What are we watching now?

See also Tyler Perry's Straight Outta Compton Featuring Jaleel White.

Watched Rockstar over the weekend, aside from it not coming in 5.1 ( :hmm ) it’s just as f*cking great as it was the last 500,000x I watched it. That movie would get SO cancelled if they made it now. Pretty crazy some of the language used in it, not so long ago, and where we’re at today.

Shin - Ultraman.

I watched this movie last night. I loved some of the quirky ideas in it and the well observed retro Kaiju-style sound effects. It's fun in parts; doesn't take itself too seriously. Some excellent CGI delights.

The movie starts of strong and has a little mystery about it, which pulled me in. The hokey science details made me laugh at first, but got a little exhausting after a while.

I felt that the movie lost a little steam after the first third and I had mixed feelings about the movie by the end. Not sure if I would recommend as a "must see", but if you just want to switch your brain off for a bit and watch something that's a little different, then perhaps its for you.

Last edited:
Spirited Away

Watched this on Saturday night, but only just remembered to mention it.

Beautiful saturated colours and scenes; incredible animation, great soundtrack and engagingly trippy story / visuals.

10 / 10. Recommended.

Perfect pairing for an evening of 2 - 3 "magic" Cheetos.

Just finished SE01 of Andor. So far I think it's really well done. Some things that I was dying to see happen didn't and some things I didnt think would happen did. IOW it wasn't the predictable snoozefest I thought it would be. I would like more action sequences but then again I am the type that can watch karate and explosions for 6 hrs straight and not care about plot or storyline.

4 out 5 stars on the Zaod Meter.

That's definitely in the queue to watch soon, Bob. I got to get off the darn food/cooking shows. I can watch
people making Pizza on TV for 6 hours straight. That's my Karate and Pyro. :LOL:

We are on the second season of The Vow (on HBO).

Documentary about a “self-help / executive coaching type” turned “sex cult.” What’s amazing about this documentary, is the narcissistic leader (Keith Raniere, who was called “Vanguard”) wanted cameras on him and the groups and company all the time to document his rise to greatness, so there’s very little “dramatization” in this documentary, due to the tons of real footage.

They also suckered in celebrities, like Allison Mack (from Smallville, and other things) who have since been convicted.

It’s a good one, if you like docs.

We are on the second season of The Vow (on HBO).

Documentary about a “self-help / executive coaching type” turned “sex cult.” What’s amazing about this documentary, is the narcissistic leader (Keith Raniere, who was called “Vanguard”) wanted cameras on him and the groups and company all the time to document his rise to greatness, so there’s very little “dramatization” in this documentary, due to the tons of real footage.

They also suckered in celebrities, like Allison Mack (from Smallville, and other things) who have since been convicted.

It’s a good one, if you like docs.

I have to deal with a narcissist just about every day in my brother in-law. It's a fascinating disorder but not for those it affects around them. I am gonna check this one out.

The Catherine O'Hara memes are really what pull me in :unsure: Those kids in first few episodes were not an enticing reason to keep watching :oops:

It took me a couple tries to get into it, but once I did I LOVED it and mainly for Catherine. Definitely a show where you fall in love with the characters for their individual traits more so than the series as a whole.

Just finished up Bullet Train. FANTASTIC flick. Fast paced, perfect cast and funny af.
I actually watched it a second time with my wife! (First go was "treadmill fodder".) Surprised to have liked it so much because I thought it was a little "much" for the first 30 minutes or so. But it gets stronger in its second half, with the introduction of certain characters, backstories, etc. Still a bit hokey/ overcooked in moments, even right up to the end, but I really enjoyed it.

Tonight we watched Jordan Peele’s Nope. It was a solid watch! I enjoyed it and felt it was a very unique and creative take on an alien invasion story.
Weird. I thought this movie was an epic disaster. The kind of thing you only continue watching because you just can't quite believe it was committed to film. It took us three nights just to soldier through it LOL. I got a heavy M. Night Shyamalan vibe, and I'm not a fan of most of Shyamalan's work, either.

But reviews are all over the map on this one, so maybe my philistine is showing LOL.

Spirited Away

Watched this on Saturday night, but only just remembered to mention it.

Beautiful saturated colours and scenes; incredible animation, great soundtrack and engagingly trippy story / visuals.

10 / 10. Recommended.

Perfect pairing for an evening of 2 - 3 "magic" Cheetos.

Cheetos are so 3 weeks ago. Apple Jacks is the winner now.

9822DBB1-1E37-45B2-B479-B9D861D729B5.jpeg

Weird. I thought this movie was an epic disaster. The kind of thing you only continue watching because you just can't quite believe it was committed to film. It took us three nights just to soldier through it LOL. I got a heavy M. Night Shyamalan vibe, and I'm not a fan of most of Shyamalan's work, either.

But reviews are all over the map on this one, so maybe my philistine is showing LOL.
LOL. That’s funny - I can actually see why some people didn’t like it. And now that you mentioned it - it did have kind of a M. Night vibe to it which are always weird / hit-or-miss with me.

In general, I tend to be very “easily entertained” and would make a poor film critic for sure. Watching movies and shows is truly an escape for me, and I try to enjoy them, versus get too critical.

Knowing with Nick Cage wasn’t bad. He tends to ruin most movies hes in so it speaks for a good but predictable story line.

She Will I cant get thru the first 20 mins so probably wont finish it.

Same with The Order with Heath Ledger. Just isnt keeping my attention. May start again from the beginning because I really like exorcism themed movies.

Cheetos are so 3 weeks ago. Apple Jacks is the winner now.

View attachment 3650
Im gonna throw my controversial movie snack into the ring…………

1FA97413-A7BA-46AF-B5FA-77BD277A146B.jpeg

This stuff is REALLY good. Now my wife’s concern and much to my own amusement is all my pee, poo, spit and farts smell not like what you’d expect, but like beef jerky.

They’ve found a way to make a cruelty free jerky AND make my house smell better by triple, all for 2 bucks a day.

We love the Beyond Meat sausages here. We buy 'em all the time and we're not even vegetarian!

I need to try that jerky now!
I make a lasagna with the sausage and meat crumbles. In this application, its indistinguishable from meat. We eat the burgers too which are excellent. This jerky though, it’s scary close to beef jerky.

Im gonna throw my controversial movie snack into the ring…………

View attachment 3652

This stuff is REALLY good. Now my wife’s concern and much to my own amusement is all my pee, poo, spit and farts smell not like what you’d expect, but like beef jerky.

They’ve found a way to make a cruelty free jerky AND make my house smell better by triple, all for 2 bucks a day.

I haven’t tried ‘em yet but I want to. The healthiest I’ve ever felt and verifiably been was when I was 100% plant based, especially when I cut out processed stuff. It’s not an simple thing to pull off and I got frustrated quite often throughout the 5 years, things like this were like lifelines at certain points. I’m getting ready to jump back in, just not quite as strict.

We love the Beyond Meat sausages here. We buy 'em all the time and we're not even vegetarian!

I need to try that jerky now!

When I was eating 98% whole foods-only the hot Italian sausages were my cheat meal. The chef who did my wedding made a pasta dish with them that was f*cking phenomenal. My family is mostly hunters on my father’s side and if those guys went out of their way to say how much they liked it, it meant something. I made kabobs with them once a week, for the most part.

Back