Until We Meet Again.....

la szum

Goatlord
I received a phone call via Facebook Messenger from someone I have not seen in person in almost 40 years.
Charlie Kl++ts popped up on my screen and I immediately think "Someone has died or is dying." This is what
happens when you get old-ish.

I didn't answer, but I did call back. It was Charlie. Charlie and is family were monumental in my teenage years
inspiring me to play guitar. His parents divorced and his Mom and her new Husband moved across the street
from where I lived. Charlie lived with his Dad, but would come and visit on weekends. He played guitar. His brother
Jim (who became a best friend!) played Bass. They had a family band and Jim was gigging on Bass at 14 and
Charlie was playing guitar in Bars at 16. I ended up going to watch them play and we stayed above the Bar
from Friday to Sunday having the time of our lives.

Charlie was a Giant to me. He taught me my first few riffs. I asked him to show me the Riff to Dio's "Rainbow
In The Dark" and he did. My guitar would go out of tune and I would ask Jim, "Is Charlie coming this weekend.
I need my guitar tuned." :lol

They had a younger sister, who ended up fronting a band we formed after I was discharged from Military service
post-High School. We did Journey and Pat Benatar, among others. "Hell Is For Children" was my favourite. She
ended up enlisting, too. So the band perished.

Anyway, back to the phone call. I called Charlie back expecting the worst. It rang. He picked up. We chatted. "Let's
get off the is FB thing. I'll text you my number. Call me back."

Charlie enlisted and served overseas. Retired from the Army. Last I knew he was living the South somewhere and
doing gigs with his little Sister. I was expecting to hear some bad news about his brother Jim who I had not seen
in 30 years. And the last time I saw Charlie we jammed when I was home on leave from the Navy in like 1987.

"What's up?"

"Sorry about the Facebook thing. I didn't know how else to get a hold of you."

"Is everything ok? You have me worried"

"Yeah. Everything's good. You still in Lew+++n?"

"I am. Why?

"We just bought a house here."

"No fucking way!"

So, the one guy as responsible for me playing music as anyone else just bought an home in the same area I live in.
Have not seen him 37 years by my count. But will be meeting him for coffee later today as we go check out the
Rally Cars downtown, and catch up.

Life is a trip. Life is a freaking trip! :beer

These types of calls can be weird. I ran into the mother of a really old friend of mine one day at the grocery store. I talked to her for a little while. His birthday was in a few days. I mentioned to her that I had thought about calling because I hadn't talked to him in decades. She said I should call him and that his number was the same as it was back then. I called him on his birthday. He thought I was someone that he worked with punking him. I asked him how would they even know about me or know what my name was and that we were best friends in our youth. He got quiet for a minute then changed his tone a bit. He still seemed skeptical through the rest of the call. I haven't called him since then and that has now been more than a decade ago.

I received a phone call via Facebook Messenger from someone I have not seen in person in almost 40 years.
Charlie Kl++ts popped up on my screen and I immediately think "Someone has died or is dying." This is what

I didn't answer, but I did call back. It was Charlie. Charlie and is family were monumental in my teenage years
inspiring me to play guitar. His parents divorced and his Mom and her new Husband moved across the street
from where I lived. Charlie lived with his Dad, but would come and visit on weekends. He played guitar. His brother
Jim (who became a best friend!) played Bass. They had a family band and Jim was gigging on Bass at 14 and
Charlie was playing guitar in Bars at 16. I ended up going to watch them play and we stayed above the Bar

Charlie was a Giant to me. He taught me my first few riffs. I asked him to show me the Riff to Dio's "Rainbow
In The Dark" and he did. My guitar would go out of tune and I would ask Jim, "Is Charlie coming this weekend.

They had a younger sister, who ended up fronting a band we formed after I was discharged from Military service
post-High School. We did Journey and Pat Benatar, among others. "Hell Is For Children" was my favourite. She

Anyway, back to the phone call. I called Charlie back expecting the worst. It rang. He picked up. We chatted. "Let's

Charlie enlisted and served overseas. Retired from the Army. Last I knew he was living the South somewhere and
doing gigs with his little Sister. I was expecting to hear some bad news about his brother Jim who I had not seen
in 30 years. And the last time I saw Charlie we jammed when I was home on leave from the Navy in like 1987.

"What's up?"

"I am. Why?

"No fucking way!"

So, the one guy as responsible for me playing music as anyone else just bought an home in the same area I live in.
Have not seen him 37 years by my count. But will be meeting him for coffee later today as we go check out the

That's awesome!
These types of calls can be weird. I ran into the mother of a really old friend of mine one day at the grocery store. I talked to her for a little while. His birthday was in a few days. I mentioned to her that I had thought about calling because I hadn't talked to him in decades. She said I should call him and that his number was the same as it was back then. I called him on his birthday. He thought I was someone that he worked with punking him. I asked him how would they even know about me or know what my name was and that we were best friends in our youth. He got quiet for a minute then changed his tone a bit. He still seemed skeptical through the rest of the call. I haven't called him since then and that has now been more than a decade ago.
That's awkward....

Conspiracy theorist?

Great story! Always great to connect with folks from your past that had a good influence on you!

Hope all goes well!

I’ve got a similar situation with an old friendship I’m always meaning to rekindle. Some folks just take a long, elliptical orbit through your life. It can be weird.

That's very cool! Love the click-bait title -- youtube style.:rofl
This thread needs to change
introspection GIF

"What's up?"

"I am. Why?

"No fucking way!"

At first I was like:

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

But then I was like:

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

"What's up?"

"I am. Why?

"No fucking way!"

Moments like this is what we as humans are made for… love.

Man, that was fun.... and my head is still spinning in circles from the unexpected nature of it all.

We met at the local Pub, which looks like an old log cabin, because it is. Had a few beers, which
I never do at 3PM on a Friday.

We talked family, kids, music, guitars, playing live, silent stages, IEMs, tube amps, recording, playing
for the song, wanking obnoxiously in a Power Trio, and an whole bunch more.

Still don't quite fathom all of this. I wonder if I am going to die soon. :LOL:

Where's Oprah, because this damn sure feels like one of those "full circle moments" she has prattled
on and on about over the years. :rofl

Invited him to our weekly jam sesh. I am literally the only person he knows, or has an history with, in
this little town. He's dude's dude (Army War Vet!) but at the end of our time together he said, "I am
even up for friendship type stuff, too. Doesn't have to be music related."

That touched me. As adults it can be challenging meeting new people and making friends, so I am
looking forward to introducing him to the crude cast of characters I am surrounded by. Seriously,
what a cool experience..... and it kind of feels like a big part of it is just getting started---if I am not
actually dying and Archangel Oprah doesn't have her hands all over this. :LOL:

:beer

Oh, and we talked rigs. Of course we did! Tube amp lover through and through, but
also realistic and practical---so he has a Synergy Friedman Preamp running into a
Fryette PS-2 as one of his primary gigging rigs before moving here. :beer

Last year I was contacted by a guy I used to know many years ago.
We went through high school together in the 70's. Inseparable, best mates.
In 1980 - 82 we played in a band together. Great times. Still remember a lot of those gigs. Travelling in a beat up van, lying on top of the gear in the back.
After the band split, he met a girl, got married, had kids, and inevitably we went our seperate ways.
Fast forward to last year, I was surprised when he got in touch. Wanted to meet up,
have a few drinks, talk about old times.
So we met in a bar.
I couldn't believe he was the same guy.
Miserable as f**k, trying to make conversation with him was like trying to light a fire underwater. What an asshole he had become!
I thought why did he even bother contacting me? ( He got my number from a mutual acquaintance).
It's great when you can reacquaint with friends from your past.
Unfortunately my experience was less than satisfying

Back