Updated with Clips: Why is everyone so down on using lots of amp models at gigs?

metropolis_4

Shredder
I get that we've all seen someone who doesn't know what they're doing do it badly. But just because some people do it wrong doesn't mean we have to toss the whole concept.

I always look at amp models the exact same way I look at pedals. They're just tools I can use to achieve different textures and qualities of gain. Is using 4 amp models to get different gain textures any different from using 4 dirt/fuzz pedals to get different gain textures?

If you do it right there's no reason for it to be jarring, or incongruous, or any of the other problems we've all heard before. But also, sometimes you want a certain tone to be jarring or incongruous!

Use 1 amp model for a whole show or use 20. Both are totally legit/valid. All that matters is that you're getting the right sounds for the music you're performing

Last edited:
I get that we've all seen someone who doesn't know what they're doing do it badly. But just because some people do it wrong doesn't mean we have to toss the whole concept.

I always look at amps the exact same way I look at pedals. They're just tools I can use to achieve different textures and qualities of gain. Is using 4 amps to get different gain textures any different from using 4 dirt/fuzz pedals to get different gain textures?

If you do it right there's no reason for it to be jarring, or incongruous, or any of the other problems we've all heard before. But also, sometimes you want a certain tone to be jarring or incongruous!

Use 1 amp for a whole show or use 20. Both are totally legit/valid. All that matters is that you're getting the right sounds for the music you're performing
You have a unique perspective in that you are doing the musical theater thing. Which needs that differentiation, imo. Versus playing Love Shack at Mike's Show Lounge where music is a 3rd string afterthought for the clientele :rofl

For me, I like the idea of being able to have my sound on command and not be at the mercy of the venue’s mics or equipment. You’ll always have to deal with the sound guy, but I once had a sound guy insist on throwing an SM57 in the dead center of the cone of a speaker on my cab and I couldn’t talk him out of it. I turned the presence down on my amp to compensate, but it still sucked. Another gig, I was playing a triple rectifier and the sound guy kept asking me to turn it down, and we were at the point where the amp was beginning to not sound like the amp because he was having me turn it down so much. Mind you, that was an amp I used at tons of gigs and only had this issue once with one soundman.

Being able to carry a modeler or an amp and an IR loader is amazing. I can load up my sound and my IR and give the FOH an XLR to replace his mic with. I’m still at the mercy of his mixing, but at least I’m presenting him with a finished product sound coming from my rig, so there’s less for him to mess up. At least that’s my thought process.

I tapped out of the multi-amp thing for live gigs years before I got a Fractal unit. I’ve had to push my nuts back into the sack via my stomach on more than one occasion from hauling around a 100 watt (or 120) half stack and a Mark IV combo and while I LOVED blending the Mark IV with a 5150, I can do that with my Fractal gear now.

I don’t feel I’m sacrificing or compromising anything because I’m still running into actual guitar cabs, without the hernia.

You have a unique perspective in that you are doing the musical theater thing. Which needs that differentiation, imo. Versus playing Love Shack at Mike's Show Lounge where music is a 3rd string afterthought for the clientele :rofl

True, but even if it's just a small cover band gig you could still do either one and it would be totally valid.

I did an 80s covers thing for a fundraiser that was basically like a cover band set of random 80s hits. I ended up using these models:

JCM120 (with no speaker for bright DI pop stuff)
Deluxe Reverb (basic "amp" style cleans)
AC15 (jangly stuff like Tom Petty)
Plexi (mid-forward light to mid drive stuff like Pat Benatar)
2204 (heavier drive stuff like Mötley Crüe)

I could have also pulled it off just fine with one amp model and a few pedals, but I had fun doing it this way and it sounded killer.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Being in the Digital & Modeling section I meant "amp models", not multiple tube amps :p

I just updated the OP
I was wondering if it was my lack of caffeine or inability to read... I never read the forum titles, always browsing What's New. :LOL:

With regard to the actual point of the thread, I officially withdraw my original post and say, "Isn't the point of a modeler to HAVE all those amps at your disposal? Why WOULDN'T you use a new one every song? :idk

True, but even if it's just a small cover band gig you could still do either one and it would be totally valid.

I did an 80s covers thing for a fundraiser that was basically like a cover band set of random 80s hits. I ended up using these models:

JCM120 (with no speaker for bright DI pop stuff)
Deluxe Reverb (basic "amp" style cleans)
AC15 (jangly stuff like Tom Petty)
Plexi (mid-forward light to mid drive stuff like Pat Benatar)
2204 (heavier drive stuff like Mötley Crüe)

I could have also pulled it off just fine with one amp model and a few pedals, but I had fun doing it this way and it sounded killer.
Yeah but for me; I already manage trumpets, organs, sax, GR300, analog synth tones. As well as blending in with our other guitarist' Orange with pedals layered tones. I just don't want to do that much work as I don't feel like it gives me any sort of satisfaction? I am pretty set and forget with my guitar sound.

I pretty much use the 3 Mark IV amps for 99% of what I do. For my original stuff I am using the ANGL Meteor.

mainly for me its lack of DSP and that my music doesn't really require it. i use one amp sim for cleans and a different one for dirty. i think with snapshots you can get a good crunch sound by shifting the settings on your clean amp sim and boost. you can also add a fuzz sound to the clean amp to get another sound. using 2 amps sims instead of 4 leaves room for modulation, delays, octaves, reverbs, cab sims, etc....

i want to use one preset live if possible so that sound check doesnt involve making the same changes to multiple different presets.

Yeah but for me; I already manage trumpets, organs, sax, GR300, analog synth tones. As well as blending in with our other guitarist' Orange with pedals layered tones. I just don't want to do that much work as I don't feel like it gives me any sort of satisfaction? I am pretty set and forget with my guitar sound.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that both are equally valid and ultimately it doesn't matter how many amp models you use as long as it gets the job done. Amp models are just another tool in the box. Use 1 or use 20.

All the talk in the other thread making it sound like you're doing something wrong if you use more than 1-2 amp models for a gig.

Nobody cares how many different brushes Coolidge used to create Dogs Playing Poker. We just like looking at dogs doing human things

I guess what I'm trying to say is that both are equally valid and ultimately it doesn't matter how many amp models you use as long as it gets the job done. Amp models are just another tool in the box. Use 1 or use 20.

All the talk in the other thread making it sound like you're doing something wrong if you use more than 1-2 amp models for a gig.

Nobody cares how many different brushes Coolidge used to create Dogs Playing Poker. We just like looking at dogs doing human things
Certainly. Use the approach that works for you. 100%.

Or maybe a more apropos analogy for the level of "art" I create:

Nobody cares how many brushes were used to create black velvet Kirk and Spock, we're just glad they exist in our world (or wish they didn't)

va012.jpg
Spock-2.jpg

I know a super talented musician, using fractal audio in a Bowie cover band who has to nail the tones from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Adrian Belew and everything in between.

He goes to exacting detail to nail every produced album tone, for his live show because that’s what people expect to hear from a tribute band.

Seattle’s own BowieVision

“Sleestack” on the Strat/axefx … great fucking show and I’m not even a huge Bowie fan.

There's nothing wrong in using multiple amps & cabs for a given setlist it only makes things more complicated and most of the times is unnecessary.

I've spent basically my whole life as a guitar player bringing just one amp at my gigs, I'm used to it, therefore I use one amp only (or 2 if I feel the need to have a different one for cleans) in digital too. I used to bring at least two guitars to give some variety and showoff, LOL

If we look at what happens on big stages and million dollars pop/rock productions, most players still bring 1 or 2 amps max.

Big productions do preproduction and have the time to sort everything out.
Small bands that rely on random soundmen should keep everything as simple as possible imho.

I also think a lot of that commentary was generated by looking "elsewhere" at people proclaiming how awesome it is more than anything else inherent with the actual use of multiple amps :bag

It is possible to successfully use many different amps/cabs at live gigs. Maybe some do not pull it off because they are not good at matching levels, but it otherwise seems no different than a DJ playing different styles of music back-to-back.

I personally prefer only using one tone. However, I did use at least four different amp/cab combinations in a cover band: a Mark IV clean tone, a Plexi crunch tone for breakup, a Mark IV lead tone for the hard rockers, and a Rectifier for the heaviest stuff. It worked out well because I prefer high gain, but that would have made the lighter songs too metal.

Back