What are we watching now?

We watched The Last Detail from 1973, and we both thought it was great. You have to watch it with closed captioning, because the dialogue is mixed so low you'll miss half of it. Otherwise, it's a very cool film with a lot of personality and feel, and the acting is great all the way around. This is my favorite of Jack Nicholson's performances that I've seen. Here he was actually acting, rather than just being himself; it was great to see. I love seeing actors work hard. As a bonus Michael Moriarty, one of the most underrated and underutilized actors ever, shows up for five minutes toward the end. Man, I always love that guy in his younger roles.

The big surprise is that you see a very young Randy Quaid as one of the main characters, and it's a serious role. We inadvertently saw a couple of his films in a string, because he was also in The Last Picture show, even younger. He was great in The Last Detail; I can't believe it. Reading about his personal life, I'm blown away that he was once a struggling actor, working to churn out quality work. Man, you never know where someone's career or life will go.

Back