This looks pretty cool: Simplifier X

All roads lead back to the Stomp.

romania GIF
Like it or not (sometimes I love it; sometimes I hate it), the reality is that there is a lot of gear that becomes laughable once you assess its value in relation to Stomp Bucks.

I think the new unit solves that problem. looks like it judging by the footswitch. Channel1/2, reverb. How was the reverb on the dlx? It looks like this one has plate/spring/somethin else I forget now. Also did it feel like an amp?

The Deluxe version had a footswitch with reverb. The reverb was super underwhelming and bland. It also had a three way switch.

It didn't feel at all like an amp. It felt like plugging into a drive pedal and then into the board.

I went to a Strymon Iridium and really like the sound, feel, and reverb of that way more. Then just bailed and went back to Fractal.

That's just me though. Some people love them.

The twin sister version is coming April 25th. It is the IR-D.

If I didn't have way too much gear already I'd be real tempted to sell the IR-X for one of those. Maybe I'll have to hear some sound clips.

The Deluxe version had a footswitch with reverb. The reverb was super underwhelming and bland. It also had a three way switch.

It didn't feel at all like an amp. It felt like plugging into a drive pedal and then into the board.

I went to a Strymon Iridium and really like the sound, feel, and reverb of that way more. Then just bailed and went back to Fractal.

That's just me though. Some people love them.

If I didn't have way too much gear already I'd be real tempted to sell the IR-X for one of those. Maybe I'll have to hear some sound clips.

I’m interested to see what Strymon does with an Iridium V2. With their effects they could make a pretty killer modeler, but conservatively they need to add a high gain amp or two to that platform.

I found some chalk and drew a simplifier on a brick so you guys can hurl it at each other.

not-doing-the-ai-image-thing.jpeg

Sounds to me like a glorified DI box, even with an IR loader there's something very flat about its sound.

Sounds really flat and mediocre.

You really can't judge a piece of gear by a YouTube clip, good or bad. How it was dialed in and recorded, or any post production acknowledged or not, makes all the difference in the world.

I actually liked the clean and overdrive tones. The higher gain tones not as much.

Last edited:
You really can't judge a piece of gear by a YouTube clip, good or bad. How it was dialed in and recorded, or any post production acknowledged or not, makes all the difference in the world.

I actually liked the clean and overdrive tones. The higher gain tones not as much.
When people that are paid to make gear sound good on YouTube, and have historically made gear sound good on YouTube, make a product sound fairly mediocre, I am able to make an “I ain’t gonna bother” judgment.

Henning is great. The Simplifier isn't. Mystery solved.
Maybe it isn't.

I have a Simplifier DLX and it sounds much better than the high gain tones in that clip. Maybe the X model doesn't sound as good for some reason. I just wondered if that's really the best it can sound. Maybe it is.

I've played some amps that sounded great despite every YouTube clip I heard of them sounding like crap. I wasn't questioning Henning specifically, just voicing my skepticism regarding YouTube clips in general and the wisdom of making judgements about a piece of gear based on listening to just one clip in particular.

I think concluding that it's a mediocre piece of gear because the higher gain tones didn't sound good on Henning's clip is quite a leap, one I'm not ready to make.

Sounds really flat and mediocre. Not surprising, given what it is. Analog’s time has come and gone for this type of thing.

That’s how the two I had sounded and felt. If you added a compressor to the front end to get some tube sag and bloom that could help, but really any decent modeler today could get you imo better tone and feel.

I’d be all about something like the uad lion or iridium for less money, or again the Friedman stuff is really impressive.

Back