New Headrush pedalboard: Headrush Prime

Or the other way around.
Except that the other way around would have necessitated a complete redesign and hardware rev. And I didn’t really have much faith in Kemper to deliver to a UI or feature set that would work for me, personally. Helix had already delivered on those fronts and just needed a new “effect” block that could load a capture file format - either a new one, or Kemper’s per some kind of licensing agreement.

A pretty good template for the solution I was looking for can be seen in QC: same (some say stolen) UI and feature set, with an additional capture block that can be applied several times per preset. (So no surprise I bought a QC lol.)

My initial impression is this is not a new product but rather capture software that will have a player capable of loading in Headrush devices.

I think so too.

Kempers patent is valid until Sept 2040, so no hardware capturing is allowed, but nothing is said about hardware capture players only which is what I think we will see more of.

Quad Cortex?

QC is "A neural network is trained to digitally model a reference audio system" which is totally different than Kemper's "method for adapting a sound converter to a reference sound converter"

"Totally Different"
:farley

Neural DSP patent is also valid until 2041.

BTW, if hardware capture players become table stakes in the modelers world, this will be good for everyone.
Next is captures+component hybrid models which will be faster to make but not nescessarily more accurate than the full component model, sort of like what NDSP are doing now with their latest plugins.

Basically the Preamp can be a capture and the ToneStack, Poweramp and Power Supply can be component based.
This will reap the fruits from both worlds.

What's odd is that Mooer already did this. But they either did it badly, people were put off because they assumed they were stealing the code, or a combination of both. The Mooer didn't seem to make any splash at all at the time?
I think their worst decision was to only support IOS devices with their Mooer GE labs app that creates/plays the "profiles", many people like me refuse to buy any Apple products and also much prefer using a computer rather than a phone or pad. If they would have created a windows app for profiling and a VST player then im sure it would at least have a bigger impact, currently you can only play the profiles on an IOS device or most of the Mooer GE modelers. Now much later when Tonex is out im not sure they can cut into that market anymore if they would release the windows app.

BTW, if hardware capture players become table stakes in the modelers world, this will be good for everyone.
Next is captures+component hybrid models which will be faster to make but not nescessarily more accurate than the full component model, sort of like what NDSP are doing now with their latest plugins.

Basically the Preamp can be a capture and the ToneStack, Poweramp and Power Supply can be component based.
This will reap the fruits from both worlds.
Yeah, to be able to capture the amp and then be able to put in the same possibilities of control like on component base modeling (like the real amp) seems ideal.

IMO Kemper's best response would be to release a new generation of hardware with significantly improved UI, more effects, more power, more flexibility, etc. If they could run dual profiles that may be a huge draw for some people.

They would need to make it backwards compatible for old profiles because the pre-existing library is such a big draw, but an updated/improved capture method would be smart as well.

I just don't know that they would be willing to compete in that space though, I think their time may be over honestly.
But you have other issues now
The world wanting a more compact design like a QC and worse still the price point that IK is playing in ,
I don’t know if Kemper can get sub 1k but that’s where they have to go to make it interesting
A smaller more compact unit , priced 899 w the effects might keep them in the game
Releasing 2.0 toaster with slightly better profiling than a 300 ToneX I don’t think is going to do it

From the looks the Headrush will run dual captures. :)
If it is in fact a software and MX5 and Gigboard can run captures that will make it interesting depending on the quality of the captures
Frankly I think the HR has a better interface that QC and a way more responsive touchscreen , if they can match or better the QC capture tech sitting in their current price point QC is going to have more trouble this year

QC is "A neural network is trained to digitally model a reference audio system" which is totally different than Kemper's "method for adapting a sound converter to a reference sound converter"

"Totally Different"
:farley

Neural DSP patent is also valid until 2041.

I'm well aware that the method NDSP uses to capture amps than Kemper, and so isn't in breach of the Kemper patent.

My point is that that you said this:

Kempers patent is valid until Sept 2040, so no hardware capturing is allowed

Given that the QC is a piece of hardware that captures amps, I'm wondering what the distinction is?

But you have other issues now
The world wanting a more compact design like a QC and worse still the price point that IK is playing in ,
I don’t know if Kemper can get sub 1k but that’s where they have to go to make it interesting
A smaller more compact unit , priced 899 w the effects might keep them in the game
Releasing 2.0 toaster with slightly better profiling than a 300 ToneX I don’t think is going to do it
I still think we’re letting the price of the ToneX pedal confuse a lot of these discussions. Remember that it isn’t a full multieffects solution. If Kemper chose to, they could very possibly compete with a new product in the price range of Helix Floor, QC, etc. - or even well below.

Your points about the sudden viability of the Headrush line are well-taken, though.

Agreed, but please don’t call them “Snapshots”. Bad enough IK called them “models”.

Lawsuit-dodging terminology for “profile” is the new ugly headstock.
Do you have another brand neutral descriptive to recommend?

I'm well aware that the method NDSP uses to capture amps than Kemper, and so isn't in breach of the Kemper patent.

My point is that that you said this:

Given that the QC is a piece of hardware that captures amps, I'm wondering what the distinction is?
I think he’s making the distinction because on-unit CPUs are generally not powerful enough to do a neural ML capture in less than a week. ;)

Do you have another brand neutral descriptive to recommend?
Anything, so long as it isn’t already being used by another brand (or the entire industry) to mean something else entirely.

Profile was first. Capture was fine. In a perfect world, call a lawyer truce and just keep using these terms, with the understanding that some mfr’s profile/ capture solutions will be better than others.

Anything, so long as it isn’t already being used by another brand (or the entire industry) to mean something else entirely.

Profile was first. Capture was fine. In a perfect world, call a lawyer truce and just keep using these terms, with the understanding that some mfr’s profile/ capture solutions will be better than others.
Snapshot™

Snapshot™
Line 6 would like a word? (This is their term for “Scene”.)

Just give it a name that reflects what it really is (e.g. neural network data or whatever’s actually in the file; apply acronym as needed) and cut the legs out from under the lawyers.

Back