What do you think of the new TONEX Mesa Amps?

Lonely Rocker

Groupie
TONEX may be the one to watch in the modeling world. With captures like the Mesa Reference Collection they may be on to something. With an upgraded device they could be the one to watch. My spin on the new Mesa Boogie Collection.

TONEX may be the one to watch in the modeling world. With captures like the Mesa Reference Collection they may be on to something. With an upgraded device they could be the one to watch. My spin on the new Mesa Boogie Collection.

Haven't tried them yet. What do you think about them?

Haven't tried them yet. What do you think about them?
They are pretty amazing. I'm admittedly not that experienced with Boogie amps but have other high gain amps. But the tones I got for the track I created for this video are pretty great.

I'm writing this without watching this video or otherwise exposing myself to these captures but: my expectations are low. Based on the factory captures included with TONEX, my idea of a good high gain tone exists on a completely different planet compared to the folks at IKM. The stock captures do nothing for me and went immediately into the proverbial trash.

I'm writing this without watching this video or otherwise exposing myself to these captures but: my expectations are low. Based on the factory captures included with TONEX, my idea of a good high gain tone exists on a completely different planet compared to the folks at IKM. The stock captures do nothing for me and went immediately into the proverbial trash.
We all have different expectations of tone. I'm a staunch amp guy and keep several active in my studio. But mixed right some of these modeled tones are indiscernible from real amps in a mix. If you do watch it, I'd be curious about your thoughts...

Kyunghyun Cho on X: me: I feel bad for you AC: I don't think about you at  all #ICML2023 Metareview progress ···················· 91.16%  https://t.co/LvtwbjUWFU / X

Putting aside whether these are awesome or sh$t or relatively cheap or up the ar$e expensive ... and noting I don't have or use a Tonex Pedal anymore .... partnership's like this - and there will be more -simply demonstrate that *if* there is an emerging leader in the pro-semi-pro AI "industry standard" static capturing segment, it is and will continue to be IK / Tonex ... in its current structural form it will never be NAM .... no matter how many null tests anyone produces.

Simply put .... if you are Fender or Mesa or Vox etc.... you have the choice of partnering with a state of the art ecosystem with world wide sales and reach and support ....or a bunch of transient home hobbyists using a free platform in a totally decentralised and inconsistent form/structure.

Ben "now awaiting the flaming that NAM is %0.02 better" Ifin

Ben

Putting aside whether these are awesome or sh$t or relatively cheap or up the ar$e expensive ... and noting I don't have or use a Tonex Pedal anymore .... partnership's like this - and there will be more -simply demonstrate that *if* there is an emerging leader in the pro-semi-pro AI "industry standard" static capturing segment, it is and will continue to be IK / Tonex ... in its current structural form it will never be NAM .... no matter how many null tests anyone produces.

Simply put .... if you are Fender or Mesa or Vox etc.... you have the choice of partnering with a state of the art ecosystem with world wide sales and reach and support ....or a bunch of transient home hobbyists using a free platform in a totally decentralised and inconsistent form/structure.

Ben
But are you still enjoying the Kemper 😀

Ben
No offense but this is word salad. And I have the Tonex.

But are you still enjoying the Kemper 😀

Haha ..... %100

As a total side note .... interestingly, I just picked up locally a really great [as new] buy on a GX100 .... early days ... I had the GT for a long time and it was my last - quite regretful - sale of everything once I moved over to the KPA.

If you use or need or want IR's - never ever ever [currently] - buy a GX100 .... it completely borks / mangles them ..... totally unusable .... they sound like they have 15 Blankets and 9 Doona's over the speaker ... no amount of PEQ and GEQ can ever fix them.

But holy-sh%t-balls ..... they have clearly and definitely changed the algorithms [ I have settings and my reference recordings of my GT tones ] and the feel and response and tones of the Amp and AIRD-Cab Block is just off the charts good ..... still the same limited number of Amps ... but less AIRD Cabs than the GT ..... but its 1/3rd the price ... and to my very early testing .... sounds and feels better than the GT .... and yes .... I know .... before some of you post saying something like ..... "well that's not hard" ..... I'll get in early and assure you that you are wrong ;) :)

No offense but this is word salad. And I have the Tonex.

Hey ...... comparing anything I write to the "father of the word salad" ...... man-boy-I-could-define-God-but-it-would-take-me-40-hours-to-do-it Jordan Peterson .... well, I take as the worst of insults :) ;)

I actually thought what I wrote was pretty clear and obvious ?? ... in short ..... the semi-pro / pro side of the Industry that needs or wants the "best" Static AI Captures, are and will increasingly move to seeing Tonex as their only viable solution - for the reasons I posted .... and NAM ... also for the reasons I posted..... will never be a player in that space.

And I should also have noted that as we speak, the "default industry standard" for non-AI capturing ... being the Kemper ... still currently has this market pretty much cornered and I suspect will for quite some time yet

I like words ! :)

I thought NDSP would jump on 'official' packs first but apparently IK got ahead.
And yes, I think it's designed to squeeze every last dollar out of your g.a.s-y ass.

What's the old saying ..... " its called the music business for a reason " ;)

Ben

Ben

I have zero interest need or want and will never buy this product.

Yes it sounds very pricey ...... but how many Captures are there ? they were set up and recorded professionally with probably 00's of 000's of $$ of high end gear in professionally treated studio environments etc ....... none of the current "one man band" Capture makers will ever have this kind of gear .... and it does make a big difference ... and they were dialled in by people who helped design build and tweak these amps over decades - they know all the sweet spots in these Amps .... lets face it ... i.m.h.o ....Mesa's are very easy to make sound sh%t ... and not super easy to make sound awesome ...... I'm guessing this whole process took many days if not a week or two ....... you could easily argue that $100 is actually very cheap for what you are buying (?)

Ben " current CEO and CFO of Mesa Boogie Industries Ltd " Ifin

Everything goes according to plan.
I thought NDSP would jump on 'official' packs first but apparently IK got ahead.
And yes, I think it's designed to squeeze every last dollar out of your g.a.s-y ass.

Yep. I would %100 expect upcoming packs from Fender and Friedman and Soldano and probably even Vox ..
amongst others ... maybe even Marshall ... it's super easy money all round ..... as you say .... this was always the plan .... only reason NDSP haven't done it yet is that their Store still isn't up and running ... but if you want to run and load their plugins on your QC ..... you gotta pay ..
so they kind of already have done something similar.

Hey ...... comparing anything I write to the "father of the word salad" ...... man-boy-I-could-define-God-but-it-would-take-me-40-hours-to-do-it Jordan Peterson .... well, I take as the worst of insults :) ;)

I actually thought what I wrote was pretty clear and obvious ?? ... in short ..... the semi-pro / pro side of the Industry that needs or wants the "best" Static AI Captures, are and will increasingly move to seeing Tonex as their only viable solution - for the reasons I posted .... and NAM ... also for the reasons I posted..... will never be a player in that space.
What you wrote amounted to Mesa endorsed Tonex and this is a proof that Mesa should endorse Tonex.
And then you continued saying that while IK is a player and NAM isn't because of this reason but:
1. IK Multimedia is a company, Tonex is a product and NAM is an open source project on github. How would Mesa endorse NAM?
2. Tonex comes with a bunch of "Official" captures built in and to be honest they suck compared to what you can find for free on tonenet. There's no reason, with this type of devices, to think that Mesa is better at making captures than people who've been doing this for a decade with Kemper and now are working with Tonex. Does Tonex offer the most accurate captures in a pedal format? Yes. Does Mesa working with them hae anything to do with that? Absolutely not.
3. Nam is already more accurate and because it's open source a ton of people can put in effort and improve it. It's just a matter of time before someone implements it in hardware format. If the stars align and the latency is low and it includes a bunch of nice FX .... tonex pedal is done.

In fact, despite owning the Tonex, I'm rooting for NAM 100%. Why should I support close sourced software when better open source software is available?

This is just my factual, objective and true opinion of course. :grin :grin :grin

Last edited:
Back