What were the first 3 records you bought when you had money?

Europe - The Final Countdown
Scorpions - Savage Amusement
Munich Symphonic Sound Orchestra - Pop Goes Classic

81pjB9w5aPL._SL1500_.jpg
41H3G69ASNL.jpg
81FacwA04BL._SL1500_.jpg

Used to be able to buy 45s of the Top 40 Singles in a Pharmacy in my hometown for $1.00 a piece.

Inherited a lot of music from my Aunts. Best friend in Elementary School lived 3 houses down and
his older brother played in a band. That's where I heard Hendrix for the first time. My 5-6 year old self
thought he was weird as fuck! :LOL:

We would sneak into his older siblings bedrooms and listen to vinyl. Heard Foreigner's debut album
there for the first time, and Fleetwood Mac, and Boston's first album.

Hard to know what my first albums purchased with my own money were-----because it feels like
music was never not a central element in my life.

I know I begged my Mom to let me join Columbia House and did that whole thing. Back when
Labels were so rich they have away free music. :idk

Here’s a box set from decades ago of The Stones .
It also came shrinkwrapped with a T-Shirt that’s long gone
IMG_0397.jpeg

Honestly not sure. Most of the first albums I got were either gifts or things I convinced my parents to buy before I had an allowance.

I got Nirvana Nevermind and Alice In Chains Dirt because my dad's friend bought them and didn't like them and gave them to me. There were a few more CD's like that which I bugged my parents to get, like Stone Temple Pilots Core and Candlebox's first album.

1994 is when I first started collecting albums, and I remember I bugged my parents to get my Stone Temple Pilots Purple and REM's Monster. Also for Christmas that year my parents who realized I was getting obsessed with music bought me a CD holder with like 10 albums in it, including Weezer's blue album, Soundgarden Superunknown, Toad The Wet Sprocket Dulcinea, Offspring Smash, Green Day Dookie, Nirvana Unplugged, etc.

I do remember literally going into the couch cushions to find enough change to buy Green Day Insomniac and bugging my parents to drive me to the store.

Also, around that time my parents did the Columbia House thing and I got a bunch of "free" CD's there too. I think I got Nirvana In Utero and Sheryl Crow's Tuesday Night Music Club among others.

Spin Doctors - Pocket Full Of Kryptonite
The Beavis And Butthead Experience
Guns And Roses Use Your Illusions II

Then immediately after that got one of those CDNow or BMG Music things and got-

Weezer - Blue Album
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Nirvana - Nevermind

I had that Beavis and Butthead album! Really random collection of songs.

If memory serves me right
Even cassettes had that issue with only 2 sides.
Freebird was split up I think 🤔
Even more odd is that I still remember exactly where my Led Zeppelin 2 album popped and skipped , in my minds eye I still here it even on the radio 🤪

I had so many CD's that skipped in a certain spot that I would flinch listening to the songs on the radio. Eventually I untrained myself when I got Spotify!

If I remember correctly, these were the first three recordings (cassettes) that I purchased with my own money:

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1467.png

IMG_1465.png

And for the hell of it, the very first recording (45 RPM vinyl) I ever owned. I was absolutely obsessed with this song because of the robot and futuristic theme:

IMG_1468.jpeg

Used to be able to buy 45s of the Top 40 Singles in a Pharmacy in my hometown for $1.00 a piece.
Same here, only it was a little-bit-o-everything store called The Artist's Flat. They had a hand-written chart on the front of the counter listing that week's Top 40. I went in there one day and bought like 12 new releases, and when I got back out to the car, my father actually made me take them all back into the store and get my money back! Told me I should SAVE my money instead, and someday I'd thank him. Like, had he NOT noticed how much I loved music?

It's no wonder I'm fucked up. You're supposed to cultivate your child's interests.

Well not only did that day never come, DAD, but I DID save my money, and bought a Silverburst Les Paul.

Same here, only it was a little-bit-o-everything store called The Artist's Flat. They had a hand-written chart on the front of the counter listing that week's Top 40. I went in there one day and bought like 12 new releases, and when I got back out to the car, my father actually made me take them all back into the store and get my money back! Told me I should SAVE my money instead, and someday I'd thank him. Like, had he NOT noticed how much I loved music?

It's no wonder I'm fucked up. You're supposed to cultivate your child's interests.

Well not only did that day never come, DAD, but I DID save my money, and bought a Silverburst Les Paul.

Oh, man! Sorry, Tom. :hugitout

I went in there one day and bought like 12 new releases, and when I got back out to the car, my father actually made me take them all back into the store and get my money back!
Man, I don’t know where’d I’d be if my father hadn’t encouraged my musical interests. I’d probably be a John Mayer fan.

It’s all starts to blend together. I do know the first three cassettes I convinced my folks to buy me were GNR Appetite For Destruction, Living Colour Vivid, and AC/DC Back In Black.

I begged my folks to sign me up for the 12 for the price of 1 Cd deal and promised that I’d pay for the rest out of my yard mowing money but I don’t think I actually paid them anything, and my mom bought the rest for herself. :ROFLMAO: That initial 12 was all the alternative stuff of the time. (SP, AiC, PJ, Nirvana etc)

The first two CD’s I definitively bought with my own money was Hum’s You’d Prefer An Astronaut and Silverchair’s Frogstomp.

Back