The Marketplace

As far as selling, search Ebay, but the sharing is a big part.

Indeed!

First hit searching Kemper in profiles on the eBay app...

Screenshot_20230207-103015.png

Screenshot_20230207-103006.png

Personally, if I were selling content like this, I'd rather give a cut to a company that effectively hosts and distributes my content, along with protecting my work, than I would see it practically given away by thieves on eBay.

YMMV, of course, but I imagine many of the top profiler makers for Kemper would likely feel the same.

Indeed!

First hit searching Kemper in profiles on the eBay app...

View attachment 4223

View attachment 4224
Personally, if I were selling content like this, I'd rather give a cut to a company that effectively hosts and distributes my content, along with protecting my work, than I would see it practically given away by thieves on eBay.

YMMV, of course, but I imagine many of the top profiler makers for Kemper would likely feel the same.
Yep, there is a reason I add to my Kemper packs over time.

The way the Neural system is setup stopped me from selling captures until recently and it has been a ruff time as the amount of time I have put into making them has been considerable.

And now with Tonex. There is no protection yet. I keep contemplating offering some content but keep holding out with the hope that a third party seller system will happen. Again, I have put in a huge amount of time utilizing over $100k in hardware to sit on my hands.

If these third party systems happen I do believe it will all be worth it but at this point it's a tough journey.

Yep, there is a reason I add to my Kemper packs over time.

The way the Neural system is setup stopped me from selling captures until recently and it has been a ruff time as the amount of time I have put into making them has been considerable.

And now with Tonex. There is no protection yet. I keep contemplating offering some content but keep holding out with the hope that a third party seller system will happen. Again, I have put in a huge amount of time utilizing over $100k in hardware to sit on my hands.

If these third party systems happen I do believe it will all be worth it but at this point it's a tough journey.
How is the ToneX marketplace comparatively, though? Even if just from an end user standpoint?

Seems as if the profile vendors who are in it for the long haul see the sleaze factor as cost of doing business. My sense is that most people by far who are spending this much money on a piece of gear are inclined to support the independent entrepreneurs who have so much to do with the value and ever-evolving inspiration of the platform.

Right or wrong, one does not get the feeling that the marketplace system under discussion is being designed with the needs of its users, first, and instead has more to do with the not original business model of its manufacturer, which seems to hinge on an invasive level of control over its customers while generating ongoing income from those customers, who have already funded a pricey beta hardware release. It’s easy to ape the superficial framework of other actual business successes without delivering in any meaningful way on the promise of those kinds of successes for consumers.

Again again again, forums have always been rife with business advice posts for truly successful enterprises, but Fractal Line 6 and Kemper each appear to define success on their own terms, and are doing just fine, thank you.

A manufacturer coming in and exploding how things are done isn’t inherently a bad entrepreneurial impulse, but again, if it’s so transparently meant to benefit the manufacturer over its customers, that does leave a bad taste.

I have no experience with ToneX, but visually from a design standpoint, I can’t see myself living inside of that interface. The pedal looks cool because one small piece of black electrical tape and you’re not staring down at their marketing. From what I read, as it was being released, out of the gate they are offering their users a ton of included content, albeit the specific amount is on a price-tiered basis.

Right or wrong, one does not get the feeling that the marketplace system under discussion is being designed with the needs of its users, first, and instead has more to do with the not original business model of its manufacturer, which seems to hinge on an invasive level of control over its customers while generating ongoing income from those customers, who have already funded a pricey beta hardware release. It’s easy to ape the superficial framework of other actual business successes without delivering in any meaningful way on the promise of those kinds of successes for consumers.

Again again again, forums have always been rife with business advice posts for truly successful enterprises, but Fractal Line 6 and Kemper each appear to define success on their own terms, and are doing just fine, thank you.

A manufacturer coming in and exploding how things are done isn’t inherently a bad entrepreneurial impulse, but again, if it’s so transparently meant to benefit the manufacturer over its customers, that does leave a bad taste.

Agree.

It’s probably smart from a business perspective, but it is 100% to benefit the business, not the customer. I can’t think of a single way it benefits users/customers.

In fact I’d say it’s a detriment to customers for the sake of profiting the business.

Right or wrong, one does not get the feeling that the marketplace system under discussion is being designed with the needs of its users, first, and instead has more to do with the not original business model of its manufacturer, which seems to hinge on an invasive level of control over its customers while generating ongoing income from those customers, who have already funded a pricey beta hardware release.
7aauiw.jpg

looks cool because one small piece of black electrical tape and you’re not staring down at their marketing.
1675792952056.jpeg

My dark Kemper sits behind me not on the floor, and despite what people who often haven’t spent a lot of time with profiles say, I spend only a tiny amount of time actually interfacing with the unit, or now the editor, tweaking, and most of the time playing guitar. Seems like the tweaking with the plugs, component modeling, never seems to end. One more thing, while the blinking lights and design is unavoidably identifiable, the actual branding, the size of their logo, how it stands out on their devices, was small and subtle forever, and only became egregious, in my mind, when they answered the endless requests for a floor-based system and plastered the word Kemper along the side of the Stage. I’m guessing that after many years CK finally acquiesced to the “wisdom“ of his marketing people and relented.

But none of this matters @Gearzilla I still love your post and think it’s hilarious!

Last edited:
My dark Kemper sits behind me not on the floor, and despite what people who often haven’t spent a lot of time with profiles say, I spend only a tiny amount of time actually interfacing with the unit, or now the editor, tweaking, and most of the time playing guitar. Seems like the tweaking with the plugs, component modeling, never seems to end. One more thing, while the blinking lights and design is unavoidably identifiable, the actual branding, the size of their logo, how it stands out on their devices, was small and subtle forever, and only became egregious, in my mind, when they answered the endless requests for a floor-based system and plastered the word Kemper along the side of the Stage. I’m guessing that after many years CK finally acquiesced to the “wisdom“ of his marketing people and relented.

But none of this matters @Gearzilla I still love your post and think it’s hilarious!
Kemper was my first love in the digital realm.

Honestly, only until recently (within the year possibly with Cyngus) did I think fractal caught up tone wise. Now it's hard not to have that modeling aspect where I can adapt to different situations.

And I save money not buying Kemper packs lol

Occasionally, I’ll listen to a track I made with a Pod 2.0 22 or 23 years ago, and it’s always a reminder that all of these things have basically been viable for cutting great guitar tracks since the beginning. And whatever thing it is that we think that we hate, there’s always some dude who shows-up using that very thing and killing it. Shrug. Maybe that’s why whatever poison we pick, we want that poison to be embodied in the gear itself and not in the way its manufacturer conducts business. Since everything can sound great, and they’re all wildly convenient compared to hauling an AC30, then other stuff does start to matter.

Occasionally, I’ll listen to a track I made with a Pod 2.0 22 or 23 years ago, and it’s always a reminder that all of these things have basically been viable for cutting great guitar tracks since the beginning. And whatever thing it is that we think that we hate, there’s always some dude who shows-up using that very thing and killing it. Shrug. Maybe that’s why whatever poison we pick, we want that poison to be embodied in the gear itself and not in the way its manufacturer conducts business. Since everything can sound great, and they’re all wildly convenient compared to hauling an AC30, then other stuff does start to matter.
To me it boils down to don’t sell me a steak dinner, but bring out the main course without the steak because it’s not finished cooking, and then tell me by the way the kitchen is 2 hours behind on the rest.

Once I’ve selected a company’s scheduled product the only thing I care about is proper expectation setting and follow through.

Back