NGD: PRS SE McCarty 594 Singlecut

They actually do have them fitted. I have removed them at least a dozen times and fitted near identical graphtech ones .
Yeah, I know. But the existing nut would have to be worked on anyway, it‘s too high and the slots are slightly too narrow for my strings. I actually ordered an unslotted Graph Tech Nut Slab and will have it processed by the PLEK machine.

Congrats! Glad to hear you dig it! I almost bought one of these last spring, but went a different direction... but I still catch myself looking at one every time I see 'em. Which means I'll make up an excuse to buy one sooner or later 🤣

Yeah, I know. But the existing nut would have to be worked on anyway, it‘s too high and the slots are slightly too narrow for my strings. I actually ordered an unslotted Graph Tech Nut Slab and will have it processed by the PLEK machine.
That will help.

The nut is graphite anyway don’t change it. I have done this a bunch of times and there is nothing wrong with the one on.
I did a little more research, and it seems that PRS has actually stopped using plastic nuts in the SE models since around 2021. So you were right, thanks for the tip! Maybe it doesn't need replacing after all, just filing.

I did a little more research, and it seems that PRS has actually stopped using plastic nuts in the SE models since around 2021. So you were right, thanks for the tip! Maybe it doesn't need replacing after all, just filing.
Yes save the money the nut is actually really good.

Haha, I looked at PRS and DiMarzio wiring diagrams and suddenly felt too stupid to do the replacement myself without the help of a luthier. Since this all seemed too complicated for me, I canceled the DiMarzios and ordered a PRS \m/ bridge pickup instead. If all goes well and I like it, I will also order the neck version. Graph Tech Nut and Gotoh Locking Tuners have been ordered, tomorrow I will make an appointment for the PLEK service. This thing will slay.

Unless I am missing something, there should be zero difference between installing
a PRS pickup and a Dimarzio? Other than color coding of wires it is still essentially
the same process, with no difference in ease or difficulty. :idk

Unless I am missing something, there should be zero difference between installing
a PRS pickup and a Dimarzio? Other than color coding of wires it is still essentially
the same process, with no difference in ease or difficulty. :idk
It actually is a little bit different. The are a lot of threads on the PRS forum where people search for help, because they just can‘t figure out the wiring. And I‘m just not able to deal with that without help. But… I was really positively surprised how good the stock pickups sound, I just want a little bit more output. So I thought the simplest solution should be to just buy a higher output PRS pickup. If I don‘t like it I can still re-order DiMarzio D-Activators and make an appointment with the luthier.

How much is the Plek setting you back? Sweetwater here in the States (I think you’re overseas?) charges $299

How much is the Plek setting you back? Sweetwater here in the States (I think you’re overseas?) charges $299
The shop where I‘m going to (Paderborn, Germany) offers a PLEK-supported setup for just 89 euros ($96). Only if the machine‘s analysis shows that fret work is really necessary, it costs 195 euros ($209). With all the PRS guitars I've had so far (in contrast to the Fender instruments…), it wasn't necessary because the frets were already perfectly dressed at the factory. The PLEK-supported setup alone is absolutely fantastic, because intonation, string action, neck curvature etc. can really be adjusted perfectly. The nut can also be precisely analyzed and filed accordingly. AFAIK it‘s the only shop that offers a cheaper setup if fret work isn‘t necessary. Others always charge full price.

A couple of years ago I sent a PRS SE Custom 22 to Thomann for a PLEK service. The next day I got a call from them and got told they would send the guitar back because there‘s nothing they could do to improve the frets. And the guy who runs the shop I‘m visiting always tells me the same… „Oh, a PRS! Not much work for me.“.

Last edited:
The shop where I‘m going to (Paderborn, Germany) offers a PLEK-supported setup for just 89 euros ($96). Only if the machine‘s analysis shows that fret work is really necessary, it costs 195 euros ($209). With all the PRS guitars I've had so far (in contrast to the Fender instruments…), it wasn't necessary because the frets were already perfectly dressed at the factory. The PLEK-supported setup alone is absolutely fantastic, because intonation, string action, neck curvature etc. can really be adjusted perfectly. The nut can also be precisely analyzed and filed accordingly. AFAIK it‘s the only shop that offers a cheaper setup if fret work isn‘t necessary. Others always charge full price.

A couple of years ago I sent a PRS SE Custom 22 to Thomann for a PLEK service. The next day I got a call from them and got told they would send the guitar back because there‘s nothing they could do to improve the frets. And the guy who runs the shop I‘m visiting always tells me the same… „Oh, a PRS! Not much work for me.“.
That’s awesome!! Solid deal too, even if it needed the Plek.

It actually is a little bit different. The are a lot of threads on the PRS forum where people search for help, because they just can‘t figure out the wiring. And I‘m just not able to deal with that without help. But… I was really positively surprised how good the stock pickups sound, I just want a little bit more output. So I thought the simplest solution should be to just buy a higher output PRS pickup. If I don‘t like it I can still re-order DiMarzio D-Activators and make an appointment with the luthier.

I do feel I’ve read some things regarding some quirks with the PRS pickups? Can’t recall the specifics

Those pickups are great… I have the S2 594 but I don’t have any complaints with the pickups. I think they sound just as good as my guitars with core pickups, and I prefer them to any stock Gibson I’ve tried

Nice axe. I can easily see one of those in my future. My Tremonti SE, (although heavily modified), gets gigged alongside everything else I own.

SEs are good for the money but I still don't accept them as PRS guitars.They are fundamentally different in every relevant detail.

SEs are good for the money but I still don't accept them as PRS guitars.They are fundamentally different in every relevant detail.
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Literally every part is either a different species of wood or a different alloy. The shape is not identical either. The nut is about the only part that is almost identical.

Back