The Coffee Thread

Give us a list of terms you dont understand 👍

To know a thing, you have to be informed of it. I'm sure noone will mind informing you 🙂

But to start you off, to make a latte, you need frothy milk. You can buy little handheld frothers that look kind like a Dutch Whisk. Or you can buy standalone frothers you pour the milk into.

Then all you need is an espresso shot, which I suspect the Keirig would be more than fine for.
Ok, maybe I was exaggerating a little bit, but lemme go back thru the thread...

Aeropress, Nanopresso, technivorm mochamaster and a good burr grinder, Ceramic or Steel Burr, Hario Switch immersion/pour-over hybrid along with a 1ZPRESSO JX hand grinder, faffing.

I have a mid-grade Keurig that has a frother, but the taste is nowhere near as good as a Vanilla latte from Starbucks. If I could make that at home, I'd be content.

Ok, maybe I was exaggerating a little bit, but lemme go back thru the thread...

Aeropress, Nanopresso, technivorm mochamaster and a good burr grinder, Ceramic or Steel Burr, Hario Switch immersion/pour-over hybrid along with a 1ZPRESSO JX hand grinder, faffing.

I have a mid-grade Keurig that has a frother, but the taste is nowhere near as good as a Vanilla latte from Starbucks. If I could make that at home, I'd be content.

So, Aeropress and Nanopresso are types of portable coffee maker, literally fit in a small carry case.

The Technivorm is an old school tabletop coffee maker.

A burr grinder is a type of grinder that gives a consistent grind, almost like 2 concentric rings with rough edges facing each other, this is as opposed to a blade type spice grinder that a lot of companies sell as coffee grinders. The advantage is that because one of the rings is actually a cone, you can control the grind size by sinking it deeper into the ring or moving it back.

The hario is a type of "pour over" coffee maker which I think is a Japanese originated method. Usually consists of a conical beaker with a hole in the bottom, into which you put a filter, and underneath a cup or jug. Then you pour the hot water over. This is different from a percolater because it doesn't over extract or scald the beans which can give a bitter taste.

The JX is a type of hand grinder, theres loads, table top and portable. I have a Porlex and a Rhino portable grinders. They're all usually burr.

Faffing/fannying: british expression used to denote going to excessive effort for the sake of a small reward.

Aeropress, Hario V60, Hario Switch and Bialetti Brikka are my coffee makers of choice. Black, very very rarely put anything in my coffee. :)

1663825655507.png

1663825723926.png

1663825787958.png

1663825825368.png

I'm using a Wilfa burr grinder that has served me well for about 10 years now.

1663825888654.png

Well my anxiety and tinnitus have improved lately so I'm back up to two cups of coffee in the morning, which is pleasant.

I'm curious how the new Fellow Ode grinder 2.0 burrs are going to be received. That along with the Stagg kettle would be really nice for a daily pourover setup, which is how I drink coffee 99% of the time.

Well my anxiety and tinnitus have improved lately so I'm back up to two cups of coffee in the morning, which is pleasant.

I'm curious how the new Fellow Ode grinder 2.0 burrs are going to be received. That along with the Stagg kettle would be really nice for a daily pourover setup, which is how I drink coffee 99% of the time.
Is that one where you can heat to a specific temp?

I am enjoying a Cuppa Pour Over right now. Sooooooooo good. I am my own Barista. :LOL:
I'm kinda eyeing pour overs at the moment....

Is that one where you can heat to a specific temp?

I'm kinda eyeing pour overs at the moment....

Yeah, it's kind of a Gucci electric kettle that all the cool coffee kids have. I have a $40 electric gooseneck kettle I got from Target that works just fine, but it only heats up to boiling (assuming 212F). That's pretty much fine too, since you basically want to brew just off a boil anyway. For tea I will just throw an ice cube in there to get back to temp. But toys are fun.

Do you have any coffee gear or starting from scratch?

Yeah, it's kind of a Gucci electric kettle that all the cool coffee kids have. I have a $40 electric gooseneck kettle I got from Target that works just fine, but it only heats up to boiling (assuming 212F). That's pretty much fine too, since you basically want to brew just off a boil anyway. For tea I will just throw an ice cube in there to get back to temp. But toys are fun.

Do you have any coffee gear or starting from scratch?

I Started the thread 😉

1 Coffee bean grinder, 1 high end Coffee brewer and 1 Espresso/Cappuccino maker
I take my coffee very seriously :chef

Loves me coffee!

Behmor 1600+ roaster, Rancilio Rocky, Technivorm Moccamaster / La Spaziale Vivaldi II.
Almost always with a 3-part melange roast of Guatemala Huehuetenango.

Back