New Headrush pedalboard: Headrush Prime

Frustrated World Cup GIF

We need to get timbuk2 out of TGP. This place might be a good change for him.

Don't believe Headrush Prime has as much DSP power as some other higher-end processors.
With an Amp, Cab, Drive, and Reverb... CPU meter is showing ~40%.
Most likely plenty for most users... but we'll see what happens with dual amps, dual cabs, and more complex configurations.
Using IRs should lower cpu usage. The cabs suck… idk if they updated them or if there’s new ones though.
Curious to see how amp clones hit the CPU... and if it's possible to run multiple amp clones simultaneously.
Seamless switching/spillover may be partly responsible for the higher CPU use.
The looper also has reserved dsp I believe. To be able to seamlessly carryover between rigs. Works great.
IMO, One area where Headrush "got it right" is File Management.
Connect via USB... and File Management is a simple matter of drag/drop.
I realize many folks are clamoring for a computer editor.
With the Easy UI and simple drag/drop File Management, I don't feel a pressing need.
Hell yes. Especially managing IRs. I greatly prefer the HR way of managing IRs than Line 6. It’s so easy if you want to rename IRs in the computer for your own preference and then have it displayed nicely in the IR block, and with quite long names also.
Early impression:
HRP is pretty decent at Marshall JCM type crunch tones
Using stock amp/cab models, latency doesn't feel objectionable.
The HR JCM and JTM is a joy to play, sounds and feels. Preferably with IRs rather than the stock cabs. Check if you perceive less latency with IR instead of stock cab.

Same applies to using a general purpose SoC - usually the choice is a cheaper unit because these are bought in lots of 1000+ so you quickly tie a lot of money into the processor alone.
I agree - however, I think the processor used in the original pedalboard (and the MX5, apparently) was long in the tooth well before the original pedalboard came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip_RK3288

In the world of ARM SoCs, a Cortex-A17 core is truly ancient and has been well superseded multiple times, whereas the ADSP chips used by the likes of Line6, Fractal, and NDSP have not really been replaced in that time (SHARC -> SHARC+ really isn't a huge step up).

Will do.

Just opening it and updating the firmware.
Connected quickly/easily via WiFi.
Touch-screen reminds me of the MPC Key 61. Likely the same technology powering Headrush Prime... as it's the same parent company.
One of the more responsive touch-screens I've used (more responsive than Montage or Kronos).

Haven't had time to try the amp cloning process.
Hopefully get to that later today... as time permits.

Don't believe Headrush Prime has as much DSP power as some other higher-end processors.
With an Amp, Cab, Drive, and Reverb... CPU meter is showing ~40%.
Most likely plenty for most users... but we'll see what happens with dual amps, dual cabs, and more complex configurations.
Curious to see how amp clones hit the CPU... and if it's possible to run multiple amp clones simultaneously.
Seamless switching/spillover may be partly responsible for the higher CPU use.

Stock amp model choices are a bit spartan compared to Helix, Ax/FM, QC.
ie: There are currently no Friedman amp models.

Build quality feels robust. No cheap external power-adapter.

IMO, One area where Headrush "got it right" is File Management.
Connect via USB... and File Management is a simple matter of drag/drop.
I realize many folks are clamoring for a computer editor.
With the Easy UI and simple drag/drop File Management, I don't feel a pressing need.

Early impression:
HRP is pretty decent at Marshall JCM type crunch tones
Using stock amp/cab models, latency doesn't feel objectionable.
Can files be transferred one unit to another unit via USB stick by any chance? This is a feature I could really use.

I agree - however, I think the processor used in the original pedalboard (and the MX5, apparently) was long in the tooth well before the original pedalboard came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip_RK3288

In the world of ARM SoCs, a Cortex-A17 core is truly ancient and has been well superseded multiple times, whereas the ADSP chips used by the likes of Line6, Fractal, and NDSP have not really been replaced in that time (SHARC -> SHARC+ really isn't a huge step up).
That's where you get into issues like having to design new hardware around a newer chip -> high R&D cost -> better to keep using some old thing that is "good enough" and have a better profit margin as those chips get cheaper and cheaper over time.

Actually Analog Devices is currently releasing some 1 GHz DSP chips which is basically double processing power than what you find on Fractal, Neural and Line6 current units. I guess we might see those in future products from these companies

Actually Analog Devices is currently releasing some 1 GHz DSP chips which is basically double processing power than what you find on Fractal, Neural and Line6 current units. I guess we might see those in future products from these companies

such things take time I think. When did exactly in development did Line 6 chose their chip? It’s interesting questions imho. The funny part where one would choose a chip, give birth to a product and then the chip is basically already “old”.

But then again, what it actually takes to do a decent amp modeling is far less than many think in terms of pure cpu power… it’s not fucking gaming…. (remind myself to go to tgp and jump on timbuck a few more times as soon as he open his mouth)

Using IRs should lower cpu usage. The cabs suck… idk if they updated them or if there’s new ones though.

The looper also has reserved dsp I believe. To be able to seamlessly carryover between rigs. Works great.

Hell yes. Especially managing IRs. I greatly prefer the HR way of managing IRs than Line 6. It’s so easy if you want to rename IRs in the computer for your own preference and then have it displayed nicely in the IR block, and with quite long names also.

The HR JCM and JTM is a joy to play, sounds and feels. Preferably with IRs rather than the stock cabs. Check if you perceive less latency with IR instead of stock cab.

I was primarily using a Bogner 4x12 v30 IR (57/421)... as I've got similar real cabs.
Haven't tried the standard cabs... (remember not liking them in the original HR)

Haven't compared latency of standard cabs vs. IRs.

Timbuck2 just made legendary status with this :rofl Mighty impressive when even you had enough of him.

We're all capable of redemption man. I choose to believe the kid will someday buy a new modeler, try it out for a few days, say to himself "you know what? i like this thing. there's absolutely nothing to whine about it online", then finally list his Vox pedalboard on Reverb.

Someday...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
But then again, what it actually takes to do a decent amp modeling is far less than many think in terms of pure cpu power… it’s not f*****g gaming
Very very true.
Everyone ignores the genius and talent behind the scenes and only look at raw MHz.

Before we forget, the most basic ass EQ takes 1% on any modern modeler, but the Four Brain can't run it with an empty preset and only on path 2.

Back