Modelers Losing Their Luster

Are you tired of 1000s of models?
Nope Variety is the spice of life and you never know when one model or another will come in handy
Downsizing to something smaller/simpler?
Fm9 and 2 Powercabs is alls I need
Going back to amps?
Never: 1) no need , 2) way too expensive
Purging all modelers?
Only have a Fm9 so def not purging
Was it just GAS that passed?
No, was what i needed for my goals that i want to achieve
You've grown to hate modelers?
Quite the Opposite
Ain't nobody got time for that?
Def have all the time I need to enjoy my FM9
How's your back?
Perfectly fine

:beer

@the swede also, curious, what's your current guitar gear. If you still have the HXS, I can't wait to hear what post-rock stuff you can do with the new reverbs (bloom and non-linear), and the feedbacker too.
Current gear is basically nothing. Yeah. Stomp had to go. As much as I love it and appreciate it, this time the purge was all about resetting myself. Haven’t touched gear or guitar in a few months and still don’t plan to. It’s all a big part of my mental reset. I had a musical/mental breakdown and had to let go of the gear physically to cure myself mentally. Can’t have things like Stomp or PG lying around if my “disorder” and personality issues makes me not use them in a sane and healthy way, enjoying music and being creative.

It isn’t the stomp… or any gear… it’s just me. It could be great… but it’s just me.

But my guitar, the only and most important part, is still here and ready for whenever i start my jurney back into it. :)

Don’t even now about the latest updates and new products because i cleared everything so nothing shows up in my YT or Instagram. And that’s how i want it for now. Came in here lurking just now, and notice a lot happens in a few months, including the news and updates. Can happily point out that for the first time in many years, I don’t actually care and this is also a big part of the mental reset process.

So that’s that. I’ll drop in now and than. Thanks buddy :)

Current gear is basically nothing. Yeah. Stomp had to go. As much as I love it and appreciate it, this time the purge was all about resetting myself. Haven’t touched gear or guitar in a few months and still don’t plan to. It’s all a big part of my mental reset. I had a musical/mental breakdown and had to let go of the gear physically to cure myself mentally. Can’t have things like Stomp or PG lying around if my “disorder” and personality issues makes me not use them in a sane and healthy way, enjoying music and being creative.

It isn’t the stomp… or any gear… it’s just me. It could be great… but it’s just me.

But my guitar, the only and most important part, is still here and ready for whenever i start my jurney back into it. :)

Don’t even now about the latest updates and new products because i cleared everything so nothing shows up in my YT or Instagram. And that’s how i want it for now. Came in here lurking just now, and notice a lot happens in a few months, including the news and updates. Can happily point out that for the first time in many years, I don’t actually care and this is also a big part of the mental reset process.

Much love to you Swede \m/

I love this! Power to you!

I’m not tired of modelers because I find them a great tool for some of my needs. As long they fill that they’ll never be tired for me. Now if I was only limited to modelers then I wouldn’t call it tired but unfulfilling yes.

I think I'm on the opposite end of this argument. I bought my dream amp the other day (Mesa Dual Rec Multi-Watt) just to cross it off my bucket list but I've already found that it's largely impractical compared to my Fractal units and doesn't really sound any better despite being the real thing.

doesn't really sound any better despite being the real thing.

The value (what's left of it) of tube amps is not necessarily in sound.

* The experiene.
* Being limited to one or few sounds.
* Requires effort, experience, space, and more money to record the old fashioned way with decent results.
* My/Your guitar heroes used it and had the same limitations.

Overall it's the experience, the journey, more than anything that justifies owning tube amps for me.
---

P.S
There's a whole generation who never played through a real tube amp and/or guitar cab, nor do they have any desire to, for them losing luster for modelers means losing luster for electric guitar entirely.

Are you tired of 1000s of models?
Downsizing to something smaller/simpler?
Going back to amps?

Overall it's the experience, the journey, more than anything that justifies owning tube amps for me.

I go back and forth between modelers and amps, love them both.

I am going to something "simpler" pretty soon, a 1x12 combo that only plays clean but has tons of headroom. It's good for me to leave the dirt and effects behind for a while and just concentrate on my playing. A tube amp can be great for that.

But I'll always go back to the modeler eventually just to have some variety and play something other than traditional Jazz or R&B.

I don't use tons of amp models. I have five set up on my FM9, two clean (one traditional high end rolled off Jazz tone, the other a vintage Super Reverb clean tone for Funk/R&B) and three for overdrive, crunch, and high gain. I go exploring every now and then just for fun and every once in a while I find an amp model that I really like and substitute it for one of my gain amp blocks but the cleans remain the same.

But for the discipline of it all I like to play clean through a tube amp with no effects other than reverb quite a bit, and the right tube amp can be a joy in that role.

Last edited:

* The experiene.
* Requires effort, experience, space, and more money to record the old fashioned way with decent results.

---

P.S
There's a whole generation who never played through a real tube amp and/or guitar cab, nor do they have any desire to, for them losing luster for modelers means losing luster for electric guitar entirely.

Yeah this is my first tube amp after playing modelers and plugins for the last 20 years or so. Definitely gives me a new perspective on both guitar playing and recording. The experience is absolutely worth the price alone. Went tube shopping last week and completely re-tubed the thing. I felt like I was working on a classic car or something. It was a cool feeling having that sort of connection to a piece of machinery. Reminds me of that old rifleman quote "There are many like it but this one is mine."

I'm still hoping that SOMETHING is gonna come around one day and make tube amps, modelers and modern solid state designs obsolete. Something fully analog that doesn't even try to emulate tube amp designs and somehow sounds better in all scenarios. Yes, that's a tall (if not delusional) order but a boy can dream. I've seen some articles about graphene possibly being used for some sort of guitar amp advancements but until something actually makes it to market, it's a pipe dream at best. But I wanna see something truly revolutionary that leaves behind the days of JCM 800's and mandatory Vintage 30s in every cabinet. I don't think any one of us can predict what that will be but I hope I get to see something like it in my lifetime.

* The experiene.

To me the real guitar cabs are like 90% of the experience these days. If I plug a tube amp into a reactive loadbox and use cab sims, I could just use the modeler and skip the real amp inconveniences.

I do have some cognitive dissonance where I start thinking "should I buy another tube amp in case I'm missing something?" because it's hard to reconcile that an ugly little box like my BluGuitar can sound as good as the Bogner I had. Even though I verified through the same cab and matching volumes via decibel meter that yes, it did actually sound/feel just as good. Same applies to my Fractal.

To me the real guitar cabs are like 90% of the experience these days. If I plug a tube amp into a reactive loadbox and use cab sims, I could just use the modeler and skip the real amp inconveniences.

I do have some cognitive dissonance where I start thinking "should I buy another tube amp in case I'm missing something?" because it's hard to reconcile that an ugly little box like my BluGuitar can sound as good as the Bogner I had. Even though I verified through the same cab and matching volumes via decibel meter that yes, it did actually sound/feel just as good. Same applies to my Fractal.
this also goes the other way...at least for me.
Any modeller i have whether UAFX amp pedals, Tonex, Ax8 or any plug in routed out of the box are way more fun into power amp and guitar cab.
Even better into that as well as Ox Box into full range for w/d/w

After years and years of using multi effects, then modelers... Because I don't gig anymore, I went the software route and sold all my hardware. I am loving my less cluttered space now! I have a midi pedal and a "FRFR" cab for just in case I play out.

I seem to have the most fun when I'm playing through a real amp to be honest. At least that is the phase I'm in right now.

Back