NGD: PRS SE McCarty 594 Singlecut

Gotoh SD90 MG-T Vintage Locking Tuners installed!

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_0677.jpeg

It actually is a little bit different. The are a lot of threads on the PRS forum where people search for help, because they just can‘t figure out the wiring. And I‘m just not able to deal with that without help. But… I was really positively surprised how good the stock pickups sound, I just want a little bit more output. So I thought the simplest solution should be to just buy a higher output PRS pickup. If I don‘t like it I can still re-order DiMarzio D-Activators and make an appointment with the luthier.

I didn't know that. That'll teach me for assuming!! :LOL:

So PRS colour codes are not consistent?

I can't believe it. The \m/ pickup - although it is also from PRS - has different wiring than the factory 58/15 LT S set. The 58/15 has only two cables, although it can be split, the \m/ has 4 cables plus ground. Other PRS pickups have 3 cables. And apparently almost every PRS pickup has a somehow different color coding, it is hardly possible to get the right information. The PRS forum is full of (sometimes completely wrong) information and advice.

I give up. I have just re-ordered a D-Activator set and will have it installed by the guitar tech.

SE pickups are $5 G&B from Korea and the weakest part. They tend to have the start and finish coil codes reversed for the positions but stupidly not on every model. It’s about time the manufacturers standardised the colour scheme.

The main factors in pickup design ( humbuckers) the gauge of the wire, its purity, the thickness of its coating, the shape of the coil,the type and shape of the magnet. Things like the material of the spacer and bobbin make no difference. Even the material of the coating on the wire makes no difference. The thing you hear differently with vintage wire is the purity of the copper and the difference in coating thickness affecting the size of the coil. You can often get quite an upgrade from switching out the magnet on these to something more like those used in The USA version. G&B build quality is good but they use poly wire of a poorer grade and the magnets are ver generic.

The main factors in pickup design ( humbuckers) the gauge of the wire, its purity, the thickness of its coating, the shape of the coil,the type and shape of the magnet. Things like the material of the spacer and bobbin make no difference. Even the material of the coating on the wire makes no difference. The thing you hear differently with vintage wire is the purity of the copper and the difference in coating thickness affecting the size of the coil. You can often get quite an upgrade from switching out the magnet on these to something more like those used in The USA version. G&B build quality is good but they use poly wire of a poorer grade and the magnets are ver generic.

Do you know anything about the 58/15 "S" pickups allegedly being the same exact same pickups as the epiphone probuckers? I don't think they sound particularly similar, but I saw some compelling evidence on the PRS forum that they seem to be identical...

Do you know anything about the 58/15 "S" pickups allegedly being the same exact same pickups as the epiphone probuckers? I don't think they sound particularly similar, but I saw some compelling evidence on the PRS forum that they seem to be identical...
I have no idea! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They come from the same factory and share some components but they are made to each company’s specifications .

I can't believe it. The \m/ pickup - although it is also from PRS - has different wiring than the factory 58/15 LT S set. The 58/15 has only two cables, although it can be split, the \m/ has 4 cables plus ground. Other PRS pickups have 3 cables. And apparently almost every PRS pickup has a somehow different color coding, it is hardly possible to get the right information. The PRS forum is full of (sometimes completely wrong) information and advice.

I give up. I have just re-ordered a D-Activator set and will have it installed by the guitar tech.

Dang! Sorry if I jinxed ya, TTZ!?? :hugitout

You wanted the D-Activators anyways.... and I bet you could install them. :beer

Dimarzio has consistent colour coding. Unlike you know who. :LOL:

Dang! Sorry if I jinxed ya, TTZ!?? :hugitout

You wanted the D-Activators anyways.... and I bet you could install them. :beer

Dimarzio has consistent colour coding. Unlike you know who. :LOL:
Yeah, no need to be sorry. I guess I prefer the D-Activator anyway. Looking forward to having a set again! :rawk

PLEK appointment is tomorrow morning.

Yesterday's PLEK appointment went as hoped - no fret work was required, they were already perfect from the factory. The machine only had to suggest the perfect settings for string action, neck curvature, nut notches etc. It took just a couple of minutes and I was off again.

Last edited:
Cor-Tek Intruments (Cort Guitars) makes a REALLY good guitar...no doubt about it !
Over the weekend I scored a Cort G300 PRO in black, locally. Excellent condition already set up. Roasted maple neck & FB with SS frets.
It plays as smooth as either of my EBMM Silhouette Specials..no joke !! SD pickups direct mounted... :chef

Back