The Coffee Thread

tekbow

Roadie
Are you a coffee drinker?

Do you like to fanny around with complex methods of making coffee?

This may be the thread for you, or not.

My coffee evolution started with an Aeropress and hand grinder, then moved onto a Nanopresso, and a different hand grinder whose handle nub would fit into a electric screwdrivers standard hex socket.

Mainly because I worked away from home and needed quality portable coffee. I fannied with grind sizes, bean weights and water volumes for each of them until I had fine tuned the hell out of them.

When it came time to get a home coffee maker, i decided to avoid retreading that path, and went with a bean to cup machine that did one thing really well, an espresso shot, which I could then top off with water for my preferred Americano.

I wanted to press a button and have good coffee come out the other side with the minimum of fuss.

Which? Informed me, in the range I wanted to pay, that this would be the Melitta Avanza 600 Series.

And a fine shot of espresso it does too.

20220920_123713.jpg

20220920_122701.jpg

Moderately funny coffee anecdote:

My wife, who did not drink coffee and who doesn't seem to object to me buying guitar gear, did object to a full coffee machine.

I started her off on packet Mochas, which she enjoyed. She eventually moved herself onto Americanos And Espressos.

Soon as it got to that point, and the possibility of her having to faff with hand grinders and the nanopresso reared its head, we had a coffee machine within 2 weeks.

Work smart, not hard.

Old school technivorm mochamaster and a good burr grinder, with dark roasted fresh beans shipped direct monthly.

Pics welcome!

Ceramic or Steel Burr? I have no preference, they both have pros and cons, but the topic seems to generate debate.

Are you a coffee drinker?

Do you like to fanny around with complex methods of making coffee?

This may be the thread for you, or not.

My coffee evolution started with an Aeropress and hand grinder, then moved onto a Nanopresso, and a different hand grinder whose handle nub would fit into a electric screwdrivers standard hex socket.

Mainly because I worked away from home and needed quality portable coffee. I fannied with grind sizes, bean weights and water volumes for each of them until I had fine tuned the hell out of them.

When it came time to get a home coffee maker, i decided to avoid retreading that path, and went with a bean to cup machine that did one thing really well, an espresso shot, which I could then top off with water for my preferred Americano.

I wanted to press a button and have good coffee come out the other side with the minimum of fuss.

Which? Informed me, in the range I wanted to pay, that this would be the Melitta Avanza 600 Series.

And a fine shot of espresso it does too.

View attachment 731

View attachment 732

Moderately funny coffee anecdote:

My wife, who did not drink coffee and who doesn't seem to object to me buying guitar gear, did object to a full coffee machine.

I started her off on packet Mochas, which she enjoyed. She eventually moved herself onto Americanos And Espressos.

Soon as it got to that point, and the possibility of her having to faff with hand grinders and the nanopresso reared its head, we had a coffee machine within 2 weeks.

Work smart, not hard.

I love coffee but I'm not that motivated. I keep saying I am going to get an espresso machine and never get around to it.

I am but I have horrible taste and dump all sorts of flavored crap in it. Makers of flavored creamer everywhere; please keep making delicious chocolate creamers to get people hooked then discontinuing them while garbage like Peeps flavored creamer stays in production for eternity :cuss

I am but I have horrible taste and dump all sorts of flavored crap in it. Makers of flavored creamer everywhere; please keep making delicious chocolate creamers to get people hooked then discontinuing them while garbage like Peeps flavored creamer stays in production for eternity :cuss

My wife is that way. The top shelf of our fridge looks like the flavored creamer section at the grocery store. I occasionally will partake. I like the Hazelnut

My wife is that way. The top shelf of our fridge looks like the flavored creamer section at the grocery store. I occasionally will partake. I like the Hazelnut

F******g flavoured creamer....

Hipsters...

😉

I swear if anyone brings up pod coffee makers...

It's like 10 years ago when you said you played guitar and someone would go "yeah, I play guitar Hero!"

We just threw away a Keurig machine we got as a house warming gift. It got used twice in 3 years. I would have donated it but I went to run some hot water and vinegar through it and it wouldn't produce anything.

I have been getting deeper and deeper into coffee over the last few years. Currently, my daily driver brewer is a Hario Switch immersion/pour-over hybrid along with a 1ZPRESSO JX hand grinder. I also got a Breville Barista Express to play around with espresso and latte earlier this year, but I haven't been able to use it much due to my wife being on calls all day.

Previously I was drinking several cups per day, but I cut it back to about one cup per day to help with anxiety.

We just threw away a Keurig machine we got as a house warming gift. It got used twice in 3 years. I would have donated it but I went to run some hot water and vinegar through it and it wouldn't produce anything.

I'm saying that tongue in cheek of course, in situations where the only other option is Nescafe original, pods have been more than welcomed

Not much faffing with coffee for the wife and I. When it was just me, a little more faffing was afoot. I have good auto grinder and used to use a press until I moved in with my wife, who isn't a coffee connoisseur whatsoever and wants a gallon of coffee Stat first thing in the morning.

We currently have a run-of-the-mill Black and Decker drip machine after exhausting our nice Mr. Coffee (hot water always ready) we got as a wedding gift.

Big cans of Folgers and big jugs of creamer were the mainstays until we decided to try something that didn't taste like iron and I pretty much cut dairy out of my life (phlegm, yuck!).

My wife landed a job at one of the best schools in our district, and when the parents give teachers gifts they give her fancy bags of coffee from local small batch farmers.

Just faff enough to enjoy coffee again, not just drink mud to be able to trudge along through the day. No crazy flavored creamers needed, just a little bit of oak milk.

Back