Request to help recovering Grammar/Spelling Nazi's

or healthy.
Pfff, who wants to live forever!

who wants to live forever queen GIF

Scribes and Pharisees be damned! It is not the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law that matters most!

Thank you,
G Bus!

:rofl

Last edited:
I definitely left several "Easter eggs" in the original post.

It's somewhat humorous, but I've found it best to help me get over these things based on the ridicule directed at my own mistakes throughout the process.

I definitely left several "Easter eggs" in the original post.

It's somewhat humorous, but I've found it best to help me get over these things based on the ridicule directed at my own mistakes throughout the process.

Yup. It's an healthy ego check. :LOL:

At my age all I need to do is look in the mirror and suddenly I find
myself inspired to keep my head down and mouth shut. :wat

Yup. It's an healthy ego check. :LOL:

At my age all I need to do is look in the mirror and suddenly I find
myself inspired to keep my head down and mouth shut. :wat
But that makes too much sense and would at least seem to be easier. :D

It's much easier for me do what you're describing than it was 15-18 years ago. Everyone's learning curve is a bit different.

Oh, I fight the old man cursing the entire world urge everyday. It's the old man's version
of teenage fapping.

I know better. Mostly. :LOL:

Still trying to follow the understanding that even when trying to be helpful you can come off as a dick.
Who is "still trying"? Do you mean yourself or someone else?
Also, you should drop the second "trying" because it doesn't flow well in the sentence.
The term "dick" is not a very sophisticated choice either.

Try this instead:
"I'm still grappling with the concept: how a helpful response could warrant a negative reaction?"

What is up-speak?

It's changing the inflection and pitch of your voice upward in an unnatural way when making a statement that is typically only used as an inflection when one asks a question. It's like a crappier version of Valley girl speak from Moon Unit Zappa in the 80's. But, even during that time, a statement clearly sounded like a statement, and a question a question.

Yeah this is obnoxious, and becoming the norm in a lot of tech circles. I sat on a training call last week with an instructor who did this. Sounded like he was getting an anal probe at the end of every sentence.

Yeah this is obnoxious, and becoming the norm in a lot of tech circles. I sat on a training call last week with an instructor who did this. Sounded like he was getting an anal probe at the end of every sentence.
Is that similar to what a lot of New Zealanders or Aussies do when describing something?
No offense to any of you out there.:grin Sounds cooler with those accents anyways.

I couldn't give you a complete laugh because those are the circles I work around.

What makes it worse is when a late 40's to early 50's woman is doing it for nearly an hour in a weekly department meeting. And I have to have conversations with her regularly regarding governance and contracts.

She's intelligent, but some other speech pattern irregularities combined with the pitch inflection makes it difficult to not want to run out of the building.

The worst scenario I've experienced in a meeting was with the woman mentioned above, a buddy and another female coworker that grew up in New Jersey. The NJ woman is in her late 50's and she does not have any hint of NJ accent. Combine up-speak with some skewed , valley girl airhead- good times.

My buddy had only worked there for about 2 months at the time. When we left the meeting he said, "that was...something." I said, "Yes. Like Lord take me now level of something." We just laughed and went about our day hoping we would never have a specific meeting with the two of them in the same room again.

"girl speak" should have a hyphen between the 2 words. :sofa:rofl

You sure? "Valley girl speak" looks more correct to me than "Valley girl-speak." (If anything, sometimes the girl gets capitalized, as in "Valley Girl.")

If you had to use a hyphen, "Valley-girl speak" makes more sense, but also seems odd.

Overall, "Valley girl speak" looks fine, to me, and is what gets used in this National Geographic title (albeit with a capitalized "Girl"):

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/article/is-valley-girl-speak--like--on-the-rise-

Back