What were the first 3 records you bought when you had money?

First album for me was "Animals" by Pink Floyd! Don't remember what 2 and 3 were (probably Zappa, King Crimson, Bowie, something like that)!!

I played that "Animals" album EVERY morning before going to school for over a year. When my English teacher asked us all to bring in a song to play so we could talk about it and analyze it (coolest in school assignment ever), I brought in the "Animals" album and played "Dogs". At 17+ minutes long, he wanted me to choose another song, but I insisted and because he was aware of what this song was about, he allowed it. Unfortunately (and I knew this was going to happen), right after it finished, the bell rang and class was over. I could see the look of disapointment on his face as we all filed out of the classroom because he really wanted to talk about that songs meaning with us, but alas, it never happened. I smirked on my way out the door with my vinyl! I GUARANTEE only 1 or 2 other people in the class understood what that song was saying ;~))

RockandRollOverLP.png

DestroyerLP.png
These two, plus Kiss Alive. I had some catching up to do after is was introduced to them on the Paul Lynde Halloween Special!

Metallica
U2 - Achtung baby
Def Lepard - Adrenalise.

I was 11 and it was 91.

Bonus points to the person who can tell me why I bought these 3 particular albums.

i used to collect my pocket money and then I would go to open market and buy knock off cassettes kill em all , ride lightning, master....:crazy

times were tough in 90s in Georgia ( country not a state ) :grin

Though question, I'm not sure I remember them correctly.

I'm quite sure first LP I've bought is Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, probably in 1987.
Second I bet was the 1st Dire Straits record (Dire Straits)
Third one I have no idea but I believe was a Pink Floyd one (probably Wish you were here) or the 2nd Dire Straits record (Communiqué).

I'm 100% sure I've spent my first money buying Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin LPs and nothing else.

The first CD I owned has been Dream Theater Images and Words back in 1992.

First album for me was "Animals" by Pink Floyd! Don't remember what 2 and 3 were (probably Zappa, King Crimson, Bowie, something like that)!!

I played that "Animals" album EVERY morning before going to school for over a year. When my English teacher asked us all to bring in a song to play so we could talk about it and analyze it (coolest in school assignment ever), I brought in the "Animals" album and played "Dogs". At 17+ minutes long, he wanted me to choose another song, but I insisted and because he was aware of what this song was about, he allowed it. Unfortunately (and I knew this was going to happen), right after it finished, the bell rang and class was over. I could see the look of disapointment on his face as we all filed out of the classroom because he really wanted to talk about that songs meaning with us, but alas, it never happened. I smirked on my way out the door with my vinyl! I GUARANTEE only 1 or 2 other people in the class understood what that song was saying ;~))

awesome teacher!

What a great story. And excellent taste! :beer

I have listened to that Album a few times in the past month. It is SO good. Might be Floyd's
most overlooked and underappreciated LP, too.

Also had a similar Teacher in 6th grade. Music Teacher. He'd do the same thing by having us bring in
music and playing it in Class. Ended up being more a Music Appreciation Class than anything else. It
was were I first heard Tom Petty. 1979? He also had a Moog he brought to Class and let us twiddle
the knobs and make spaceship noises! :LOL:

What a great story. And excellent taste! :beer

I have listened to that Album a few times in the past month. It is SO good. Might be Floyd's
most overlooked and underappreciated LP, too.

Also had a similar Teacher in 6th grade. Music Teacher. He'd do the same thing by having us bring in
music and playing it in Class. Ended up being more a Music Appreciation Class than anything else. It
was were I first heard Tom Petty. 1979? He also had a Moog he brought to Class and let us twiddle
the knobs and make spaceship noises! :LOL:
The commonalities continue! Thanks for the kind words ;~)) I must say, I have not listened to it in years. My musical routine these days includes very little listening and a lot of playing/creating! I tried to start an "Album Club" with friends about 5 years ago. Similar to a book club but we would listen to the album together and then discuss it. Enthusiasm was high, until it came time to actually do something, then everyone found reasons to not participate!

As for PF's most underappreciated LP, I have to go with my all time favorite from them which most people have likely never heard or even heard of, "Obscured By Clouds". It came out right before DSOTM and was a soundtrack album from a French movie called "The Valley" (La Valee). For many years, I tried to track down that movie because I loved that album so much. In the late 90's, I finally found the movie and it crushed me! Why? Number one, the movie was pretty lame IMO but most importantly (and most crushing), only tiny clips of each song was used. I don't know why I was expecting more, I just wanted to see that music really shine along with the movie and I thought it was more of an embarassment in how that great audio was used. Such is life!

Awesome that you had a similar experience in school. Ours was a one time thing that lasted maybe two weeks in class. Would have been great to have that all year! And play with a Moog, ultra cool! Thanks for sharing that cool bit of your history!!!

I've always loved that record and when I was teenager Wot's uh the deal was one of my favourite songs to play and sing on the acoustic
That's on my list of songs to learn to play, and I am many decades past teenager! Every time I start to try to play it, the number of chords sends me looking for easier material (lazy ass that I am). I know it is not that complicated, just a lot of chords. Cool that you dig it and played it!! I have been playing "Fearless" from Meddle which is my favorite Floyd song ever! "Free Four" is my fav on Obscured! The opening line has been an inspiration for decades ;~))

Back