New Headrush pedalboard: Headrush Prime

Here's the manual https://cdn.inmusicbrands.com/HeadRush/prime/HeadRush Prime - User Guide - v1.0.pdf

Sort of seems underpowered considering what year we are in. If not underpowered, maybe just not as many blocks as you'd think there could be. I wonder how comprehensive the mix/split/send/return facilities are....Maybe they can add and improve over time, not sure how well the helix handled this sort of thing at 1.0, but now I think we're really spoiled on how developed and mature helix and axefx are

Am the only person that is bothered by the term "Amp cloner"? :oops: :wat :rofl

It's only going to get worse...

index.php

6961C51C-A290-4EF4-B281-C491FCA4D302.jpeg

Like the HX stomp and HXFX, its 8 years later, this thing better BURY the helix in terms of available DSP power.

DSP chips tend to be pretty longlived and usually manufacturers pick something that is not the bleeding edge best but significantly cheaper.

As far as I'm aware, none of the Headrush units use actual DSP chips - I believe they all use ARM SoC's from Rockchip.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Headrush Prime still has the same processor as the original pedalboard, or one with a minor bump in clock speed.

EDIT: I see the block limit has been raised from 11 in the OG pedalboard to 14 in the Prime, which would tend to suggest a slightly faster SoC.

Last edited:
the product himself is well done and complete etc… but the tone 😐 Sound like … an old multi effect in demos isn’t it?

As far as I'm aware, none of the Headrush units use actual DSP chips - I believe they all use ARM SoC's from Rockchip.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Headrush Prime still has the same processor as the original pedalboard, or one with a minor bump in clock speed.

EDIT: I see the block limit has been raised from 11 in the OG pedalboard to 14 in the Prime, which would tend to suggest a slightly faster SoC.
Same applies to using a general purpose SoC - usually the choice is a cheaper unit because these are bought in lots of 1000+ so you quickly tie a lot of money into the processor alone.

Report back when you do, Jim. Curious on this myself. Latency thought as well, too; please :D
Will do.

Just opening it and updating the firmware.
Connected quickly/easily via WiFi.
Touch-screen reminds me of the MPC Key 61. Likely the same technology powering Headrush Prime... as it's the same parent company.
One of the more responsive touch-screens I've used (more responsive than Montage or Kronos).

Haven't had time to try the amp cloning process.
Hopefully get to that later today... as time permits.

Don't believe Headrush Prime has as much DSP power as some other higher-end processors.
With an Amp, Cab, Drive, and Reverb... CPU meter is showing ~40%.
Most likely plenty for most users... but we'll see what happens with dual amps, dual cabs, and more complex configurations.
Curious to see how amp clones hit the CPU... and if it's possible to run multiple amp clones simultaneously.
Seamless switching/spillover may be partly responsible for the higher CPU use.

Stock amp model choices are a bit spartan compared to Helix, Ax/FM, QC.
ie: There are currently no Friedman amp models.

Build quality feels robust. No cheap external power-adapter.

IMO, One area where Headrush "got it right" is File Management.
Connect via USB... and File Management is a simple matter of drag/drop.
I realize many folks are clamoring for a computer editor.
With the Easy UI and simple drag/drop File Management, I don't feel a pressing need.

Early impression:
HRP is pretty decent at Marshall JCM type crunch tones
Using stock amp/cab models, latency doesn't feel objectionable.

Back