PRS SE McCarty 594. How much marital trouble is it worth?

Honesty is the best Policy in a relationship. How would you feel if she were buying sh*t behind your back?

Honesty is the best Policy in a relationship. How would you feel if she were buying sh*t behind your back?
The best policy I instituted was a little more trust. I stopped asking what was in the daily Amazon boxes arriving and unless I seem like I'm off my meds; or there is an enormous change afoot either in my music gear situation or my "hey, maybe we don't go out to that restaurant" or something, she doesn't worry about the financial aspect of the music gear. A PRS SE is right on the cusp of cost that I'd wanna make sure I give her a heads up on.

Don't be so grim. This is not serious, just having fun joking and with casual chitchat
American Gothic Horror GIF by Barbara Pozzi

I hope I will not have to play the PRS inside the closet, though. At least until they release a Fractal FM3 that can run with batteries and headphones 😄

Last edited:

Yes.

This is a fact: studies show that couples who spend “secret money” are actually happier than couples who have to get agreement on every purchase. It goes to trust.

But I generally use this “fact” as an excuse… lol 😂

Yes.

This is a fact: studies show that couples who spend “secret money” are actually happier than couples who have to get agreement on every purchase. It goes to trust.

But I generally use this “fact” as an excuse… lol 😂
Exactly. I don't know and I really don't want to know how much she pays for her shoes or cosmetics, and she doesn't know what is the value of my gear. No problem. She is better saver than me, though 😅

“There‘s a new guitar out I’m thinking about buying but I’m on the fence about it. Just wanted to let you know so if you see a new guitar show up here in a week or so you don’t flip out.”

Easy peasy. ;)

This probably won't help, but a couple months ago I was at my local shop when a used PRS S2 McCarty 594 double cut came in. I played it for about 15 minutes and even with old strings it was almost enough for me to drag in a bunch of gear for a trade in. So much better sounding and playing than my Gibson LP Tribute.

If the SE is in the same ballpark for tone/quality, it would be a heck of a purchase. Luckily for me, I don't like any of the colors.

I would personally look at the double cut version for ergonomics/weight. Looks a little funny with the switch up top but no big deal.

I had an SE 245 several years back that was their version of a Les Paul, before the McCarty 594 models trickled down. It was a very good guitar, well built, very flamey veneer top, very good pickups/electronics for imports. The neck was a little chunky but that can be a good thing. Downsides were the frets on the SE's were a bit small for my tastes, stock tuners were not locking, and stock nut was cheap plastic. The latter two could be easily fixed though.

Talking about deformed double horns, Why so much hype about the SE DGT that has been released at the same time of this SE McCarty 594? All YouTubers, Influenzas and their mothers are on fire. I used to think that they could not come with higher words to say how much do they love the product they are reviewing, but with the SE DGT they are on chocolate steroids.

Would I make a mistake if I get the SE 594 instead of the SE DGT, aka "the best inexpensive guitar in the world that everyone was waiting for"?
View attachment 3882

You want a hard tail or a trem? That’s the biggest difference.

D

You want a hard tail or a trem? That’s the biggest difference.

D
That's right. All my guitars have trem, so I have finally pulled the trigger for the SE 595 single-cut

At the end of the day, the reality is that I will just appear home with the guitar (I cannot hide it, and that would be a ridiculous thing to do). I am not telling her in advance because surely she will say no, and that would lead to several days discussions about my efforts with Overtime Work to get extra income, I do not drink, smoke or have any other expenses, I am happy driving a cheap and old car, etc. But if I just arrive home with the guitar, she will just be upset for a while, she will complain about saving for the future, too many guitars, why I need another, I need to do more exercise and less play guitar, not enough space at the condo, etc. But after few minutes, life will continue as usual. Feels like a déjà vu 😄

Last edited:
NGD! New baby at home
:banana View attachment 4001

You were right, Sir. At the shop I had a PRS double cut on my hands, and it looks cool
Very nice, congrats! What do you think of it so far? You're one of the 1st to try one you know, that makes you a "big deal"!

Oh, and may want to twist your hanger a tad to protect your J. Custom!

Very nice, congrats! What do you think of it so far? You're one of the 1st to try one you know, that makes you a "big deal"!

Oh, and may want to twist your hanger a tad to protect your J. Custom!

So far I have been playing it only 2 or 3 hours. The tone is great. Construction and finishes are perfect. Flawless. But after four decades almost exclusively with Strats and SuperStrats, I may need some time to bond with it.

My clean and edge-of-breakup Axe-FX presets have too much bass. They need some adjustment for this guitar.

After playing a while with cleans I selected my favorite JVM410HJS preset, and it rocks! I thought: lets' play some Gary Moore! and I selected "The Loner" backing track. Wrong song choice... every two notes my hand was reaching for the whammy bar :D I had difficulties with some full bendings on the 1st string because lately I've been playing only with 9s

Then I switched to the J.Custom and I felt like at home (started to feel like some buyer's regret😅). But back again to the PRS, and I started to appreciate some of its particularities. I hope our relationship will get better

I don't know if I will get used to the two separated volume pots. I only need one! And you have to adjust both for the intermediate pickup position? I also like to reach it with my little finger for volume swells and fast adjustments. But I am not playing live anymore, so these things are not too important.

The guy at the PRS distributor shop was astonished "This is a S2!", "Same as S2", "Incredible!". I didn't had time to grab the real S2s or the other fine specimens they had hanging on the wall though

Last edited:
I had to reverse the saddle of the G string to intonate it properly, and the low E is already at the limit. Is it normal practice with this kind of bridges?

20230127_210007.jpg

Back