The Marketplace

Those poor souls. Anything that has to do with mandatory connection to WiFi is going to be terrible given how inconsistent and sometimes inoperable the WiFi module is.

Would only have to happen on a single login.
Buy a used QC with tons of commercial captures and IRs - all fine. Log into your account -> everything not purchased by yourself goes poof. WiFi really isn't required for operation, but as soon as you do anything requiring to log in, your unit will be checked. In fact, it's quite the same with mobile OSes and app stores.

It just seems like a hell of a long way to go for not very much revenue.
Line 6's Marketplace does... okay. But if we wanted to be really greedy and force-funnel *everyone* selling *any* type of Helix/HX content through our system and then collect a percentage, it'd probably be a nice chunk of change. But to be safe, we'd also have to restrict the ability to save backups to one's computer, because, well, offline backup files could technically be sold outside of said system.

Line 6's Marketplace does... okay. But if we wanted to be really greedy and force-funnel *everyone* selling *any* type of Helix/HX content through our system and then collect a percentage, it'd probably be a nice chunk of change. But to be safe, we'd also have to restrict the ability to save backups to one's computer, because, well, offline backup files could technically be sold outside of said system.

I literally never even knew this existed.

I guess I just never considered paying for a Preset. Impulse Responses, yes, Presets, no. Not a slam on anyone, just not for me. I guess the revenue is relative, maybe it pays for a few developers salaries, maybe more.

As it relates to product adoption an Open System seems like a better bet than a Closed System. I know that I won't be purchasing a modeler that forces a Closed System. It works for a Smartphone I guess because of the vast functionality of the device. A modeler is so limited and locking me into the content just to use it is a big no-go for me.

I'll be really curious if it's ever leaked how much of the cut they take
The reason I have a problem with this is that they add zero value other than being a central repository. At least with the App Store you are guaranteed that the app has no malware and has been reviewed for compatibility, stability and some level of quality.

It smacks of monetizing for the sake of monetizing.

Maybe because it is...

But then, as said before, it also adds an intellectual property protection layer. In case NDSP will *never* allow for local storage of individual files, it could even work quite well.
Still, for me it's one of the main reasons for not being interested in the QC at all.

The reason I have a problem with this is that they add zero value other than being a central repository. At least with the App Store you are guaranteed that the app has no malware and has been reviewed for compatibility, stability and some level of quality.

App stores have tons garbage quality apps, predatory apps and apps that crash. Sometimes even malware if it's sneaky enough. The process of checking them is largely automated afaik. At least the apps I have worked on have been approved for release way too quick to have anyone vetting them.

The value of a central repository for creators is discoverability and for end users convenience, provided it's not run purely by a popularity system where only the most popular makers are seen.

As an example if I wanted to start selling IRs or captures, I could set up my own website (or something like Shopify), with my own shopping cart/payment system and try to post on various forums/social media "hey I make these" and some people would be interested. But the vast majority of users are not necessarily visiting these.

More likely they would go to the QC marketplace and search/browse things because it's The Official Way. If buying what they are interested in is easy enough, they will choose that route over having to make an account into yet another website, wait for an email delivery of the goods, having to unzip and install it on their device etc. Now compare that to click, buy, install ease of the typical app store experience.

The typical end user is not really going to care too much if it's the only place they can buy stuff as long as it's easy and convenient for them. Just look at Apple's iOS App store. Despite sideloading capabilities, most people aren't doing that on Android either.

Yes, NDSP absolutely see a marketplace as an opportunity to monetize. To be fair the storage, data transfered, payment integration and running the cloud backend does cost them too. This + profits will be supported by the people who buy paid content from creators but there will still be a lot of free content typically.

The future is "I'm bored, taking a dump in the office toilet, why not buy a pack of captures on the QC cloud to treat myself when I get home."

But there's legal implications. Captures and IRs are intellectual property - and well, while I absolutely would never buy a device just offering a "cloud only" way to access even your very own data, I can pretty well understand how that helps to keep patch piracy low.

That's picking a fight you don't need to fight. There is *zero* need (and liability) for NDSP to be involved with the sale of profiles for the QC, unless they intend to be a middleman.

It introduces some interesting legal angles as well. What happens when the marketplace is up and someone starts re-selling third-party captures?

Last edited:
There is *zero* need (and liability) for NDSP to be involved with the sale of profiles for the QC, unless they intend to be a middleman.

Well, it could as well be that they see it as an option to offer vendors a secure place to sell things without much chances the sold captures would show up on whatever torrent sites and the likes instantly.

Look how they run Disgruntled …
Seinfeld Soup GIF

I can’t say I’ve run into any back alley forums selling pirated 3rd party IR’s or presets, I’m a fairly seedy guy, I’d imagine I’d find them if they were around. I don’t for a second believe any of this stuff is in place to protect 3rd party sellers because it’s not an issue as it is. I’m sure people have done it, but not to the point it’s prevented people from earning some money on their presets/captures/IR’s.

I can’t say I’ve run into any back alley forums selling pirated 3rd party IR’s or presets, I’m a fairly seedy guy, I’d imagine I’d find them if they were around. I don’t for a second believe any of this stuff is in place to protect 3rd party sellers because it’s not an issue as it is. I’m sure people have done it, but not to the point it’s prevented people from earning some money on their presets/captures/IR’s.
The reality of the situation is that this could all be remedied by having a download all button in the shared folder and then allowing others to select multiple files to share at once. But again $$$$

It's more of an issue than many know...sadly.

As far as selling, search Ebay, but the sharing is a big part.

It's more of an issue than many know...sadly.

As far as selling, search Ebay, but the sharing is a big part.
I forgot about the eBay sellers who sell presets they snag from wherever as package deals :oops: They did that to all the Boss/Roland Guitar synth presets hosted at VGF for free. Not cool.

The reality of the situation is that this could all be remedied by having a download all button in the shared folder and then allowing others to select multiple files to share at once. But again $$$$
That's not a money question, that's just a feature question. While a "download all" or "share this whole folder" seems super simple and obvious to have on the surface, it might be more complicated underneath. The UI functionality is very easy.

"Who has access to this" is a more complicated question especially dealing with cloud storage. These systems are built with security in mind because a random (or malicious) user gaining access to the wrong stuff would be a big problem. So granting access to a file or folder becomes a more complicated task involving user roles and permissions.

It's not some super difficult problem but needs thinking how to best handle it in the context of what they want the QC cloud to do and how they want it to work.

Back