Crazy NGD: PRS S2 McCarty 594

S2 pickups need changing together with the loom . USA PRS pickups aren’t great either so it’s an opportunity to put something good in.
I put Throbak 101s in mine and it made a huge difference.
IMG_3008.jpeg

Mine is a custom 22.
I just need to get around to Stainless 57110 frets but I Hardly play it.

Hey @Jarick I’m attempting doing my first pickup swap on my own on the bridge of my s2 594, wanted to pick your brain if you don’t mind since you’ve just been doing that a lot.

Should I just duplicate how the pickup is currently wired? Or should I follow the SD diagram for 2 humbucker/tone/volume ? I read on the PRs forum tbst that diagram should be the one to use but it has wires going to different spots than the current wiring. Color code appears to be different on SD vs PRS pickup too

CDFE726D-2398-4614-A838-AD2E5A2AE36C.jpeg

C35BBC55-7937-4B5C-BFF6-3D8E3022D04C.jpeg

Are you keeping the pots and switch from factory? If so I would probably follow the PRS wiring diagram (link here: Here's the factory wiring diagram).

You could probably get away with just desoldering existing pickup wires and putting the new ones in. Colors for Seymour Duncan should be the same as above (black is hot and that goes to volume pot, green and bare go to ground, white and red twisted together and go to the coil tap switch (where it says white on the factory diagram, that should be white and red).

If you're using new pots, then I'd redo it all with the Duncan diagram. I like to make a little template from a piece of cardboard, trace where the holes for pots are, put the pots in and then wire it all up except pickups and jack, then install it.

More importantly, what pickups are you putting in?

One thing to be aware of if you haven't already checked, some PRS guitars DO NOT fit long leg humbuckers (like Antiquities, Slash, 59's, etc.). Not 100% on the McCarty 594 as it may be better, but could be an issue.

Are you keeping the pots and switch from factory? If so I would probably follow the PRS wiring diagram (link here: Here's the factory wiring diagram).

You could probably get away with just desoldering existing pickup wires and putting the new ones in. Colors for Seymour Duncan should be the same as above (black is hot and that goes to volume pot, green and bare go to ground, white and red twisted together and go to the coil tap switch (where it says white on the factory diagram, that should be white and red).

If you're using new pots, then I'd redo it all with the Duncan diagram. I like to make a little template from a piece of cardboard, trace where the holes for pots are, put the pots in and then wire it all up except pickups and jack, then install it.

More importantly, what pickups are you putting in?

One thing to be aware of if you haven't already checked, some PRS guitars DO NOT fit long leg humbuckers (like Antiquities, Slash, 59's, etc.). Not 100% on the McCarty 594 as it may be better, but could be an issue.

Thank you for the info that helps immensely!!!!!

Keeping factory pots, just changing the bridge pickup

To an SD Scourge. These leg screws are definitely longer than the PRS ones though… shit….

Thank you for the info that helps immensely!!!!!

Keeping factory pots, just changing the bridge pickup

To an SD Scourge. These leg screws are definitely longer than the PRS ones though… shit….

Yeah that should be an easy swap.

I'm guessing that should work just fine, those are Mark Holcomb pickups and his signature is a PRS so wouldn't make sense to do long legs.

Agreed with Eagle, use the factory screws. You may not be able to drop them as low but longer screws can bottom out in the pickup cavity and cause issues.

Use the PRS ones they should fit.

Whew, you’re right. I visually checked before and thought they looked to tight but just tested and they do fit

Enjoying some afternoon brews so probably will wait til tomorrow to bust out the soldering iron in a sober state :LOL:

Beverages last night gave me the liquid courage to walk to the Home Depot next door and get an iron

Successfully soldered on the pickup cover I got from Philadelphia luthiery to the pickup (although that said, I should still probably wax pot it before install right?)

But then I almost burned my apartment down (unrelated to soldering) because I moved my air fryer over on top of the stove and accidentally turned it on while doing so. Melted out the bottom :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:LOL:
895D83EF-AFAA-4761-A05E-D3041BC11F4E.jpeg

I have never wax potted a pickup, usually I just put the cover on and go. You could if you want use a hair dryer or something to warm it up and let the wax flow a bit but honestly I wouldn't bother.

Assuming you got a nickel cover, are you going to swap the screws too?

I have never wax potted a pickup, usually I just put the cover on and go. You could if you want use a hair dryer or something to warm it up and let the wax flow a bit but honestly I wouldn't bother.

Assuming you got a nickel cover, are you going to swap the screws too?

Good to know, I was kind of thinking just doing a full send without potting and then if I do end up with excessive noise issue worrying about doing that later and embracing additional practice

Nothing on the screws, SD doesn’t offer a covered version of the Scourge but I didn’t want to lose the aesthetic and I just prefer the covered look anyway

S2 pickups need changing together with the loom . USA PRS pickups aren’t great either so it’s an opportunity to put something good in.
I put Throbak 101s in mine and it made a huge difference.
The S2's now have American pickups, which is cool. I gotta say, I generally don't like PRS pickups, BUT the 85/15 is awesome. Definitely my jam.

Back