The Coffee Thread

Coffee is basically religion here in Italy therefore a very good espresso is really easy to find everywhere.

At home my wife makes coffe with the moka pot me, on the other side, I drink tons of instant coffee all the day.

I used a coffe brewer for a long time but finding the grinded coffee for a brewer is not easy here. It's not in our culture therefore I moved to instant.

Are there fresh whole coffee beans readily available? If so you may want to get a grinder. I found it really makes the taste of the coffee pop.

Depending on how much coffee you drink, you could get either an electric or a hand grinder. For electric, the Capresso Infinity is a good value grinder, that's what I have, for about $100. For hand grinder, the Timemore C2 is available for as low as $50 and works well. I have a 1ZPRESSO JX which can grind beans for a cup of coffee in about 15-20 seconds, and is really consistent and good quality. That's about $130.

I tried to be a coffee snob for about a month, realized I just drink too much coffee and I’m far too pragmatic about it, I just want the caffeine in my veins immediately and to have plenty of throughout the day, so as long as it doesn’t taste like coffee flavored water, I’m good. Used to love the flavored creamers but went to black about 5 years ago and can’t stand anything in my coffee anymore.

I am but I have horrible taste and dump all sorts of flavored crap in it. Makers of flavored creamer everywhere; please keep making delicious chocolate creamers to get people hooked then discontinuing them while garbage like Peeps flavored creamer stays in production for eternity :cuss

I used to go through like 5 containers of Almond Joy creamer a week, they discontinued it for a while then brought it back rather quickly. Hahahahah I can’t remember if it was Peeps creamer or ice cream I had a couple years back, but I remember hating it.

Reactions: JT
Are there fresh whole coffee beans readily available? If so you may want to get a grinder. I found it really makes the taste of the coffee pop.

Depending on how much coffee you drink, you could get either an electric or a hand grinder. For electric, the Capresso Infinity is a good value grinder, that's what I have, for about $100. For hand grinder, the Timemore C2 is available for as low as $50 and works well. I have a 1ZPRESSO JX which can grind beans for a cup of coffee in about 15-20 seconds, and is really consistent and good quality. That's about $130.

yeah, beans are available everywhere but I don't know. seems too much work for me, LOL

I tried to be a coffee snob for about a month, realized I just drink too much coffee and I’m far too pragmatic about it, I just want the caffeine in my veins immediately and to have plenty of throughout the day, so as long as it doesn’t taste like coffee flavored water, I’m good. Used to love the flavored creamers but went to black about 5 years ago and can’t stand anything in my coffee anymore.

I used to go through like 5 containers of Almond Joy creamer a week, they discontinued it for a while then brought it back rather quickly. Hahahahah I can’t remember if it was Peeps creamer or ice cream I had a couple years back, but I remember hating it.
I started with Cinnabon. Which is amazing if you have trash taste. Then I moved over to Cocoa Pebbles ( :sofa:bag ) and it was FANTASTIC. If you have trash taste. Then they promptly discontinued it because why wouldn't you but still keep making pineapple avacado flavored creamer :wat

I'm on a white chocolate thing right now and it is pretty good. I am sure it is doomed as we speak :cuss

yeah, beans are available everywhere but I don't know. seems too much work for me, LOL

I get it. Just know if you ever get interested in dipping your toes, grinding fresh beans is your biggest improvement!

I used to drink instant Nescafe and hot milk all the time and still think it's great. That's what my wife drinks every morning for breakfast (although she adds a crapload of flavored creamer too).

I get it. Just know if you ever get interested in dipping your toes, grinding fresh beans is your biggest improvement!

I used to drink instant Nescafe and hot milk all the time and still think it's great. That's what my wife drinks every morning for breakfast (although she adds a crapload of flavored creamer too).

Here in NM USA we love grinding Pinon nuts with our coffee beans. Talk about game changer. It really makes the coffee smooth with a great finish. I have 6 or 7 Pinon trees on my property and I harvest and roast them myself when I have the motivation. they are not so easy to harvest because they look like rabbit turds (if you dont want to climb for the fresh ones) and we also have many rabbits on my property. On top of that every nut must be checked. They are inexpensive so I just typically buy them from local vendors already cleaned and roasted.

Last edited:

You can still be a coffee snob and have fast coffee 😉

Here in NM USA we love grinding Pinon nuts with our coffee beans. Talk about game changer. It really makes the coffee smooth with a great finish. I have 6 or 7 Pinon trees on my property and I harvest and roast them myself when I have the motivation. they are not so easy to harvest because they look like rabbit turds (if you dont want to climb for the fresh ones) and we also have many rabbits on my property. On top of that every nut must be checked. They are inexpensive so I just typically buy them from local vendors already cleaned and roasted.
They used to grind cardamom pods with coffee for Arabic coffee when I worked I Saudi.

My favourite style of middle/near eastern coffee is Turkish though, which is basically the same as greek and Lebanese.

I have the pot for that too, but now have an induction stove, so it doesn't work..

You can still be a coffee snob and have fast coffee 😉

How much was that bad boy? I got room in my office for one.

I should say, I still buy good coffee; it works out that Publix always puts the expensive stuff as a buy one/get one, so I stock up because I can go a week without having food in my fridge but I NEED coffee. I’ve had to stop drinking it after 6PM to keep my sleep schedule semi-normal, but from 6AM until 6PM it’s all I drink. I just have a Keurig at work but have a nice pot at home and still grind my beans regularly. Always random brands though, I just stopped ordering it online.

How much was that bad boy? I got room in my office for one.

I should say, I still buy good coffee; it works out that Publix always puts the expensive stuff as a buy one/get one, so I stock up because I can go a week without having food in my fridge but I NEED coffee. I’ve had to stop drinking it after 6PM to keep my sleep schedule semi-normal, but from 6AM until 6PM it’s all I drink. I just have a Keurig at work but have a nice pot at home and still grind my beans regularly. Always random brands though, I just stopped ordering it online.
They're on Amazon UK for the equivalent of $450, so I'd bet they have them in the US too.

I'm not so fussy about coffee beans, I used to buy bags from a speciality roaster in the UK, but Lavazza is more than adequate and easy to find.

The whole reason I got this was that I was done grinding beans, even in an electric screwdriver powered hand grinder. I was especially done with the following every morning for 2 people

That being said, its it's a lifesaver on trips.

I draw a line there.

One of the Indonesian guys in Saudi used to bring it though.
I saw the thais doing that stuff on Discovery Earth. They earn pretty good dollars on it. But they did have to set up areas first so that animal wanted to poop there regularly, then they went out every day to collect that poop. Then some poor employee in the company got assigned to wash that poop bean mess for several days… ugh.. but money is money.

Coffee is basically religion here in Italy therefore a very good espresso is really easy to find everywhere.

At home my wife makes coffe with the moka pot me, on the other side, I drink tons of instant coffee all the day.

I used a coffe brewer for a long time but finding the grinded coffee for a brewer is not easy here. It's not in our culture therefore I moved to instant.

I am confused by the "Coffee is a religion here" and then the mention and use of Instant coffee. :idk

Timid post alert...

I love me some Starbucks lattes. But I can easily overdo it, which is a waste of money to me. So it's just an occasional indulgence for me these days. But at home, I buy the cheap pods, and I like French Vanilla creamer. My Keurig can make lattes, but the taste isn't all that great.

I'd love to be able to make lattes that taste much better, and I hate the waste factor of all those pod cups I throw away. But I also don't want to waste a bunch of money trying different things as I learn. Hmmm, kinda a lot like finding the best gear for yourself.

I don't even understand a lot of the terms being tossed about in this thread. I can't tell if some of them are a type, a method, or an actual brand name!

Any tips to help a guy who loves a good cup of coffee, and an occasional flavored latte? I probably average 2-3 cups, spread out through the day, usually only 1 at a time, which is a big reason I use the pods.

Timid post alert...

I love me some Starbucks lattes. But I can easily overdo it, which is a waste of money to me. So it's just an occasional indulgence for me these days. But at home, I buy the cheap pods, and I like French Vanilla creamer. My Keurig can make lattes, but the taste isn't all that great.

I'd love to be able to make lattes that taste much better, and I hate the waste factor of all those pod cups I throw away. But I also don't want to waste a bunch of money trying different things as I learn. Hmmm, kinda a lot like finding the best gear for yourself.

I don't even understand a lot of the terms being tossed about in this thread. I can't tell if some of them are a type, a method, or an actual brand name!

Any tips to help a guy who loves a good cup of coffee, and an occasional flavored latte? I probably average 2-3 cups, spread out through the day, usually only 1 at a time, which is a big reason I use the pods.

Give us a list of terms you dont understand 👍

To know a thing, you have to be informed of it. I'm sure noone will mind informing you 🙂

But to start you off, to make a latte, you need frothy milk. You can buy little handheld frothers that look kind like a Dutch Whisk. Or you can buy standalone frothers you pour the milk into.

Then all you need is an espresso shot, which I suspect the Keirig would be more than fine for.

Back