we think you'd be better off without us. You should really start your own band and make it happen."

option 2: respond back with a link to this page. This option could be interesting not just for you but for all of us.:grin

Either way, I wish you good luck in your band ventures. I know you'll find the right people.(y)

option 2: respond back with a link to this page. This option could be interesting not just for you but for all of us.:grin
:rofl :rofl :rofl
Either way, I wish you good luck in your band ventures. I know you'll find the right people.(y)
Thanks Ace! We seem to have found the right player last weekend. Great guy, has a very similar "vision", we get along great and so far he's ticked all the boxes. And he has yet to start a sentence with "guess I have to brag about myself..."

I had yesterday a very odd encounter. A guy responded to my ad saying he had a large studio and played several instruments. He's a retired oral surgeon. He doesn't do texting. Only emails and phone calls. He also doesn't have any online postings of his music or productions. We spoke on the phone for some time. He seemed to know what he was talking about but something was just odd. I agreed to meet up with him to chat at a local Starbucks. I get there and start talking to him and very soon afterward another guy he knows "just happens" to show up and sits down with us. At this point, I got the feeling the was some other weird alternative agenda going on. Second guy was sort of a space cadet who plays guitar. I asked 1st guy if had any pics of his studio. He pulls out his old beat up and screen cracked iPhone and shows me some pics of a very well appointed studio desk and outboard gear. Yet, I don't think he knows how to use any of it.

At this point I kinda demanded to hear some recordings or I was out of there. So we go to 1st guy's car. It's a 15 year old beat up Honda. There's no bluetooth or any way to listen to their music that guy 2 has on his phone. So guy 2 hands me his phone and listened through the phone speaker. He had some decent original recordings from what I could tell but they were all done 10-15 years ago. Nothing from this decade. There was some off topic conversation about partying and girls going on as if they were feeling me out. I knew I had to get out there. I got the suspicion these guys were more than just "music friends". You can guess what that might be.

I later googled the 1st guy's name and was indeed a local oral surgeon. His Linked in page says something like "take this job a shove it".

I had yesterday a very odd encounter. A guy responded to my ad saying he had a large studio and played several instruments. He's a retired oral surgeon. He doesn't do texting. Only emails and phone calls. He also doesn't have any online postings of his music or productions. We spoke on the phone for some time. He seemed to know what he was talking about but something was just odd. I agreed to meet up with him to chat at a local Starbucks. I get there and start talking to him and very soon afterward another guy he knows "just happens" to show up and sits down with us. At this point, I got the feeling the was some other weird alternative agenda going on. Second guy was sort of a space cadet who plays guitar. I asked 1st guy if had any pics of his studio. He pulls out his old beat up and screen cracked iPhone and shows me some pics of a very well appointed studio desk and outboard gear. Yet, I don't think he knows how to use any of it.

At this point I kinda demanded to hear some recordings or I was out of there. So we go to 1st guy's car. It's a 15 year old beat up Honda. There's no bluetooth or any way to listen to their music that guy 2 has on his phone. So guy 2 hands me his phone and listened through the phone speaker. He had some decent original recordings from what I could tell but they were all done 10-15 years ago. Nothing from this decade. There was some off topic conversation about partying and girls going on as if they were feeling me out. I knew I had to get out there. I got the suspicion these guys were more than just "music friends". You can guess what that might be.

I later googled the 1st guy's name and was indeed a local oral surgeon. His Linked in page says something like "take this job a shove it".
Yeesh. Sounds like a dating app meet-up gone wrong more than a musician thing. Sadly, the similarities for me in finding a guitar player and finding a girlfriend are eerie and have led to some similar encounters. Glad you got outta there unscathed.

I've had plenty of musicians come for audition for my current band and when its time to play then the excuses start....I admit im difficult guy to deal with when it comes to music... I know what i want to play and I cant change what i am....I want to play fast thrash and i dont want anything else.....

Ive had singers saying im this, that ... i send them track to sing over ( sing not scream ) they either send me pig squealing noises or random screams or i dont hear from them at all..

with guitarist its the same ... im this im that bla bla here is the song learn it I send them videos showing how to play note for note..... i hear nothing....

well, bassist cant read ads :roflso, i found my bassist through my old drummer.

I got lucky with my current band they are most dedicated peeps ive played with so far and they show up every rehearsal unless there is emergency or they are sick. which is rare,

keep searching bro, there is a band out there for you.

Last edited:
“Ya know, I think we’re just on a different page with our goals, but good luck and we’ll surely play some shows together in the future!”

I’m at the point now where I’m setting myself up to enjoy these types of people because once I start putting a band together, I’m going to deal with a ton of them until I find the guys, if it’s like previous years. Fortunately, I’m not as willing to waste time these days and I still think I might do the ‘live musicians wanted ad’ by booking gigs where I’m just playing to bass/drum tracks and doing the guitars/vocals live and telling people to come see me if they’re interested or know anyone who wants to play that kind of music.

“Ya know, I think we’re just on a different page with our goals, but good luck and we’ll surely play some shows together in the future!”
That's probably the best reply I could give.

It's certainly better than:

"Not interested, but let us know when you play out - ever since the local Improve closed it's been hard to find a live laugh..."

(Honestly and all joking aside, dude can play, just needs the right people to jam with, like we all do...)

I have heard (second-hand) about a lot of "beasts" over the years, and I am now convinced it is the equivalent
of the 1st grade recess argument boys have about whose Dad is bigger/better/badder than everyone else's is.

:idk

Cue the fishing story next. Or how many women ya didn't actually sleep with. :LOL:

Back