NGD: PRS SE McCarty 594 Singlecut

TheTrueZoltan!

Shredder
Incoming!

PRS SE McCarty 594 Singlecut

I watched @KyleBull ’s video yesterday, really liked what I saw and drove to the store this afternoon to check it out. Easily one of the most resonant guitars I‘ve ever tried. I compared it to some other singlecuts in its price range (LTD Eclipse 1000T, Epiphone LP Standard & Modern) and it was a difference like night and day. The Epis and LTD sounded ridiculously lifeless and flat compared to the PRS. I thought the shorter scale length would bother me, bit surprisingly that wasn‘t the case at all.

It will of course get the usual EMG treatment (and locking tuners) as soon as it is delivered. ;-)

IMG_0673.jpeg

Last edited:
Most excellent

I'll always be a les paul lover, but there's something so perfect about the 594s. between the neck profile and asymmetry and the shorter scale length it just plays like bacon grease :love

Most excellent

I'll always be a les paul lover, but there's something so perfect about the 594s. between the neck profile and asymmetry and the shorter scale length it just plays like bacon grease :love
The scale length actually surprised me. I'm usually more of a Super Strat 25.5" guy and am already skeptical of the usual 24.75" LP scale length. That's why I assumed that an even shorter scale length would be an exclusion criterion for me. But far from it! The guitar felt and sounded really great.

The guitar was reduced from 1219 to 749 Euro. So basically I'll get all the modifications I have planned (EMG 81 & 66 Chrome, Gotoh SD90 Locking Tuners, Graph Tech Nut, PLEK Setup) for free. :banana

That's is SWEET!! I played one in GC earlier this week. I was down the road for work and have been wanting to take a look at the SE DGT, so I dropped in but no one around here has any in stock and I saw a 594 that looked nice.

It was a nice guitar and sounded great through the AC10 I was playing through, but I just didn't like the neck. Not sure if it was width, thickness, and/or scale or what, just didn't dig it. I'm sure I could get use to it, if I had to:rofl

The guitar has arrived this afternoon and it's FAN-TAS-TIC-O!

Does it have the same build quality as my PRS S2 Custom 22? No (found a sharp fret edge that I'll have to file down and there are some minor cosmetic irregularities shining through the finish) but damn, the S2 costs 2,5 times as much! Acoustically this is by far the loudest, most resonant guitar I own - when strumming some simple chords unamplified it seems nearly twice as loud as my S2.

My wife doesn‘t like the guitar, though („Yuck, it‘s ugly, too colorful!“). :ROFLMAO:

Change of plans: I just ordered a set of DiMarzio D-Activators PRS \m/ Treble instead of EMGs.

IMG_0675.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha, I looked at PRS and DiMarzio wiring diagrams and suddenly felt too stupid to do the replacement myself without the help of a luthier. Since this all seemed too complicated for me, I canceled the DiMarzios and ordered a PRS \m/ bridge pickup instead. If all goes well and I like it, I will also order the neck version. Graph Tech Nut and Gotoh Locking Tuners have been ordered, tomorrow I will make an appointment for the PLEK service. This thing will slay.

The nut is graphite anyway don’t change it. I have done this a bunch of times and there is nothing wrong with the one on.
AFAIK S2 and Core models come with graphite nuts, SEs don‘t.

Edit: I was wrong, see post #25.

Last edited:
Back