New Headrush pedalboard: Headrush Prime

First thoughts:

- They did a really great job with footswitch assignments.
- The looper would really benefit from the ability to have loop contents auto-load from USB storage with preset and/or scene changes. No sign of this in the manual. I hope that's something they consider for a future firmware revision.

Sort of seems underpowered considering what year we are in. If not underpowered, maybe just not as many blocks as you'd think there could be.
This is how we're seeing such a robust set of features at $1200 street. By all appearances, we're looking at half the CPU power of e.g. Helix or Quad Cortex. One CPU/ two cores, basically. (Or whatever the ARM SoC equivalent would be, since previous posts indicate this isn't a comparable SHARC architecture.) If you try to add a parallel path to your guitar path, your vocal path disappears, or vice versa.

I think some of the observations you've made about Moore's law etc., and where price/ performance should be n years after Helix or whatever, have been adversely affected by some unusual circumstances: crazy inflation, supply chain issues post-COVID, and so on. (And Moore's Law is increasingly understood to be "deprecated", anyway... At least until the next technological sea change, e.g. quantum computing or whatever it may be.)

I wonder how comprehensive the mix/split/send/return facilities are....Maybe they can add and improve over time, not sure how well the helix handled this sort of thing at 1.0, but now I think we're really spoiled on how developed and mature helix and axefx are
Excellent question. If the Loop/ Send/ Return blocks can accomodate USB audio channels, that would be really interesting. (But unlikely. Neither Helix nor QC blocks do so, and I'm not seeing anything in the Prime manual.) Otherwise, the routing is inadequate for anyone with an interest in guitar synth/ MIDI conversion.

Last edited:
Aye. Credit to @Whizzinby for this gem.

giphy.gif

Post in thread 'Rant: NDSP QC Firmware Thread'
https://thegearforum.com/threads/rant-ndsp-qc-firmware-thread.820/post-42529

*Cited work

- Everything should be cheaper.
- Nothing is better.
- People who buy all the modelers.
- Traffic and seafood.
- Hotub.

(-That time he walked unannounced into a hotub store in his bathing suit.)
That’s a good summary.

The ones that stick out to me are:
- Everything should have a stereo Fx loop or GTFO
- Nobody needs all those features of XYZ modeler
- Why do people have more than just one modeler? That’s a waste of money.
- Nothing these days is worth the extra cost over what I have in my old Tonelab SE.
- Why can’t they put a Helix in a Spider. Duh!

Back