Request to help recovering Grammar/Spelling Nazi's

mavrick102000

Shredder
So I've been dangerously close to my former behavior of providing grammar corrections on the internet, and in public - not really on TGF.

I've done well for several years, but some Natural born American English speakers are finding new ways to test my filter. Still trying to follow the understanding that even when trying to be helpful you can come off as a dick.

I've been able to look past "For Sell vs. For Sale" for well over a decade without comment, and only an occasional slight twitch.

But the "latest" trend in speech and writing is "These ones." (ex: "Have you seen anything like these ones before?") This is testing my filter.

It's redundant, and the equivalent of saying "this this" or "these these". Rather than directing it at any individual posting content on the interwebz, I thought I would put it here for your personal entertainment.

This is my plea: Natural born American English speakers/writers - un-fuck yourselves. This is only acceptable if you're 8 years old or younger.

While we're at it let's address up-speak because I'm noticing the pattern emerging in other cultures globally - and confusing ESL speakers is not cool. (and I'm on a roll :sofa )

What is up-speak?

It's changing the inflection and pitch of your voice upward in an unnatural way when making a statement that is typically only used as an inflection when one asks a question. It's like a crappier version of Valley girl speak from Moon Unit Zappa in the 80's. But, even during that time, a statement clearly sounded like a statement, and a question a question.

There is only one language on the planet where this upward pitch inflection is natural whether making a statement or asking a question - French.

I noticed this trend about 8-9 years ago, please stop or correct your children. You sound like an idiot to the majority of people on that planet, and picked up this pattern being influenced by 12 y/o Canadian girls, where this trend seems to have originated.

I think that's enough for now. :D

Last edited:
What's your take on the utterly moronic "off of" instead of "from"?
ie. "I got it off of ebay".

What about "should of"?

7plcse.gif

For some reason those relatively easy for me to ignore without risk of aneurism.

Likely, at least on the "should of" sounds similar to the contraction "Should've - Should have" .

How about expanding upon that with a twist .... "Should have went" or "Should of went".

That hurt to type if I'm being honest. :rofl

Usage of went vs. gone seems to be a more southern thing in my experience.

As a non English speaker who is self taught, I fully support your relapse into grammar Nazism on my posts.

I'm with you. I noticed "these ones" probably 10-15 years ago, and it still bothers me.

There's also a small handful of words wherein people have started to add suffixes to, that are totally unnecessary, since the original word conveys the same definition. I know one when I see it, but I can't think of an example.

I watched a very intelligent, well-spoken TV journalist last night, and it was actually refreshing to listen to someone speak so concisely, breaking down complex political topics in a way that even I could understand. Good grammar/language skills is a hallmark of an educated society, and when it's "allowed" to be dumbed-down, in a way it's like we go backwards a bit.

I catch all sorts of misspellings even in news article headlines!

I'd imagine much of it makes English even harder to learn than it already is.

And here's one I remember being taught in school to never do, but seems to have evolved to be acceptable: Ending a sentence with a preposition, as in, "Are you going out?"
What's your take on the utterly moronic "off of" instead of "from"?
ie. "I got it off of ebay".
"Off of"..., ehh. You bought it from a seller, or off of a site. I can see that one being ok in certain contexts. "I took some dope off of the perp."
What about "should of"?
Never. :hmm It's the written sound of the contraction, 'should've.' If you're writing it out as 2 words, it should be "should have."

How 'bout, "Could care less?" :cop

It's like a crappier version of Valley girl speak from Moon Unit Zappa in the 80's.
"girl speak" should have a hyphen between the 2 words. :sofa:rofl

Now I'll stop. ;)

I catch all sorts of misspellings even in news article headlines
This is not the case just for English / US. News articles have become illiterate in my country. News portals are hiring students to "write" (i.e. copy and translate) articles and it became absolutely horrific. Proofreaders are extinct.
TV networks are no better, they used to have language and phonetic departments. None of that now. TV hosts on national TV speaking their local dialects, sounding like they're reading those student translated articles.
No profit in decent language.

What? No! You should be doing the opposite. You're doing getting old all wrong!
Don't fight it!
seth meyers GIF

I have met one too many old guys and seen the future. It is not pretty, fun, or healthy. :LOL:

I want to enjoy life, and not sit on my porch and bitch about "kids these days!"

Back