Just Listened To A Couple Mammoth WVH Songs On The Way To Work And...

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
So I've been ripping music to my phone lately to listen to at work, and this morning I loaded 2 Mammoth WVH songs, You're To Blame and Take A Bow, and they were the first songs to play in my truck on my ride in.

HOLEE Bass Response Batman!!! It was unbelievable!! My truck has a sub under the back seat, and the recording and production was just absolutely mind-blowing!! Crisp, clear, LOUD, with thick bass..., man, how is that done?

I mean, when the next songs came on, one of which was High Hopes, it was noticeably different. I mean, it was later PF, so it also had great production, but not as good.

I wanted to just grab some random person and put them in my seat and say, "Listen to this!!"

Indeed. Listen to the kick drum in “Take A Bow”, you hear the drum actually resonating from start to finish and that oomph that moves through a kick when it’s hit, you never hear that shit on albums anymore because the sample is generally sucking up all the room. Great mix all around. I mean, he kinda recorded it in a tried and true joint. :rofl You may have seen me say it, but he used Frankie and THE Marshall for the solo on that song.

But yeah, it is nice to hear some people that are really putting effort into legit production and making the instruments sound as good as they can without samples all over the place, or copy and pasting everything. Avenged Sevenfold has been doing that for the last two albums as well.

It was just fucking KILLER man!! I can't recall hearing anything that rich and full in my truck like that. It was nice to be reminded how much I love that stereo. And that SUB!!

It’s my favorite place to listen to music. It’s just the stock system, but that’s fine; it starts farting out just past the unsafe listening level, it sounds great right where I need it to sound great to save my hearing. :rofl

That's the sound of 5150, right? I wonder if Donn Landee is still helping out??

No Landee, Wiki says it’s the same group of people on both albums-

IMG_1182.png

For some reason I think I read he did some of the newest album at 606, but I might be confusing that with someone else. Or he did the drums there? There’s a few bands that have just done drums there, I couldn’t for the life of me imagine why.

It’s my favorite place to listen to music. It’s just the stock system, but that’s fine; it starts farting out just past the unsafe listening level, it sounds great right where I need it to sound great to save my hearing. :rofl
I was sitting in line to get my Latte, and I had it cranked to the max, and I just know those soccer moms in the line next to me heard it!! Haha

Yeah, I like Lattes and VH junior! (And Sr!)

I bet none of the VH albums that were recorded there sound that good! :sofa

I don't know. 5150 was the best sounding album in my Car Stereo in 1988. :idk

That "Summer Nights" intro was the shit as far as sonics go. The Martin Birch produced
Iron Maiden Albums (Powerslave, Piece of Mind) were right up there, too.

They still hold up. But I am a fan of the lost midrange everyone has forsaken in the past
30 years and not always a fan of the overhyped Bass and Sub-Harmonics added in in post.

In other words, old fucker who is not sorry even a little. :LOL:

I agree that Wolfie's albums sound amazing. That's another thing he is borrowing from Dave
Grohl----besides everything else. :rofl

Speaking of..... the Foos Wasting Light is fucking amazeballs album from a sound and production
perspective, too.

I highly recommend listening the latest Wong Notes (Cory Wong Podcast) episode with WVH. Lots of good nuggets in there. Today I learned that he plays every instrument on his recordings, which were recorded at the 5150 Studio BTW:

Anyone watch the latest Shred With Shifty episode with Wolfgang? He pulls out the Frankenstrat for a minute. Even on screen it’s hard to believe that he’s holding the ACTUAL Frankenstrat and not just a replica that we’ve gotten so used to seeing on YouTube videos.

Skip to 13:05 if you didn’t want to watch the whole video.

Nice! He's often touted Aaron Marshall as one of his fave guitarists. I'm, clueless, and what I
did listen to was a lot of the weedles?? :idk

Nice! He's often touted Aaron Marshall as one of his fave guitarists. I'm, clueless, and what I
did listen to was a lot of the weedles?? :idk

I know he’s in that djent-realm of players but I’m going to wait for the show to check out the music. If I’m this close to it, I’d rather experience it that way for the first time. I’m sure I’ve heard them/him before.

I might bring my EVH head to the venue, I’m not one much for autographs, but I think it’d be cool if I got Wolf to sign the head. The busses park in front of the venue there and I think this Sunday is the jazz brunch down there. That’s how I met Devin Townsend, just walking by the venue occasionally while enjoying the jazz brunch. I’ll be parking about 400 feet from the venue so I can just toss the amp back in my truck.

Back