Request to help recovering Grammar/Spelling Nazi's

For some odd reason this morning it occurred to me that my description of why the use of "these ones" is incorrect. I have no idea why this came to mind at this point.

My correction:

It's not redundant - it's non-sensical.

"These" implies more than one.

Trying to pluralize "one" to mate up to "these" cannot mathematically occur. One equals one (a numerical value) and cannot be referring to greater than one item.

Proper usage is either "This one" or "These items", or a more specific description of the specfic items (more than one) being referred to.

Carry on. :crazy

Moonunit Zappa has entered the chat.
frank GIF

For some odd reason this morning it occurred to me that my description of why the use of "these ones" is incorrect. I have no idea why this came to mind at this point.

My correction:

It's not redundant - it's non-sensical.

"These" implies more than one.

Trying to pluralize "one" to mate up to "these" cannot mathematically occur. One equals one (a numerical value) and cannot be referring to greater than one item.

Proper usage is either "This one" or "These items", or a more specific description of the specfic items (more than one) being referred to.

Carry on. :crazy
Depends on the context I suppose. One can take the place of 1. Say you are standing next to a bunch of statues that look like a 1 - you could say, "I'm standing next to a bunch of these ones." That could be confusing in written form, unless there's some added context. It may be better to say, "I'm standing next to a bunch of these 1's." Again, without context it doesn't make sense. Ultimately it would be better to say "I'm standing next to a bunch of statues that each look like the numerical 1."
Now if you're speaking with someone and they see the statues around you, then the first sentence is verbally correct because there is visual context.

So I've been dangerously close to my former behavior of providing grammar corrections on the internet, and in public - not really on TGF.

I've done well for several years, but some Natural born American English speakers are finding new ways to test my filter. Still trying to follow the understanding that even when trying to be helpful you can come off as a dick.

I've been able to look past "For Sell vs. For Sale" for well over a decade without comment, and only an occasional slight twitch.

But the "latest" trend in speech and writing is "These ones." (ex: "Have you seen anything like these ones before?") This is testing my filter.

It's redundant, and the equivalent of saying "this this" or "these these". Rather than directing it at any individual posting content on the interwebz, I thought I would put it here for your personal entertainment.

This is my plea: Natural born American English speakers/writers - un-fuck yourselves. This is only acceptable if you're 8 years old or younger.

While we're at it let's address up-speak because I'm noticing the pattern emerging in other cultures globally - and confusing ESL speakers is not cool. (and I'm on a roll :sofa )

What is up-speak?

It's changing the inflection and pitch of your voice upward in an unnatural way when making a statement that is typically only used as an inflection when one asks a question. It's like a crappier version of Valley girl speak from Moon Unit Zappa in the 80's. But, even during that time, a statement clearly sounded like a statement, and a question a question.

There is only one language on the planet where this upward pitch inflection is natural whether making a statement or asking a question - French.

I noticed this trend about 8-9 years ago, please stop or correct your children. You sound like an idiot to the majority of people on that planet, and picked up this pattern being influenced by 12 y/o Canadian girls, where this trend seems to have originated.

I think that's enough for now. :D
Your username is Mavrick. Your argument is invalid

I am fighting the natural inclination to be more of a know-it-all, judgmental ass in life with increasing age,
and become more easy going and accepting. Not my job to grade papers here on Earth. :idk
Not my job to grade papers either, but I did it a few days ago to help out an old colleague.

Screenshot_20230828_100505_Brave.jpg

everyone are triggered also!

Back