The Coffee Thread

Mostly Greek Frappé and Shakerato during summer. More details over in the "haunted apartment" thread. ;)

Apart from that, espresso on a daily basis. But it's crucial to use a good machine for that.Once you learn about the perfect "crema", you'll never go back. :)

Ours is a small DeLonghi, and we grind the coffee beans, instead of buying pre-ground.
Lavazza is probably my favorite of the more common brands.

Last edited:
We have a Philips Saeco Syntia that is throwing a lot of misgrinds so we have to replace it soon and are heartbroken. We also do some French press stuff.

I’m not a fan of Africans (Ethiopian, Kenyan, etc.) but more Cental American (Costa Rican).

I’ve gotten a lot of beans from these guys:

The Mysore Nuggets not only has a great name, but is a great bean.

With the Black Friday sales, I picked up one of the Ember 14 oz mugs that I've been wanting for a long time now.

I hate drinking cold coffee, and with a regular mug it goes from too hot to just right to too cold in about 15 minutes, and the last 1/4 to 1/3 is gross. Insulated mugs help a bit but I don't like drinking coffee with a lid. I also tried an old school coffee warmer and it didn't do much for me.

This mug has a heating element, thermostat, battery, and bluetooth so you can set your desired drink temperature and it will hold it at the temp you want. Just now, I finished up my second cup of coffee and the last sip was as hot as the first. And the mug is ceramic coated and doesn't have a lid, so it doesn't feel like I'm drinking out of a canteen or sippy cup.

Also it was kind of funny updating the firmware for my coffee cup.

Outside that, I started dabbling in some of the fancy coffee beans, and the flavor and brew is quite different than the more mass produced beans I've been using. The flavor is sweeter and more prominent, less of a "burned" flavor, and even the grounds clump up way differently in the V60 filter. I'm going to start trying some better quality beans now.

locked out hack GIF by MANGOTEETH

With the Black Friday sales, I picked up one of the Ember 14 oz mugs that I've been wanting for a long time now.

I hate drinking cold coffee, and with a regular mug it goes from too hot to just right to too cold in about 15 minutes, and the last 1/4 to 1/3 is gross. Insulated mugs help a bit but I don't like drinking coffee with a lid. I also tried an old school coffee warmer and it didn't do much for me.

This mug has a heating element, thermostat, battery, and bluetooth so you can set your desired drink temperature and it will hold it at the temp you want. Just now, I finished up my second cup of coffee and the last sip was as hot as the first. And the mug is ceramic coated and doesn't have a lid, so it doesn't feel like I'm drinking out of a canteen or sippy cup.

Outside that, I started dabbling in some of the fancy coffee beans, and the flavor and brew is quite different than the more mass produced beans I've been using. The flavor is sweeter and more prominent, less of a "burned" flavor, and even the grounds clump up way differently in the V60 filter. I'm going to start trying some better quality beans now.

My better half got one for me last year. My only wish would be it being twice the size, since I normally do coffee via IV drip until about noon.

My better half got one for me last year. My only wish would be it being twice the size, since I normally do coffee via IV drip until about noon.

Yeah for sure. That's why I got a coffee maker with a warming plate earlier this year. Yes it's not as ideal as brewing a ton of little pour overs but it's good.

This would be a fun, expensive, but sleek looking setup:
  • Fellow grinder (with the new burrs)
  • Ratio Six brewer to get automated pourover into a thermal carafe
  • Ember mug to keep the coffee hot

ratio6-black-A3.jpg

Ode-Coffee-Grinder-01-Matte-Black-02_900x.png

61ZbFeErxeL.jpg

If you were gonna consider for a replacement for a technivorm mocha master… What would it be?

Insulated thermal carafe FTW!

(Mine came with the Moccamaster)

How do you like the Moccamaster?

I had a thermal carafe with my old Bonavita brewer. It was okay but still got cold after an hour. With the Ember mug this should mostly be a non-issue. I didn't want to spend $300 on another machine so I got a $100 Cuisinart, and I wanted to see how good/bad a warming plate was. It actually works really well, doesn't seem to burn the coffee like cheap machines.

I mostly do pour over though, 2-3 cups per day.

How do you like the Moccamaster?

I love it. I've used it every single day for the 3 years I've had it.

However, I often feel embarrassed about the price I paid for it, when people ask; and for that reason I find it hard to recommend to others at that price. It is A LOT to pay for a coffee maker. I love retro 60s looking items too, so I was happy to pay a "style tax" to get the look I wanted.

On the other hand, it is hand-assembled by people in the Netherlands that are allegedly paid a decent wage, and the carafe is really excellent and it's my most used "essential" appliance which contains quality serviceable parts.

It also has one small flaw, which has long been discussed on the internet. The drip head mostly drops water in a single spot, which isn't ideal; so for the first 30 seconds of extraction, I rotate the filter basket a little whilst the coffee grounds bloom.

Other than that small flaw, I enjoy really great coffee (from freshly ground beans) every morning, until lunchtime - I just keep pouring more from the carafe as I need it.

I’ve had my moccamaster for well over 10 years now… Great machine as it gets the water hot enough (key), very fast to make the pot and tastes “right”.

Just wondering what technology has brought along that might be mo’ betta?

@fretworn I'm happy with mine and see no need to ever replace it.

But if I did, I'd be looking for something with a slightly more even sprinkling "shower head". That's about it.

@fretworn Main technological improvement, I suppose it that other people in our family have automatic coffee machines, with clocks on them. They fill the brew basket with grounds before bed, ready for the morning (they get up super early).

That's a modern convenience, but I absolutely won't do that, because grounds are fecked within 15 minutes of grinding and exposure to the air.

No way, I'm going to all that trouble to buy and grind decent coffee beans and then brew from stale grounds and drink shite coffee! 🤮

Last edited:
I’ve had my moccamaster for well over 10 years now… Great machine as it gets the water hot enough (key), very fast to make the pot and tastes “right”.

Just wondering what technology has brought along that might be mo’ betta?

What's funny is that a lot of high end brewers are basically automating the process of pour over coffee. Like the Ratio and others. Which isn't that far off from drip machines honestly, if they are properly designed.

Really I'm not sure how much more tech you need in a coffee machine to make really good coffee. So much of it is the grind. A good grinder with a Moccamaster should make as good a cup of coffee as anything, IMO. Unless you're after espresso.

Back