NGD: 2023 McCarty 594

Congratulations! Those 594 are sexy.

The double cut 594 is the only PRS that triggered my attention so far.
I've considered buying one when they came out but they where difficult to find here in Italy at time and I ended up buying a custom shop Les Paul.
I remember this demo made me really horny, I really wanted a sunburst one.

I still think I should have one, though and maybe one day I'll go hunting again.

Last edited:
Also, when I went to pay for it, I was bracing myself and getting ready to pay the full new price, which is pretty insane here in Canada (+13% tax, ouch…). Then the awesome kid working in the shop said he could sell it at the much lower price from before the recent increases, from when the shop actually got the guitar.

This amounted to a reduction of almost 25% of what I was expecting to pay, which is a pretty big chunk. And he did this without me even asking.

Super sweet way to close the deal!

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

Last edited:
Also, when I went to pay for it, I was bracing myself and getting ready to pay the full new price, which is pretty insane here in Canada (+13% tax, ouch…). Then the awesome kid working in the shop said he could sell it at the much lower price from before the recent increases, from when the shop actually got the guitar.

This amounted to a reduction of almost 25% of what I was expecting to pay, which is a pretty big chunk. And he did this without me even asking.

Super sweet way to close the deal!

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny
That is AWESOME! A similar thing happened to me when I bought my Private Stock (different vendor)!! I was telling dude I was reluctant because I really could not afford it, which was 100% true (but I really had to have it - ha ha). He knocked off $2k and that closed the deal!!!

I did the same thing a few years ago. CU24 -> 594 -> DGT in two months. I've just now decided which ones to sell.

So what are you keeping?

I tried a DGT there and liked it, great pickups, but I am not a trem guy and just didn’t click with it like the CU22 or this goldtop (even though part of me liked the looks of the DGT more, black with moons).

And a CU24 felt quite strange to me, with the super long neck and big locking tuners that stuck out forward.

Last edited:
That is a great

So what are you keeping?

I tried a DGT there and liked it, great pickups, but I am not a trem guy and just didn’t click with it like this goldtop (even though part of me liked the looks of the DGT more, black with moons).

And a CU24 felt quite strange to me, with the super long neck and big locking tuners that stuck out.

Yeah, I'm keeping the DGT. I originally found the pickups to be a little bit strident, but I got used to them over time. For me, it's all about the neck shape. Both my DGT and the 594 have rosewood necks, too, which I really like. I think I'd keep the CU24 in addition to the DGT if it had a different neck, but I just can't get used to the string spacing. I have zero complaints about the 594. It's just a slight preference for the slimmer DGT neck taper.

So I’ve raised the pickups a bit, and raised/lowered some of the pole pieces. Man, it is dialed in nicely now!

I’m actually quite impressed with the split coil tones, too. Much better and more usable than I thought.

I can get a decent quack going in the middle position with both split and the neck pickup volume dropped a bit. The neck split on its own is pretty cool and usable, too.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks guys! It really is an exceptional guitar, wow. Just instantly feels like home and feels/sounds amazing. So resonant it's ridiculous. I'm actually blown away at the sustain and overtones, as well as just general playability. It's crazy good.

Yes this sounds like typical honeymoon gushing, but I can honestly say it is the best guitar I've owned in almost ten years. The last one at this level was my R9, which I still have and has been my #1 ever since.
For me, with guitars, there really isn’t a honeymoon phase.
I know right away if it’s coming with me or belongs in someone else’s hands.
You checked all the boxes, that’s a keeper man.
I’m also a gold top enthusiast.
Good for you dude!!

I finally got to take this guitar to a band practice last night!

Amp was my Electra Dyne (surprise) and Trad 4x12. Analog drives and phase/vibe + wah in front, Stomp in the loop for delays, clean boost, noise gate + chorus/flanger.

I had a great time with it and overall things went very well. Fantastic crunch and lead tones. Lots of clarity but also considerable size/3D-factor to the sound. Great, usable single coil sounds on both the neck and bridge, as well (with a bit of help from my JHS Prestige). But the core humbucker rock sounds were amazing, which is my home base.

The low-wind pickups are very different for me, especially compared to the BK Black Dogs I've used in my LP for past eight years, so that is taking some getting used to. In some ways they are quite P90-like. They absolutely smoke with my MXR CBMOD (SD1 with EQ options), however the base, un-boosted crunch sound is pretty twangy and cleaner than I'm used to. I didn't try adjusting the Electra Dyne Volume/gain yet, as the practice was rolling along, working on new songs, and I didn't want to tweak beyond adjusting the Bass, Treble, and Presence a bit. I normally have the Volume/gain at 2 o'clock with my LP, so bumping it up to 3 o'clock will probably do the trick.

Comfort-wise, it was a definite winner. Such a comfy guitar and amazing neck to play and hangs in a way similar to my LP when standing up, so it didn't feel weird and was an instant fit.

Looking forward to next week's practice with it and a gig in a couple of weeks! :rawk

Just loving this guitar more and more! Had another great band practice with it last night.

Have found the low output 58/15s go really well with my JHS Prestige pedal (both humbucking and split), just gives them a little nudge into full-on rock territory. Still retains the amazing clarity, though.

Ok, had my first gig with the 594, this past weekend. Played it all night and didn't bring a second guitar.

It was amazing! Loved it and it's now my new #1. :rawk

(Which is pretty wild because the R9 has been my top guitar for over 8 years now. It seemed like nothing could ever replace it.)

Hey, just updating that I had some Bare Knuckle Black Dogs put in this 594 and the wiring switched to 50s. Huge improvement! Took an already-great guitar to the next level and made it crazy great, for me. The BKs bring the rawk and the 50s wiring matches it more with how I get sounds and use my R9.

The BKs were also a big improvement on the split coil sounds, wasn't expecting that.

IMG_5318.jpeg

Last edited:
Back