Updated with Clips: Why is everyone so down on using lots of amp models at gigs?

Sure. What does it mean to you?
Not sure, I know it’s a classic film and gets a lot of praise but never watched that film in its entirety and evidently didn’t hold my attention much. So really don’t get the context of the film’s scene or how it fits my comments.

Not sure, I know it’s a classic film and gets a lot of praise but never watched that film in its entirety and evidently didn’t hold my attention much. So really don’t get the context of the film’s scene or how it fits my comments.
It’s just food for thought.

In general it’s a gif that incorporates some communication themes.

I will say that intent and message form an interesting interplay at times when it comes to a meeting of the minds.

Last edited:
Good for you and him. Glad you both have a great working relationship and consistent sounding venue. Again IME that's not the norm.

YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV

Sorry, if I ruffled your feathers that’s on you not me ;)

I don’t want to get into a fight over it and I hope there are no hard feelings. I’m just sharing my own personal experiences because they seem to be a little different from what you’ve been saying

Sorry, if I ruffled your feathers that’s on you not me ;)

I don’t want to get into a fight over it and I hope there are no hard feelings. I’m just sharing my own personal experiences because they seem to be a little different from what you’ve been saying
My feathers feathers aren’t ruffled. Just making sure you saw IMHO in that post in a sarcastic way. This stuff is way too insignificant to get upset over.

IMHO IMHO is implied unless otherwise stated. It’s an anonymous Internet forum. Random people are giving their opinions. They’re worth what you paid for them.

IMHO IMHO is implied unless otherwise stated. It’s an anonymous Internet forum. Random people are giving their opinions. They’re worth what you paid for them.
Of course. But when I say "sure, I've never seen you perform or anything, but in my opinion YOU ARE most likely giving your soundman nightmares" - that's kind of an arrogant opinion to have in the first place, no matter how much experience you have, given the number of guitar players in hardcore tribute acts and such that pull that kinda thing off night after night on big, well paid gigs. It's the equivalent of "in my experience, I can't pull that off, thus my opinion is you can't either based on nothing more than my assumption that you aren't more skilled than I am."

So just because it's only your opinion, doesn't mean it's not kind of a dickish opinion.

Also, one doesn't have to share every opinion they have.

I mean, I've got opinions about the engineering skills of folks that are running out of cpu with 36 UA cores, but I keep those to myself.

Of course. But when I say "sure, I've never seen you perform or anything, but in my opinion YOU ARE most likely giving your soundman nightmares" - that's kind of an arrogant opinion to have in the first place, no matter how much experience you have, given the number of guitar players in hardcore tribute acts and such that pull that kinda thing off night after night on big, well paid gigs. It's the equivalent of "in my experience, I can't pull that off, thus my opinion is you can't either based on nothing more than my assumption that you aren't more skilled than I am."

So just because it's only your opinion, doesn't mean it's not kind of a dickish opinion.

I mean, I've got opinions about the engineering skills of folks that are running out of cpu with 36 UA cores, but I keep those to myself.
I've played the entire Margarita Mike Circuit. Only one amp model is every used at a given show. That's how it's done at a professional level.

I can understand you may see an opinion like that as dickish, and you are right, one doesn’t need to blurt out or type out every thought or idea they’ve ever had.

It still doesn’t make that opinion wrong or invalid. It can also actually be constructive. You have a forum here of people with all levels of experience from all walks of life that bring different perspectives to the table.

Maybe making the soundguys job harder (or potentially impossible in a case like this) isnt something the 9000 a night preset guy ever took into consideration. Maybe they’ve never run sound. Maybe they dont know the first thing about running sound. Hell, I’ve run into soundmen that fall into that category. Maybe that guitarist would then reflect on that, adjust his or her approach and for the betterment of the band and the bands overall sound may start to do things differently.

In order to have constructive, intelligent dialogue on much of anything, you need to have people actually willing to discuss things of average intelligence with an open mind.

Try Mars. I’ve yet to find this on Earth.

P.S. I can demonstrate Studio One going into fits with over 100 UAD plugins at various buffer settings and tweaks, which just use the VST host for CPU. Whether or not this is a bug or a physical limitation I do not know, but it’s no reflection of anyones skills unless audio engineering includes computer and interface manufacturing. I cant smelt my own metals or construct my own microchips, either. I’m just fine with the title of mediocre because of this.

You can also judge my engineering skills more appropriately by my mixes, which I wholly admit I’m a hobbyist. I’m in competition with myself, to get the next mix better than the last. I have a great time doing it. Not saying your post was or wasn’t directed at me, just bringing some perspective to the conversation. Peace.

It still doesn’t make that opinion wrong or invalid. It can also actually be constructive. You have a forum here of people with all levels of experience from all walks of life that bring different perspectives to the table.

Maybe making the soundguys job harder (or potentially impossible in a case like this) isnt something the 9000 a night preset guy ever took into consideration.
I'm the type of person that usually responds, "Well, why not? Can't we find a way to make it work?" to the typical status quo answers of, "Well that's not right. You don't do things that way."

Advancing technology allows us to continuously revisit how things are done, especially if changing them could result in improvements. Sure, you should look at all the angles, but if you just stop at "It's too hard" for whatever reason, without at least exploring the possibilities of making it so, you limit the potential for advancement.

I applied math to roof framing in my framing contractor career, and if I had listened to the naysayers who told me cutting every single rafter ahead of time, then putting the whole roof together like a puzzle, wouldn't work, I'd have continued to build them the old-fashioned way, which was much slower. Things can and do work, but you may have to change up your methods in areas that make you uncomfortable.

I can appreciate a “well why not” answer. It leads to constructive discussion.

In this multi amp/multi tonal live setup, I can see zero advantage and many disadvantages just based on my own experiences. I can only bring my personal experiences to the table because its what I know to be true. Discussion happens when everyone who wants to participate brings their personal experiences. Who’s to say someone’s experience is right or wrong?

What seems to work for me either in an ensemble or in a bar band or my country band is one kitchen sink preset that gets me a wide enough range of tones to get the job done. What Ive learned over the years is no one cares except for the Soundguy who cares very little. I’ve also learned to keep basic amp controls handy in case they need to be peppered. Ive also learned a huge part of the overall tone comes from the IR anyway.

I can make a preset per song with scenes for verses, choruses and leads. It’s not that its too hard. its not hard at all. What it would be is a tremendous waste of time and effort. My opinion. I dont believe it’s necessary to have a successful performance, so my energy and attention is better spent on other things. Until I see some kind of net gain by doing this or find myself in a situation where doing this is beneficial, these are my beliefs. As a fairly intelligent person, my beliefs are subject to change upon changing conditions or compelling evidence.

I think I'd have to hear a band in question to decide if I think their sounds from song to song are too homogenized, and need to be more diverse to serve the songs better. But I do think the fringes of the spectrum isn't where anyone wants to be, i.e., using a Recto patch for every song at one end, vs. using a unique amp for each and every song, at the other end. The best answer lies somewhere in the middle, at a point where the tones serve the songs, make the music do justice to the original recording (in a cover band context), while at the same time not driving FOH crazy.

I like it when the guitars sound good for the song, and not, for example, have heavy gain for VH or Led Zeppelin, yet have gain for AIC. Then an EOB for My Sharona, and a jangly clean for Tommy Tutone. (Just the examples I thought of, off the top of my head.) That being said, I think I could cover those songs/styles using one preset, but I'd use different amps. Or at least see how that goes, as I haven't gigged in a while, let alone played a diverse selection of songs using the Axe Fx with other players yet.

One person's experience is anecdotal, doesn't always make it fact. Making blanket statements based on anecdotal evidence on any subject is a bad idea.
south-park.gif

Back