Equalizer Question: Shelving

Achilles

Rock Star
Question is specifically about electric guitar frequencies at approx. 70dB SPL.

Can a LF shelf set at the right frequency take the place of a high pass filter set for around 180Hz/12dB per octave?

I'd like to replace two pedals with a single unit but it has only a shelf filter option.
Thanks.

Maybe check using EQ plugins in a DAW..
At that volume, a studio monitor will still give you a clear sound and you can do a quick A/B.

Any stock DAW plugin should be able to do this.

Maybe check using EQ plugins in a DAW..
At that volume, a studio monitor will still give you a clear sound and you can do a quick A/B.

Any stock DAW plugin should be able to do this.

I don't have a DAW setup.

If your HP is set as high as 180 Hz, I doubt you’d get that much reduction from a low shelf.

Pretty sure the HP filter is a 12dB per octave roll-off. If I set the low shelf for the same 180 Hz and the gain reduction to 12dB I'm thinking I'd get the same results. Neither my single 12" open back cab and volume levels are going to reproduce much of anything as low as the octave below 180.

Going to buy the unit and give it a try since it has a 30 day return window.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the HP filter is a 12dB per octave roll-off. If I set the low shelf for the same 180 Hz and the gain reduction to 12dB I'm thinking I'd get the same results. Neither my single 12" open back cab and volume levels are going to reproduce much of anything as low as the octave below 180.

Going to buy the unit and give it a try since it has a 30 day return window.
Yeah, at that low volume, it won’t be as noticeable for sure.
When I was using amps, I had a 12” and an 8” wet/dry.
At really low volumes, I’d just switch to the 8”.
Bigger speakers get so muffled at low SPL. Your low cuts should be handy.

If your new pedal allows for that much tweaking, sure try it out.

If both, the HP filter and shelf are set the same, does the filter still cut more?
I don’t know..

If both, the HP filter and shelf are set the same, does the filter still cut more?
I don’t know..

Theoretically, yes.

HP would be flat at 180, down 12dB at 90Hz, 24dB at 45Hz, 36dB at 22.5.....
Shelf would be flat at 180, then down 12dB at 90, 80, 70.....

At 70SPL I just don't think I'm going to hear anything at all down 12dB at those frequencies.

We'll see.

Reactions: V|J
Theoretically, yes.

HP would be flat at 180, down 12dB at 90Hz, 24dB at 45Hz, 36dB at 22.5.....
Shelf would be flat at 180, then down 12dB at 90, 80, 70.....

At 70SPL I just don't think I'm going to hear anything at all down 12dB at those frequencies.

We'll see.
Ah ok, I can relate that to the graphs I’ve seen for shelves and filters.
Yeah, at those low volumes and through a big guitar speaker, it’ll probably not be noticeable at all.

Ah ok, I can relate that to the graphs I’ve seen for shelves and filters.
Yeah, at those low volumes and through a big guitar speaker, it’ll probably not be noticeable at all.

To my ears the shelving is having the same result as the HP filter and removing any semblance of low woof.
Sames goes on the high side. I'm down about 3dB from 6.8Khz and up and all extreme glassiness is gone.

Really nice unit too.

(y) (y) (y)

To my ears the shelving is having the same result as the HP filter and removing any semblance of low woof.
Sames goes on the high side. I'm down about 3dB from 6.8Khz and up and all extreme glassiness is gone.

Really nice unit too.

(y) (y) (y)
It’s great that it worked out.
What pedal is this?

What pedal is this?

Golden Art Project EQ-81. It's 1/2 rack space wide.

eq-81-mkiii-scaled.jpg

Golden Art Project EQ-81. It's 1/2 rack space wide.

eq-81-mkiii-scaled.jpg
Cool, that’s a very handy EQ.
In my naivety, I’m always solving my tone problems with EQ.
It’s easier with plugins..

The EQ I use is a similar vintage rack stock plugin in the DAW.

Back