NGD: PRS DGT SE gold top

AlbertA

Groupie
I got lucky while browsing Sweetwater and saw they were in the middle of posting a demo version of the PRS DGT SE model (sales rep before told me new ones are backordered until sometime Q1 next year).

Originally they didn’t have any photos, only a description about why the guitar was a demo with about a $80 dollar discount . I hesitated when I had it in my cart and disappeared in a matter of minutes - I thought someone else had snagged it.

But 15-20 minutes later it was back with full pictures and the picture of a small scuff on the upper horn side - nothing that worried me at all- the rest looked just like new. So snagged it right away.

They guitar arrived a couple of days later on a Sunday.

It seemed Sweetwater had restrung it with 9’s - it felt like - and the neck relief was a bit too much for my taste.

The neck was surprisingly chunky but I like it. The fretwork seems good- fretwork seems good though lacked that mirror finish polish.

The strings were binding at the nut - with the usual “piiiiing” sound when operating the tremolo or bending.

I lowered the neck relief with the strings it came with so I could check if the fretwork was any good. I got the action at the 6 string 12th fret to around 1.8mm area with only a slight buzz spot in the b string at the 12 fret.

I ordered a graphtech nut replacement (PT-6643-00 is direct fit) just needed to sand the bottom and adjust height.

While I was at it I ordered the PRS SE locking tuners as well.

I installed the new nut and tuners and I polished the frets with #0000 steel wool and installed the usual set of guitar strings I use ( Ernie ball regular slinky 10-46).

I made some truss rod adjustments over some days while letting the he neck settle, some small height adjustments in the saddles and intonation.

It plays great now, no pings at the nut and stable tuning.

The bridge pickup sounds great with JCM800, Plexi amp sims in the Axe-Fx III.

Here's a brief demo:

IMG_2093.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

CTIE89980-angle-xlarge.jpg
CTIE89980-front-xlarge.jpg
CTIE89980-detail2-xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
Back