What are we watching now?

Watched The Menu last night on HBO. Been waiting on this one for a bit. Ralph Fiennes runs a restaurant on an island and some shady stuff is happening on this singular night. I knew it was a thriller to some degree but really didn't know the plot beyond the foodie aspect of it. Enjoyed it tremendously!
Ha - wife, daughter, and I just watched this last night - really good!!

I appreciate the general vibe/cinematography he seems to go for but yeah overall kind of fell flat at the end of the day

I have "Lamb" queued up to watch, I sort of have (moderate) hopes for that one but I need to be in the right headspace to watch a foreign language film
I have had that one on and off my radar but it seems too cerebral for my tastes. Report back if you watch it and it is actually good? I think Atrox watched it and liked it but can't remember?

I have had that one on and off my radar but it seems too cerebral for my tastes. Report back if you watch it and it is actually good? I think Atrox watched it and liked it but can't remember?

I definitely think I'm into the whole cerebral horror thing... I really enjoyed Hereditary and Midsommar a lot and I get the impression its supposed to be in a similar arena

I definitely think I'm into the whole cerebral horror thing... I really enjoyed Hereditary and Midsommar a lot and I get the impression its supposed to be in a similar arena
Did you watch Mandy? It's probably a little more on the brutal side but right up your alley I'd think.

I haven’t watched any movies, but I just told my friend next time she comes over we’re absolutely watching Rockstar because it’s one of my favorite movies of all time, regardless of how much cheese is involved.

Jennifer Aniston- Check
Zakk Wylde- Check
Outstanding Soundtrack- Check x1000

That’s a perfect movie right there. Don’t need good dialogue, barely need a plot, just put those three things in every movie and I’ll watch it until I die!

I haven’t watched any movies, but I just told my friend next time she comes over we’re absolutely watching Rockstar because it’s one of my favorite movies of all time, regardless of how much cheese is involved.

Jennifer Aniston- Check
Zakk Wylde- Check

That’s a perfect movie right there. Don’t need good dialogue, barely need a plot, just put those three things in every movie and I’ll watch it until I die!
I’ve been meaning to rewatch this.

Schitts Creek drove me nuts the first episode or 2 I tried. Was I wrong?

You Can Do It Reaction GIF by Joe Biden

The Catherine O'Hara memes are really what pull me in :unsure: Those kids in first few episodes were not an enticing reason to keep watching :oops:

I stayed at my sister-in-law's place for Christmas a few years ago for a few days and there wasn't much else going on in the evenings. She insisted that we watch Shitt's Creek.

I was inititally a little irked that I was being forced to watch it, and I didn't like the characters for the first couple of episodes (yes "the kids").

I disliked them slightly less during the third episode, and as time went on, I started to understand them and it got better from there on out over the next couple of episodes. In the end, I enjoyed it and grew some affection for the characters. Pretty sure they are written as deliberately flawed / unlikable from the beginning, but there is a lot of growth.

Maybe it's just not your thing, but my take on the show is that it is one of those where you will be rewarded for the time that you put into it.

Yes, the Catherine O'Hara character is amazing.

Last edited:
García
A cool adaptation of a Spanish comic
p.s.: not to be watched with the stereotypical American optics. This is Madrid, not LA

@JiveTurkey If the failed rich people in a small Canadian town doesn't work for you; then there's always Letterkenny, which is still about a Canadian small town, but no rich people and kinda the opposite sort of vibe - it's pretty rude and raw.
I LOVE letterkenny!

The more you watch it the better/funnier it gets. The brilliant writing is so cleverly hid behind the stupidity of everything else

I stayed at my sister-in-law's place for Christmas a few years ago for a few days and there wasn't much else going on in the evenings. She insisted that we watch Shitt's Creek.

I was inititally a little irked that I was being forced to watch it, and I didn't like the characters for the first couple of episodes (yes "the kids").

I disliked them slightly less during the third episode, and as time went on, I started to understand them and it got better from there on out over the next couple of episodes. In the end, I enjoyed it and grew some affection for the characters. Pretty sure they are written as deliberately flawed / unlikable from the beginning, but there is a lot of growth.

Maybe it's just not your thing, but my take on the show is that it is one of those where you will be rewarded for the time that you put into it.

Yes, the Catherine O'Hara character is amazing.
Same with my wife and I. The first couple episodes were “okay”. Stuck with it and by episode 5, I think, we were hooked. So many good and funny moments.

Jennifer Aniston- Check
Zakk Wylde- Check

That movie elicits the same response from me as I expect Johnny Cash fans got when watching this gem from the early 80s

Back