What are we watching now?

For what it's worth, I tried re-watching (the actual) The Deer Hunter (on paper, my favorite film) a few months back, and I couldn't get through it. Again, it just hasn't aged particularly well. Characters that were so endearing years/decades ago feel like stereotypes now; the performances just a little bit stilted, etc. I think a kind of fatigue sets in where these really iconic films fall victim to all of the subsequent works they inspire.

*Also, it's no help if your wife is sitting next to you, visibly bored out of her mind with a film you never stop talking up LOL.

Dude, I think I've seen that film more than any other in my lifetime. By the time I graduated highschool I had seen it 62 times. I think Cimino is one of those directors whose work goes from genius to incompetent crap, but to me The Deer Hunter is a masterpiece in every respect. Funnily enough, nowadays it's my wife who always wants to watch it because it's one of her favorite films.

I've been there with revisiting films and feeling totally differently, but Man, that is a brutal analysis!

What you're recounting reminds me of showing my good friend The Ninth Configuration many years ago. I thought he would lose his mind, but he felt less than nothing, and I still get thrilled by it every time.

Dude, I think I've seen that film more than any other in my lifetime. By the time I graduated highschool I had seen it 62 times. I think Cimino is one of those directors whose work goes from genius to incompetent crap, but to me The Deer Hunter is a masterpiece in every respect. Funnily enough, nowadays it's my wife who always wants to watch it because it's one of her favorite films.

I've been there with revisiting films and feeling totally differently, but Man, that is a brutal analysis!

What you're recounting reminds me of showing my good friend The Ninth Configuration many years ago. I thought he would lose his mind, but he felt less than nothing, and I still get thrilled by it every time.
Uh-oh, backpedal time! ;)

You and your wife have excellent taste in films! Please don't take my "brutal analysis" the wrong way - The Deer Hunter is still my favorite movie (though I've only seen it a few times myself.) Mainly, I'm just trying to express how a great film at precisely the wrong time (personally or historically) can be a miss. Which may or may not be relevant to JT's take on Jacknife.

Now I want to go watch both of them properly.

Uh-oh, backpedal time! ;)

You and your wife have excellent taste in films! Please don't take my "brutal analysis" the wrong way - The Deer Hunter is still my favorite movie (though I've only seen it a few times myself.) Mainly, I'm just trying to express how a great film at precisely the wrong time (personally or historically) can be a miss. Which may or may not be relevant to JT's take on Jacknife.

Now I want to go watch both of them properly.

Oh Man, I don't mean to criticize your latest impression of it negatively! It's a deep experience to love a film like that, and it's a sign of growth and mental elasticity to be able to nuance and expand assessments of films over time!

But thanks for the kind words! When we lived in Manchester, NH for a few years, we would pretty much spend our free time in Boston (as much as our broke selves could afford), and we attended a public interview with Michael Cimino! I even got to ask him a question. They had two nights where they showed The Deer Hunter the first night, which we did not attend, then Year of The Dragon the second night, followed by the interview.

It was awesome to experience. He talked about how De Niro was way too "New York," i.e., gestuculative as fuck, in his mannerisms, so he had the head of wardrobe fashion clothing for him that was absolutely as tight as possible to restrict his movements. I had always thought he looked weird in his military uniform when he returns home!

No, please don't take my love for it as a criticism of your feelings about it at all. Film should totally be live and let live. My wife rags on me endlessly for loving earlier David Lynch, and we always respect each other's massively, even when we disagree violently.

She has this thing for tough guy noir of the 30's through the 50's, and I'm all over the place, including avant garde Bergman to modern French.

I've only seen Jackknife twice, and I don't remember it incredibly well, just that I loved and respected the hell out of Ed Harris each time.

The three films I've likely seen the most times are: The Breakfast Club, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, and The Big Lebowski.

The Breakfast Club is great all the way around. It is a fun, enjoyable film until it isn't. Then it captures those moments of growing up and not living up to others expectations of you really well. It gets heavy in a relatable way, even if you've never contemplated something like that over not being able to make a lamp work.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is a complete 180 from the first film. Tobe Hooper returns (and frankly, is the only sequel worth a damn), presenting something which is a complete subversion of what you think you would get on paper. If The Breakfast Club spoof poster didn't clue you in, then that's your tough luck. Lots of quotable lines, an iconic scene with Caroline Williams, an "oh, that's where Primus got that" bit, Bill fucking Moseley, and Dennis Hopper being more twisted and insane than the family eating people.

The Big Lebowski is a film that manages to feel like it doesn't have a linear plot or storyline, but does. Plus you have Julianne Moore looking fine as hell and owning her sexuality. All of the characters are well written, and the Coen's have mastered the minor character to an art form here.

Tonight we finished Panic In The Streets by Elia Kazan. I'll tell you, Jack Palance was a strange and wonderful motherfucker. He had this too-quiet manner in that film that was incredible. Man, this film is from 1950, and it's so much better in every single way than most modern stuff.

After that we watched a bunch of my favorite music videos, like this one:

fallout-tv-show-logo-1231818919.jpg

I started Shogun today. Surprisingly not bad not cringey nor childish but that is probably because of flashbacks of old version I watched in early 90s on TV when I was a kid.

Back