Purging all my gear and getting an Axe FX 3

It's the Plate Suppressor Diode.

And FWIW, I haven't noticed a giant difference between switching it on and off.
Depends on the amp I noticed it on the 5153 red , a lot of modern amps use them I think to filter some fizz and noise

Well Of course it is, its the next update after the last one so yeah 1 level up or next level :rofl
There will be new level. There’s always a new level even if really just the old level. It’s always more newer leveler.

Last edited:
I've rarely heard any of the differences in the firmwares. Even this time around I'm not sure how much of it is me vs the firmware vs the improved hardware. I always just assume it's me causing problems (or not in this case).

One thing that's underrated is the impact reverb has on tone. I found that when shooting out modelers a few years back. You can get a dry tone that's really close but if you add in reverbs that have different tone, even short room verbs with low mix, it changes things drastically. So it's entirely possible that running the Axe with ultra high room reverb sounds a lot better than FM3 with normal or economy.
I’ve found that reverb and even some delays change the tone in some way shape or form no matter the equipment.

I’ve found that reverb and even some delays change the tone in some way shape or form no matter the equipment.
They do change the tone, but I think it's the way our ears perceive the sound, once it has repeats added, and modulation and such. But to me, that's different than 'tone suck,' which I can tell right away.

And speaking of the Axe III, I have never heard any of the effects alter the tone in that way. I remember it was one of the first things I noticed when I started using it. :chef

Five weeks in and LOVING the Axe FX 3 still.

I have been playing the Brit 800 model about 90% of the time. It's such a great amp, especially after changing the bright cap value to 150pf to balance out the highs and lows. With the gain down to about 3-3.5 it's nice clean tone with character using humbuckers. With the gain up to about 7, it's a nice crunch tone. With single coils, gain around 5 and it sounds big and full. Add a Klon out front and you're in modern crunch territory. Super versatile and addictive to play.

For cabs, I am back to really liking the single Legacy 60 cab which is the Fractal 4x12 GB M160. I have been rolling off lows at 90 hz and highs at 8k and it seems to work really well. Sometimes I have to roll off the tone knob on the guitar or do some other minor tweaks but no big deal.

I've kept my effects fairly basic, outside of the boost pedal, using some delay, chorus, pitch detune, of course some reverb at the end. I'm not doing any crazy kitchen sink stuff as the core tones are really good and it doesn't need a lot of fuss.

Is the Brit 800 really close to a real JCM 800? Never played one. If that's the case, I could see why those amps are so popular. More refined sounding than a Plexi but breaks up in all the right places with a boost.

I have been playing the Brit 800 model about 90% of the time. It's such a great amp, especially after changing the bright cap value to 150pf to balance out the highs and lows. With the gain down to about 3-3.5 it's nice clean tone with character using humbuckers. With the gain up to about 7, it's a nice crunch tone. With single coils, gain around 5 and it sounds big and full. Add a Klon out front and you're in modern crunch territory. Super versatile and addictive to play.

For cabs, I am back to really liking the single Legacy 60 cab which is the Fractal 4x12 GB M160. I have been rolling off lows at 90 hz and highs at 8k and it seems to work really well. Sometimes I have to roll off the tone knob on the guitar or do some other minor tweaks but no big deal.

I've kept my effects fairly basic, outside of the boost pedal, using some delay, chorus, pitch detune, of course some reverb at the end. I'm not doing any crazy kitchen sink stuff as the core tones are really good and it doesn't need a lot of fuss.

Is the Brit 800 really close to a real JCM 800? Never played one. If that's the case, I could see why those amps are so popular. More refined sounding than a Plexi but breaks up in all the right places with a boost.
From my understanding, you need to crank a 800 and its pretty much not possible in normal settings unless you have an attenuator or something similar.

I have always wanted to try one though!

From my understanding, you need to crank a 800 and its pretty much not possible in normal settings unless you have an attenuator or something similar.

Yeah good point, I think I have the preamp and power amp both turned up to the point they will start breaking up if any louder.

Yep, I’ve only played an 800 maybe 4-5x and for them to do the thing everyone loves about 800’s, they gotta be cranking. It was a bit of a shock, really, it was one of the first times I experienced the “what you hear on an album is not what you hear in person” thing. They aren’t bass heavy, that’s for sure. The physical impact/pant flapping aspect came from sheer volume more than the tone itself.

I think everyone should experience a Marshall on 10 at least once in their life. My buddy who owns it runs it with a Power Brake and inevitably, the Power Brake would get turned up until it was on 10 before too long. It was one of the easier amps to put a mic in front of, though. With Mesa’s I’ve spent a good amount of time trying to find the “not so bassy” areas with a mic, the 800 w/ a V30 4x12 was practically ‘stick the mic anywhere, it’ll be alright’ unless it was dead center of a speaker.

Yep, I’ve only played an 800 maybe 4-5x and for them to do the thing everyone loves about 800’s, they gotta be cranking. It was a bit of a shock, really, it was one of the first times I experienced the “what you hear on an album is not what you hear in person” thing. They aren’t bass heavy, that’s for sure. The physical impact/pant flapping aspect came from sheer volume more than the tone itself.

I think everyone should experience a Marshall on 10 at least once in their life. My buddy who owns it runs it with a Power Brake and inevitably, the Power Brake would get turned up until it was on 10 before too long. It was one of the easier amps to put a mic in front of, though. With Mesa’s I’ve spent a good amount of time trying to find the “not so bassy” areas with a mic, the 800 w/ a V30 4x12 was practically ‘stick the mic anywhere, it’ll be alright’ unless it was dead center of a speaker.

One time I cranked a DSL 100 up to 10 running it through a matching 4x12 with T75's. Insanely loud, like being at a huge concert right near the P.A. speakers. Generally we would run the amps between 3-5 even with my stupid hard hitting when I was on drums.

Yup. It's helpful to also keep in mind that people's perception of good guitar tone
and how much "bass" was needed changed immensely post-Metallica MOP, and then
it doubled down even more with Nu Metal and 7 string guitars tuned to drop A. :idk

Bands used to want to hear the bass guitar and kick drum (or keys/synth) drive the low-end,
and not the guitarist. :LOL:

No one does the Marshalls like Fractal. No one. :beer

My main preset is named "The 800s" and I have different scenes with the
various 800 models in it (BritMod #34, Mod800 Brit800) . I love everything
about the 800s that a lot of people struggle with. All that smoothness that Friedman
dials into his amps is not what I want to hear. Even the Bogners (which are modded
Marshall circuits) can sometimes have a tad too much low-end dialed in for my tastes.

If all the Fractal had were the 800s and the Plexis I would still be happy.

Still crushes me a bit that in 2020 I had to sell my 1985 Canadian Issue 800. Fuck you, COVID! :(

nr13ijjt1xdsbts44koo.jpg

swewn3k0lelc0ug2nhqo.jpg

Still had the original RFT EL34s in it. Probably the best amp (or top 3) that I ever owned.

Need to go console myself with some Fractal 800 time. :love

Yep, I’ve only played an 800 maybe 4-5x and for them to do the thing everyone loves about 800’s, they gotta be cranking. It was a bit of a shock, really, it was one of the first times I experienced the “what you hear on an album is not what you hear in person” thing.

I've always said that the best Rock tone I've ever had was playing through my NMV Model 1959 JCM 800 Super Lead full stack. I found the head in a pawn shop in Philly and picked it up for $450 (back in 1999).

When turned up to around 2:00 the tone was absolutely glorious. I let my friend who doesn't play guitar try it out. I showed him how to play a power chord and cranked it. He played one chord and said "DAMN!!! Now I know why everyone wants to play guitar!"

I was unemployed at the time and eventually sold it to pay rent but the real reason I sold it was to save my hearing. I would start playing at moderate volumes and then slowly turn it up until it hit the sweet spot. Unfortunately, after I finished playing my ears would ring for more than an hour and I finally decided that my hearing was more important than tone. Financial necessity eventually pushed me over the edge. I eventually sold the whole rig to 30th Street Guitars in NYC for $1,200.

When I demoed it for them at the store one of the salesmen commented "It's so loud at 1 1/2! Is something wrong with it?" Matt (the owner) said "No that's how they are." He was grinning ear to ear.

I always regretted selling that amp but until I got a Power Station PS-100 could have never made full use of it and by then it was long gone.

Does the Brit 800 sound exactly the same? I actually haven't spent time with that amp block and based on what Jarick said will definitely check it out but it's hard to imagine that it does. I'm sure it comes close to its recorded tone but I don't think anything could exactly replicate what it sounds like live.

Back