Reverb/Delay Pedal for someone who doesn't need reverb delay

Why do designers do this - Include excessive range of effect that serves absolutely no purpose unless you're Roger Waters on LSD?
Because otherwise someone will complain that it won't go far enough. I've seen people complain e.g that Strymons are not bright enough, or their spring reverb is not drippy enough etc.

I think spring verbs are a little more unique as a true physical spring is not really pedalboard friendly.

But you are right, I'm not sure it's any different!
You do have real spring reverb pedals like the Surfybear. They are pretty huge as far as pedals go.

My take on spring reverbs is that the real ones suck. They tend to be noisy in amps, they are fragile, make your amp go "boiinng" whenever you bump it into something while moving it, and they never have enough adjustment. Usually just a level control which doesn't do enough if you have a spring tank that has just a bit too splashy decay for example.

Digital spring reverbs are just way more practical because you can dial in/out a lot more stuff, change how many springs you have on the fly etc.

My favorite built in amp reverb of all the amps I've owned so far is the one I had on my Victory VC35. Instead of a spring, it was something between a plate and a hall, fully digital. Way more useful.

Heretic!

Unless by suck you mean lot's of character and charm.
IME, not all are created equal. And if you don’t happen to love the flavor of reverb an amp arrives with, there’s usually not much you can do (except not use it.)

IME, not all are created equal. And if you don’t happen to love the flavor of reverb an amp arrives with, there’s usually not much you can do (except not use it.)

Hate bringing up how I use to have to walk uphill to school - both ways, but my reply is more from the kid in me who remembers my first amp with reverb, Sears Silvertone 2 x 12 half stack - and yes, if you gave the cab a good kick with the Reverb on 10 you'd definitely get everyone's attention.

We're talking pre-master volume and FX loop days here, 1973-74 maybe? My first delay unit was tape. Can't remember the brand (Roland maybe?) but it used these weird sized cassettes that inserted like an 8 track. Clearly remember having to clean the heads pretty often cause if they got even the slightest bit dirty you'd hear it right away. :rofl

Last edited:
Well you can swap the reverb tank to one with shorter/longer/less/more springs but that's about it without more extensive modding.

I'm going to be happy if I never buy another amp with a real spring reverb in it.

Well you can swap the reverb tank to one with shorter/longer/less/more springs but that's about it without more extensive modding.

I'm going to be happy if I never buy another amp with a real spring reverb in it.
There was a time, not too long ago, when I would have argued with you, but these recent digital spring emulations are so good, and so cost effective, and so versatile (for instance, happy to morph into plate or whatever), and so tiny… Actual springs start looking almost vestigial.

Hate bringing up how I use to have to walk uphill to school - both ways, but my reply is more from the kid in me who remembers my first amp with reverb, Sears Silvertone 2 x 12 half stack - and yes, if you gave the cab a good kick with the Reverb on 10 you'd definitely get everyone's attention.

We're talking pre-master volume and FX loop days here, 1973-74 maybe? My first delay unit was tape. Can't remember the brand (Roland maybe?) but it used these weird sized cassettes that inserted like an 8 track. Clearly remember having to clean the heads pretty often cause if they got even the slightest bit dirty you'd hear it right away. :rofl

Sounds like a fucking awesome way to grow up. :beer

Source Audio True Spring Reverb or a Catalinbread Topanga Spring Reverb. Both got lush sounding reverb that give depth to your sound.

Reverbs.jpg

Last edited:
Split my fingertip open cutting a bagel so guitar is not too enjoyable right now 😂

But the limited time, the HX one is very easy to navigate and fun to use. Great pedal!

I'll report back when I can actually fret my guitar 😂
You just need to learn to play guitar with your feet in the meantime!

It feels so foreign 😂😂

After seeing a picture of Django when I first started playing I started practicing with one finger of my left hand taped up with a splint so it couldn't bend. Index for an hour then move it to the middle finger, etc.

In hindsight I'm not sure how my playing may have benefited, but to this day I can still whip out a good solo without using my index finger!

If you have a grand laying around then these :D lol

Meris LVX delay and Meris Mercury X Reverb, but they both are so much more than that.

MERIS LVX AND MERCURY X 3-14-2024.jpg

Back