New Headrush pedalboard: Headrush Prime

I think you guys prioritize device size way higher than I do. I could not care less about the size of the modeler. In fact, if it has 1000 buttons, I'm all in. Line the walls with buttons. For me it's all about sounds and user experience, and the UI is number 1 for me. I got rid of my Kemper a long time ago based on the UI alone but loved the sounds.
Different strokes. I understand all that. Personally I need small, even though I’m only a homeplayer. Yeah… sounds weird that I cant find a spot and place a LT or HR board there and be done. I have a big house… two floors, three with the basement. Still…. I want small. I want to move it around. To the floor, to a table, downstairs, out on the porch and I want to do it more than a actually play guitar :rofl Not joking… and I have a serious problem with having large stuff…my brain doesn’t want it. It wants small things… I’m weird. A homeplayer should by man cave standards take the freaking space to do whatever…

Yeeez… I am now starting to question my manhood also… wtf…

Im lost.

Measured latency of the Headrush Prime (using an Impulse response).
Audio interface was loop-back tested before... to make sure the recording process wasn't adding/subtracting samples (latency).

Rig with just Amp/Cab models is 5ms
View attachment 5782

Rig with EQ>Drive>Amp/Cab models is also 5ms (a couple additional samples vs just the Amp/Cab)
View attachment 5783

Rig with Amp Clone is 14ms (see below for clarification)
View attachment 5784

Rig with Pedal Clone > Amp Clone is 26ms (see below for clarification)
View attachment 5785

Side by side look
View attachment 5786

I created the Amp Clone using one of my favorite Helix BE-100 patches.
This was done to keep things quick/easy.
Helix's round-trip latency is ~2ms.
The Pedal Clone was done using a real Tube Screamer.

Don't know about anyone else, but 12-14ms is too much for my liking.
When running a pair of Clones (Pedal/Amp) in series, 26ms (for me) makes it unusable.

The Cab "model" was the CT 4x12 Bogie V30 IR
Holy mother of pain!

Measured latency of the Headrush Prime (using an Impulse response).
Audio interface was loop-back tested before... to make sure the recording process wasn't adding/subtracting samples (latency).

Rig with just Amp/Cab models is 5ms
View attachment 5782

Rig with EQ>Drive>Amp/Cab models is also 5ms (a couple additional samples vs just the Amp/Cab)
View attachment 5783

Rig with Amp Clone is 14ms (see below for clarification)
View attachment 5784

Rig with Pedal Clone > Amp Clone is 26ms (see below for clarification)
View attachment 5785

Side by side look
View attachment 5786

I created the Amp Clone using one of my favorite Helix BE-100 patches.
This was done to keep things quick/easy.
Helix's round-trip latency is ~2ms.
The Pedal Clone was done using a real Tube Screamer.

Don't know about anyone else, but 12-14ms is too much for my liking.
When running a pair of Clones (Pedal/Amp) in series, 26ms (for me) makes it unusable.

The Cab "model" was the CT 4x12 Bogie V30 IR

Fuck me sideways! That makes the cloning feature utterly unusable. I can't recall my dick going
this limp this fast over a piece of gear in recent memory. Put your clothes back on Prime! :LOL:

Different strokes. I understand all that. Personally I need small, even though I’m only a homeplayer. Yeah… sounds weird that I cant find a spot and place a LT or HR board there and be done. I have a big house… two floors, three with the basement. Still…. I want small. I want to move it around. To the floor, to a table, downstairs, out on the porch and I want to do it more than a actually play guitar :rofl Not joking… and I have a serious problem with having large stuff…my brain doesn’t want it. It wants small things… I’m weird. A homeplayer should by man cave standards take the freaking space to do whatever…

Yeeez… I am now starting to question my manhood also… wtf…

Im lost.
different strokes for sure. I have a problem with multi function buttoning. I'm mental that way. I want a button for everything which basically means having a unit and then having adjoining midi controllers. I want to be able to shut off or tailor each effect by being able to hit one dedicated switch. in a perfect world, 5 buttons for top five patches, 10 buttons for each independent effect...... wah, volume, gain and delay intensity all on volume pedals. Finally at least 10 more buttons to flip settings live on each effect. example. chorus a to chorus b to chorus c. deep reverb to cabinet reverb.....I also have a problem. with all of these ideas in my head, there is no way I could ever keep track of it with minimal buttons.

Last edited:
My "concern" in this particular case would be that it sounds like the amp clone functionality is just repackaged Revalver and, anecdotally, it does seem that Headrush have a penchant for simply adding to repackaged software rather than reengineering it to make it "better".
Revalver's amp clone tech was pretty good, and MUCH better in the later stuff post Peavey when it became AMR. It got many tones a lot closer than Kemper could with much less noise and if I remember right, had 7 samples of latency, so definitely not what the problem is here

Revalver's amp clone tech was pretty good, and MUCH better in the later stuff post Peavey when it became AMR. It got many tones a lot closer than Kemper could with much less noise and if I remember right, had 7 samples of latency, so definitely not what the problem is here
But not on a relatively low-end ARM chip, which is what the HRP is likely using...

You still have it, @Jim Roseberry ? Any updates? :idk

The other guitarist in the band I play in informed me via text this week that he ordered one.
He's been a long time Helix user. Should be interesting watching him weigh this all out.
Hopefully practice this week doesn't turn into him hunched over doing the eternal tweaker pose. :LOL:

Oh man, he's one of my besties. I am so not wet blanketing him. I'll let the Prime do that for him. :banana

:rofl

I have not mentioned anything remotely negative about it. Just a supportive friend. He's already
said, "If it's a turd I'll just send it back."

I know one thing. It's FOOKING HUGE!!

You still have it, @Jim Roseberry ? Any updates? :idk

The other guitarist in the band I play in informed me via text this week that he ordered one.
He's been a long time Helix user. Should be interesting watching him weigh this all out.
Hopefully practice this week doesn't turn into him hunched over doing the eternal tweaker pose. :LOL:

I have it packed up ready to ship back.
I certainly like things about the Headrush Prime.
Latency is just a killer (for me).
Was hoping a firmware update might address the higher latency... but it's still at v3.1.
I suspect the higher latency is to mitigate CPU load.

As a point of reference, my 13900k DAW can run ToneX at 96k using a 16-sample ASIO buffer size.
That's ~0.5ms total round-trip latency.
Even quadruple that... and you're at a whopping 2ms.
For me, it doesn't make sense to invest in dedicated hardware that's a significant step backward.

If Headrush Prime could run Models and Clones at 3ms round-trip latency, it would be an absolute no-brainer.
The JCM, Bassman, and Ecstasy models are all very good.
That version of Headrush would be worth upwards of $2k.

Oh man, he's one of my besties. I am so not wet blanketing him. I'll let the Prime do that for him. :banana

:rofl

I have not mentioned anything remotely negative about it. Just a supportive friend. He's already
said, "If it's a turd I'll just send it back."

I know one thing. It's FOOKING HUGE!!
Bored Cabin Fever GIF

I have it packed up ready to ship back.
I certainly like things about the Headrush Prime.
Latency is just a killer (for me).
Was hoping a firmware update might address the higher latency... but it's still at v3.1.
I suspect the higher latency is to mitigate CPU load.

As a point of reference, my 13900k DAW can run ToneX at 96k using a 16-sample ASIO buffer size.
That's ~0.5ms total round-trip latency.
Even quadruple that... and you're at a whopping 2ms.
For me, it doesn't make sense to invest in dedicated hardware that's a significant step backward.

If Headrush Prime could run Models and Clones at 3ms round-trip latency, it would be an absolute no-brainer.
The JCM, Bassman, and Ecstasy models are all very good.
That version of Headrush would be worth upwards of $2k.

Thanks, Jim. That latency is a dealbreaker for sure. :(

I heard it last night. Sounded pretty good out of the box. :idk

We'll see if he keeps it. He seemed really happy with it and felt like the
responsiveness of the Prime, and things like sensitivity to pick pressure and attack,
clean up via volume on the guitar were better than on his Helix.

Lack of an online editor seems like a serious omission too. Or at least an app. Pretty
cumbersome to have to edit everything from the floor.

Thanks @la szum - if they get an app or control via tablet, I might try one. Could live without captures so latency not as big of an issue with me.

Back