Reverb/Delay Pedal for someone who doesn't need reverb delay

I'm gonna cancel the True Spring, honest.
I possibly OK probably lied. GC's listing for the True Spring was one blurry little mugshot, so I assumed I'd be getting pedal only - probably with a few dings, some old Velcro, and half of the previous owner's cat. I hemmed and hawed about cancelling... then finally drove over to pick it up (neglecting to check their hours first, and standing outside annoyed with myself for about a half an hour), and it's basically brand new, in box, with all the accessories - including the "Favorite Switch" SA optionally bundles in for another $20. It doesn't look like anyone's ever used the thing!

TrueSpring.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm going to love the Caverns, too (maybe even more than the True Spring), so oops. Apparently I'm a pedal guy now. :facepalm

This pedal's been on my radar forever. Looking forward to your thoughts after trying it with some high gain tones. (y)
I've already spent a few hours with a friend's True Spring (and a Mesa TA-30.) It impressed me as being best paired with a clean amp for all the vintage Fender-y stuff it wants to do. It was fine/ functional for smoothing out high gain tones, but I had to make an effort to dial back all of the "character" it wants to throw around. I'm actually expecting the Caverns to be better-suited to high gain tones. (I like having delay available for leads, and the other reverb modes will be welcome, too.)

but I had to make an effort to dial back all of the "character" it wants to throw around.
I find this to be a case with all SA reverbs and delays, whereas my Strymons seem to be already "dialed back". I have the True Spring algo on my SA Collider but it has less adjustability than the separate pedal, and no Tremolo of course.

I usually just use room reverb or plate and I can't remember the last time I turned on a delay.

However, I still very much view them as essential. Can anyone recommend a combo reverb delay pedal or some "basic reverb/delay" that will get the job done for a non reverb/delay connoisseur?

If you don't need stereo, then I would suggest the combination of the 1st generation tc electronic HOF mini and Flashback mini, or the tc electronic Skysurfer mini digital reverb and Bucket Brigade analog delay. If you need stereo, then the full size versions of the Hall of Fame and Flashback, or the combination of any Boss compact delay and reverb, such as the DD-8 and RV-6. You might also consider the tc electronic Plethora X3, which will give you more flexibility.

I find this to be a case with all SA reverbs and delays, whereas my Strymons seem to be already "dialed back". I have the True Spring algo on my SA Collider but it has less adjustability than the separate pedal, and no Tremolo of course.
Yep. In another recent thread, I wrote this about the True Spring:

“The controls are wide and sort of asymmetrical, if that makes sense? (tl;dr - it's easy to get yourself in trouble.)”

LOL I just noticed that was in your thread. Anyway, for @Achilles’ benefit: https://thegearforum.com/threads/npd-source-audio-collider.4002/post-185554

Last edited:
“The controls are wide and sort of asymmetrical, if that makes sense? (tl;dr - it's easy to get yourself in trouble.)”

Why do designers do this - Include excessive range of effect that serves absolutely no purpose unless you're Roger Waters on LSD?

Why do designers do this - Include excessive range of effect that serves absolutely no purpose unless you're Roger Waters on LSD?
In this case, I think it's just a matter of really targeting the "surf" demographic, with lots of in your face drip, etc. But yes, there seems to be a logarithmic vs. linear thing (or vice-versa) happening that makes some of the controls more finicky than maybe they could have been? Still haven't gotten mine out of the box, so further opinions TBD. :)

If you don't need stereo, then I would suggest the combination of the 1st generation tc electronic HOF mini and Flashback mini, or the tc electronic Skysurfer mini digital reverb and Bucket Brigade analog delay. If you need stereo, then the full size versions of the Hall of Fame and Flashback, or the combination of any Boss compact delay and reverb, such as the DD-8 and RV-6. You might also consider the tc electronic Plethora X3, which will give you more flexibility.
I can agree with this. I have the mini version of both the HOF first gen and the Flashback. I bought the HOF mini to put in the effects loop of my amps that don't have reverb. I have the Flashback mini on a mini pedal board I built. I use the full size version on my full size boards. It is a good bang for the buck. Both of these are able to be bought at good prices used.

Please report back on preset switching tim

I thought about those but the dispatch master has some wonderful reviews and it's not uncommon to see "best pedal I've owned".

But I will check these out! I probably won't be getting one until next month but can always route the HX one to be a reverb or delay if needed in the meantime

nervous-sweating-sweating-bullets.gif

Well if your only other spring reverb is the QC version, then anything is better 😂
Not questioning better vs. worse (or as you said, "fun"); questioning "physical".

As for "more expensive", the QC sets a pretty high bar LOL.

Not questioning better vs. worse (or as you said, "fun"); questioning "physical".

As for "more expensive", the QC sets a pretty high bar LOL.
I think spring verbs are a little more unique as a true physical spring is not really pedalboard friendly.

But you are right, I'm not sure it's any different!

Digging into True Verb + Mesa Express, with the same result I often have after spending any money:

"Oh, this is lovely, but what a surprise - the stuff I already owned also sounds lovely!"

Meaning, the Mesa Express with its own reverb turned up sounds pretty great in its own right.

Time to deep dive on the True Spring and try to convince myself I need it LOL. (An easier sell with my TA-30, but that's out on loan at the moment.)

Time to deep dive on the True Spring and try to convince myself I need it LOL.
Verdict:

200w.gif

This pedal is amazing. More going on here than I realized when I decided I had to buy one LOL. The reverb is crazy versatile, and the trem side is just gorgeous. I finally remembered where the "toggle trem input" button is, spun the knobs at random, and instantly got something so lush I could happily use it in place of a rotary sim.

My only "complaint" is that there is very clearly going to be a learning curve, followed by months/ years of, "Oh I wish this were easier to do." There's at least a double-wide pedal worth of functionality here, crammed into a standard sized enclosure with 4 knobs, so... take the good with the bad, I guess. :)

Back