Purging all my gear and getting an Axe FX 3

Jarick

Shredder
This morning I decided that I'm going to purge all my gear and simplify down to just using an Axe FX 3.

I've found that the more options I have, the more time I spend comparing them, and the less time I spend playing. I've also found that gear seems to invite more gear, and a lot of the stuff I bought to "simplify" my setup resulted in making things way more complicated (such as running multiple modelers on a board with other pedals). When I only used modelers, I didn't really have the option to add those extra pieces in, so it was like a GAS buffer.

I thought about what my "dream rig" would be, and it's basically an Axe FX 3 into a quality stereo power amp and a pair of 1x12 cabs with an FC-12 controller and EV-1. I already have the FC-12 controller, so getting the AF3 gets me most of the way there.

So I found a good deal on a used Axe FX 3 and pulled the trigger this morning, and I'll be boxing up and listing my HX Stomp XL, Fractal FM3, Iridium, Simplifier, all the pedals I picked up, even the neat expandable pedal board and power supply I recently got. I'll probably pick up an EV-1 expression pedal once some of the gear funds get back up.

A few other reasons to make the switch...the Axe FX 3 gets more development love and seems a lot more future proof than the FM3. Obviously it's got loads more DSP and while I don't max out my FM3 much, I can do things like run higher quality reverbs and dual amps/cabs. Having multiple outputs will let me run out to my audio interface, powered amp/cab(s), and headphones simultaneously. Thought about the FM9, but in my new space I like keeping the gear up where I can tweak it as I primarily just use the onboard interface. Plus the FC-12 is more rugged with kids and pets running around.

Setup for now will look something like this:

Axe FX III + FC-12
-> MOTU M4 -> Genelec 8020 monitors for stereo "FRFR"
-> Line 6 Catalyst 60 (w/ Celestion V-Type) for powered cab
-> Sennheiser HD6xx for headphone monitoring

Probably not the true definition of minimalism, but a hell of a lot simpler than my current situation...

This morning I decided that I'm going to purge all my gear and simplify down to just using an Axe FX 3.

I've found that the more options I have, the more time I spend comparing them, and the less time I spend playing. I've also found that gear seems to invite more gear, and a lot of the stuff I bought to "simplify" my setup resulted in making things way more complicated (such as running multiple modelers on a board with other pedals). When I only used modelers, I didn't really have the option to add those extra pieces in, so it was like a GAS buffer.

I thought about what my "dream rig" would be, and it's basically an Axe FX 3 into a quality stereo power amp and a pair of 1x12 cabs with an FC-12 controller and EV-1. I already have the FC-12 controller, so getting the AF3 gets me most of the way there.

So I found a good deal on a used Axe FX 3 and pulled the trigger this morning, and I'll be boxing up and listing my HX Stomp XL, Fractal FM3, Iridium, Simplifier, all the pedals I picked up, even the neat expandable pedal board and power supply I recently got. I'll probably pick up an EV-1 expression pedal once some of the gear funds get back up.

A few other reasons to make the switch...the Axe FX 3 gets more development love and seems a lot more future proof than the FM3. Obviously it's got loads more DSP and while I don't max out my FM3 much, I can do things like run higher quality reverbs and dual amps/cabs. Having multiple outputs will let me run out to my audio interface, powered amp/cab(s), and headphones simultaneously. Thought about the FM9, but in my new space I like keeping the gear up where I can tweak it as I primarily just use the onboard interface. Plus the FC-12 is more rugged with kids and pets running around.

Axe FX III + FC-12

Probably not the true definition of minimalism, but a hell of a lot simpler than my current situation...
Yeah I found pairing down to one digital unit was a great decision. I'd spend all my time trying to justify playing x modeler when I hadn't played y in awhile, but a new update came out for z etc etc.

Yeah I found pairing down to one digital unit was a great decision. I'd spend all my time trying to justify playing x modeler when I hadn't played y in awhile, but a new update came out for z etc etc.

I have Helix Native and a good computer/interface so I can do all that stuff still. I actually kind of prefer the sound over the Stomp XL. And I’ve got a few neural plugins. But I don’t need the hardware anymore I think.

Axe FX III + FC-12

Going to be a kick ass rig!

Totally! I've been slacking on new pics of my space because it's so messy, but getting rid of 3/4 of my gear will help keep it clean!
This used to be my setup....now I just have the Axe Fx 3, FC12, and Friedman ASC12

I don't miss it lol

Attachments

• PXL_20220305_203516712.jpg
    PXL_20220305_203516712.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
If I could just choose one it would be the dual rec no doubt

We are kindred spirits broseph.

Did the Stealth, QC, and ENGL thing. (Though I have the Fireball) Grano is high on my “want to try but too impatient to go on a 4 month waitlist” list.

Never played a Dual Rec. Never jivved with the QC model of it, but the Badlander 20w has piqued my interest to at least give it a try.

I’m in a purge it down to the essentials mode myself, but my gawd what an epic rig to have lying around. I’m gonna pour one out for that setup.

Back