The Marketplace

The reason the QC doesn't (and the reason the yet-to-materialize desktop editor will only do full local backups) is presumably Neural wants a cut of all capture sells.

And they're trying to hide it behind whatever noble protection of intellectual properties. At least what I seem to remember reading on their FB group a while ago.

People buy modelers to get all the amps.

That is true. VERY unfortunately, if you asked me. I'd rather have companies focus on something interesting rather than delivering yet another old boring amp or stompbox with their updates. And for me personally, it's one of the reasons to love Boss for. On the downside, they're not doing too well in whatever modeler sucess rankings, so modeling might never become a priority thing in their portfolio. But then, as long as they keep releasing super sturdy, reliable GTs every number of years, it's fine with me. And in case I had to buy an all-in-one modeler today, it'd defenitely be a GT-1000 (and in case money was no subject, perhaps even over the FM9).

The reason the QC doesn't (and the reason the yet-to-materialize desktop editor will only do full local backups) is presumably Neural wants a cut of all capture sells.
7a4xoh.jpg

I don’t really know the joke about jazz tones with the QC, but I could see how the heavy emphasis on bass and low mids in the amp models would make it more challenging to get good jazz tones.

I thought Coy Wongs presets all sounded like he just phoned them in. Like he didn’t want to make them but he was forced to by contractual obligations or something

I don’t really know the joke about jazz tones with the QC, but I could see how the heavy emphasis on bass and low mids in the amp models would make it more challenging to get good jazz tones.
There’s a thread on the Fractal Forum in the FM3 section where someone had very specific requirements to achieve a jazz tone.
I thought Coy Wongs presets all sounded like he just phoned them in. Like he didn’t want to make them but he was forced to by contractual obligations or something
Not to defend Cory Wong, but presets don’t usually translate very well outside a set of similar circumstances.

How much revenue could a “Marketplace” actually generate for NDSP on this device? A small percentage on the sale of 3rd party Captures? Maybe they eventually sell their plugins? Would they ever sell their own Captures? I don’t get it.

How much revenue could a “Marketplace” actually generate for NDSP on this device? A small percentage on the sale of 3rd party Captures? Maybe they eventually sell their plugins? Would they ever sell their own Captures? I don’t get it.

I could very well imagine them to sell "premium" content in addition to the free stuff.

A small percentage on the sale of 3rd party Captures?
I don't imagine the percentage would be particularly small...;) 😉

However, a walked garden marketplace does provide some significant benefits for 3rd party sellers, so I'd imagine they would be happy to give up some revenue for them.

I don't imagine the percentage would be particularly small...;) 😉

However, a walked garden marketplace does provide some significant benefits for 3rd party sellers, so I'd imagine they would be happy to give up some revenue for them.

Eh, these are captures, not software :LOL: For end users, there's zero benefit on downloading captures from the cloud vs. uploading them via USB, other than convenience - if both were available.

And if ToneJunkie is any measure, 3rd party sellers could do without this drama as well.

Eh, these are captures, not software :LOL: For end users, there's zero benefit on downloading captures from the cloud vs. uploading them via USB, other than convenience - if both were available.
That's the entire point - there's no intention to ever allow a user to load captures via USB, so DRM'd on the cloud is the only option.

As to captures not being software, why does it matter? They are both content at the end of the day that some people will be willing to pay for.

As to captures not being software, why does it matter?

Meaning there're no real benefits from having a "walled garden" for user-generated QC content; there're no security implications here. Captures are not software.

And yes, the only reason to force cloud usage to transfer captures is to have the ability to charge them.

Meaning there're no real benefits from having a "walled garden"; there're no security implications here.
Benefits to the 3rd party sellers, who now don't have to worry about their capture/profiles being freely shared around.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen someone selling a Kemper toaster/rack with "hundreds of $'s" of commercial profiles because "they've bought a Kemper Stage".

I do wonder how many of those people will, ahem, re-use profiles they've just sold with a hardware unit... ;)

Meaning there're no real benefits from having a "walled garden" for user-generated QC content; there're no security implications here.

But there's legal implications. Captures and IRs are intellectual property - and well, while I absolutely would never buy a device just offering a "cloud only" way to access even your very own data, I can pretty well understand how that helps to keep patch piracy low. If there's absolutely no other way to load a patch on their unit but through the cloud or through a complete, limited to one machine ID complete backup, this could pretty much keep people from copying commercial patches around at will (something defenitely happening with other unit's patches, IRs and profiles).

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen someone selling a Kemper toaster/rack with "hundreds of $'s" of commercial profiles because "they've bought a Kemper Stage".
Why couldn't you also do this with the QC? Once the person downloads them to the device they are on the device regardless of the user, correct?

Back