Black Sabbath debut - 2/1970
Deep Purple In Rock - 6/1970
Black Sabbath Paranoid - 9/1970
Led Zeppelin III - 10/1970
Deep Purple Fireball - 7/1971
Black Sabbath Masters of Reality - 8/1971
Led Zeppelin IV - 11/1971

All came out in a 2 years span :oops:
To every young boy sick of the 60s and their older siblings non stop two minute bubblegum pop songs on the radio....

IT WAS F**KING NIRVANA!!!!
How could you not get a guitar?

:headbang:headbang:headbang

Last edited:
Vai - Passion and Warfare,
This not only sent me on a mission to learn as many of those genius melodies as I could, but it also ignited a lifelong love affair with Eventide. I was 16 or 17 when PAW dropped. I bought a Universe GMC 77 shortly after. Still have it too.

Dayglo Abortions. Hearing that quiet count in, moving in to the speaker to hear then BOOM! The chords, drums and palm mutes....Heard the whole thing and then the other side of the record, Proud to be a Canadian, those four chords and the finger squeak noises of the slides...Had to have a guitar after that

I was standing in the rain, with my head hung low. Bummed that I couldn't get a ticket, to the sold out show. I heard the roar of the crowd, I could totally picture the scene. So I put my ear to the wall, then like a distant scream. I heard one guitar, and it just blew me away! I saw stars! And then the very next day, I bought a beat up Ibanez, from my dope dealer. Didn't know how to play it, but I knew for sure that one guitar, felt good. And it really didn't take long, to understand with just one guitar, slung way down low I had a one way ticket, to buying so many more...

This not only sent me on a mission to learn as many of those genius melodies as I could, but it also ignited a lifelong love affair with Eventide. I was 16 or 17 when PAW dropped. I bought a Universe GMC 77 shortly after. Still have it too.

That's a beauty!
PAW definitely fueled the desire to learn as much as I could. Such a brilliant album. I would have been 16 in mid '91, so I guess the album had been out a year. Vai's melodies are what grabbed me too, same with Satch. That's what really makes those guys great imo.

Well music itself was a passion for me since before I could read, so around 4 I think (68.) I used to eagerly anticipate visiting Mum's house and listening to my aunt's 45's.

As for guitar, it was probably my next door neighbor, Beth, who had an acoustic, and the tablature to Stairway To Heaven. And seeing my later bud playing his Goldtop at a coffee house in my freshman year. He ran thru Jimmy Page solos like he wrote them! I was about 15. I was in awe of him.

Beth took her guitar and that tab with her to summer camp, but as soon as she got back, she gave it up to me (yeah, that too!)
Learned it note-for-note, bought a LP copy and a Peavey Classic 50 combo, and was hooked.

And not too shortly after, that dude playing that Goldtop joined my band!

Well music itself was a passion for me since before I could read, so around 4 I think (68.) I used to eagerly anticipate visiting Mum's house and listening to my aunt's 45's.

As for guitar, it was probably my next door neighbor, Beth, who had an acoustic, and the tablature to Stairway To Heaven. And seeing my later bud playing his Goldtop at a coffee house in my freshman year. He ran thru Jimmy Page solos like he wrote them! I was about 15. I was in awe of him.

Beth took her guitar and that tab with her to summer camp, but as soon as she got back, she gave it up to me (yeah, that too!)
Learned it note-for-note, bought a LP copy and a Peavey Classic 50 combo, and was hooked.

And not too shortly after, that dude playing that Goldtop joined my band!
:grin

1987. I was 12 years old. No one in my family ever really had an interest in music or played any instruments but my cousin started dating some kid who was really into metal. By extension she got interested and turned me on to Anthrax. There were so many bands around at the time and I was a sponge. It just snowballed from there. Wasn’t long until I was obsessed with guitar and taking lessons at Howard Herberts in Philly.
I distinctly remember, when I really wanted a guitar and amp and lessons and non stop talking about it, my dad saying this was gonna be another phase like WWF and Skateboarding and BMX and all the things that came before. But here I am 36 years later and still obsessed with guitar.

I was standing in the rain, with my head hung low. Bummed that I couldn't get a ticket, to the sold out show. I heard the roar of the crowd, I could totally picture the scene. So I put my ear to the wall, then like a distant scream. I heard one guitar, and it just blew me away! I saw stars! And then the very next day, I bought a beat up Ibanez, from my dope dealer. Didn't know how to play it, but I knew for sure that one guitar, felt good. And it really didn't take long, to understand with just one guitar, slung way down low I had a one way ticket, to buying so many more...
I don't know if you intended it,
But that read like a poem!

Vai's melodies are what grabbed me too, same with Satch.
100%. Even to this day. One of the only few pure guitar instrumentalists I am able to listen to without note fatigue. Their songs are the rare ones that don't feel like a barrage of notes hitting every micro second, which seems to be quite the trend these days.

I was standing in the rain, with my head hung low.
Bummed that I couldn't get a ticket, to the sold out show.
I heard the roar of the crowd, I could totally picture the scene.
So I put my ear to the wall, then like a distant scream.

I heard one guitar, and it just blew me away!
I saw stars! And then the very next day,
I bought a beat up Ibanez, from my dope dealer.
Didn't know how to play it, but I knew for sure
that one guitar, felt good.

And it really didn't take long, to understand
with just one guitar, slung way down low
I had a one way ticket, to buying so many more...
FIFY

Back