Mick Mars Sues Motley Crue

I think Nikki came up with a lot of skeleton/frameworks/vocal melodies for the songs and then Mick just did his thing over that.

Maybe, but no one really knows, except them.

I find it interesting with this story that many assume Mars had a part in writing the songs/riffs because he he played so well on them.

Sixx could have easily written those riffs, too, they’re not indicative of a high level of technical guitar skill, really (as cool as they are).

Maybe, but no one really knows, except them.

I find it interesting with this story that many assume Mars had a part in writing the songs/riffs because he he played so well on them.

Sixx could have easily written those riffs, too, they’re not indicative of a high level of technical guitar skill, really (as cool as they are).

I think if Nikki wrote the riffs, he'd be the first person to tell us. Especially right now.

It seems to me that people like Mick and don’t like Nikki, so they create their own version of who wrote what.

No one really knows, but there is only one guy with actual writing credits on Shout…

It seems to me that people like Mick and don’t like Nikki, so they create their own version of who wrote what.

No one really knows, but there is only one guy with actual writing credits on Shout…
Nikki has always seemed like a poser. That's the real crux of this discussion. From him telling you how much of junkie he was to how punk rock he was while he's in Motley Crue :wat Mick has always seemed like that grumpy old man that just happens to be in a band.

Looking at writing credits across a few albums, Mars’ involvement grew after Shout, and by Dr Feelgood he has a lot of co-writes listed (he has almost none on Shout or the first album).

And the mid to later songs that come to mind as the best riffs have his name on them (Dr Feelgood, Girls).

I liked the first two albums but checked out after that; didn't realize Mars' involvement in the writing had increased over the years.

For Me I've always Loved Mick Mars, Never cared for the rest of the band, Mick was in it for the music unlike the other 3 clowns
what they are doing is straight up shitty , as for John 5 i get he would take the gig and is paying homage to Mick very well
John 5 is a super nice down to earth guy total polar opposite of the rest
Frank Feranna is only there for business he cant play his way though a paper bag, Vince Neal cant sing if his life depended on it
Tommy lee is not a bad drummer but what a shitty human being
Im for Mick Mars all the way

Here's the ”Crue crew”'s response:

In the attached signed declarations, seven crew members offer complaints about Mars's playing in the 2022 tour. Robert Long, the band's production manager since 2007, said in the statement provided by group attorneys to Variety:

"When he is off, the band's entire performance suffers. Mick's performance during 'The Stadium Tour' was unworkable and very difficult to manage. It began with the band's rehearsals in April 2022. Mick would consistently forget chords and songs so the band would have to stop and re-teach those parts to Mick to remind him of the arrangements. … Mick's performance issues continued throughout the tour. He would consistently miss notes; play out of tune; play the wrong chords during a song; stay within a chorus of a song and never come out of it; forget the song that he was playing and start a different one; and would get lost in songs. This happened at every show. … Our playback engineer put in cues for Mick so that he would stay on course but he would miss the cues.”

Tour manager Thomas Reitz declared in his statement that "Mick was struggling, forgetting chords and songs. He was not up to speed with the songs and could not play his solos. The other band members spent hours trying to help Mick. Mick would often get frustrated and confused. I also witnessed the band and crew's frustration with Mick's mistakes first hand during the rehearsals. Mick's issues continued and got worse during the tour. Virtually at every concert, he played the wrong chords, wrong song or would forget what song he was playing. A sound technician would always need to have a backup track ready in case Mick played the wrong song or chord."

The group's monitor engineer, Scott Megrath, said in his declaration that, at certain points, "I had to make sure that the other band members would not get Mick's feed into their earpieces because that would confuse them and potentially ruin the show. Mick's mistakes happened on numerous occasions and at every show. In my years of experience, I have never seen mistakes like this by a guitarist on stage."

Too a degree I would take those crew statements with a grain of salt. Those are all people whose lively hood very well benefits from them continuing to tour. I wonder if anyone from Def Leppard, Poison or Joan Jett’s band would step forward. To me, they are the ones with out (much of) a dog in the fight and you’d think they’d have first hand knowledge of how it really went down.

Too a degree I would take those crew statements with a grain of salt. Those are all people whose lively hood very well benefits from them continuing to tour.

For sure, that was my first thought, too. However it's also possible Mars has been having cognitive/memory issues. The guy is 71 years old.

Would be interesting to hear a third party account, as you say.

I like Mick, I like Vince. The other 2 always seemed like attention Wh*res to me. My take on the whole thing -- if you're using backing tracks, etc. throughout the whole show, just give it up at this point. That's not staying true to your brand and it's 100% about money at this point.
Sounds like all of them are using backing tracks. lol

Last edited:
I like Mick, I like Vince. The other 2 always seemed like attention Wh*res to me. My take on the whole thing -- if you're using backing tracks, etc. throughout the whole show, just give it up at this point. That's not staying true to your brand and it's 100% about money at this point.
Sounds like all of them are using backing tracks. lol
From the 2022 tour, the guitars are straight off the record, they didn't even bother making believable backing tracks :LOL:

I was watching some clips on my ipad the other day, from 2012 and up to see if I could hear Mick messing up everywhere, I couldn't, but it was also an ipad. I'm in my studio and the first vid I click on from 2022 and as soon as the main riff kicks in you can tell he's playing along to a track and gets off time a bit. The track is just as loud or louder than the live guitar. As you go through the song you hear plenty more evidence of it, he does some harmonic whammy dives and you still hear the rhythm guitars.

Also found an enlightening interview with Vince Neal about how songs can take on different meanings over time-

"Yeah you know, it's really amazing, the power of music and a well written song. When Nikki wrote "Kickstart My Heart" about his OD I thought it was really powerful, I mean, this is him talking about dying and being brought back to life, you know? So when I felt the shock of the defibrillator kickstarting MY heart after my battle with funnel cake and the dollar menu at Wendy's, it just hit me all over again in such a profound way and that's why I sing it the way I do now, to reflect the impact it has on me"

Anywho, back to Mars, I think this vid speaks for itself and Mick's playing on this tour. No tracks and you're not going to get better footage than this. You can't mime that stuff even if you practiced it a million times over, it's a bitch just lining up audio/video of something you are playing sometimes. Mick's the f*cking man.

I'm not hearing any backing tracks in this either, just Mick's badass guitar tone and the sound of a badass live rock guitar player-

I have no reason to doubt Tommy's playing live for much of the same reasons; it'd be harder to mime that stuff than it would be to just play it and regardless of what people think of it, he's been quite active musically outside of Crue. (I actually liked the first Methods of Mayhem album and his Never A Dull Moment album). While he's not a virtuoso dude, he plays most of those instruments himself on his albums and I certainly respect that. He's very capable for what he does, I think is a good way of putting it. Nikki I don't think gives a f*ck as long as he can prance around and get attention and it's easy enough the mime his parts because there's practically nothing happening there along with said prancing.

Vince is so fucking cringey. He must have zero sense of shame or self-awareness. What a fucking embarrassment!

Get out of the public eye and get old and fat in isolation like the rest of us, Vince!! :LOL:

They sucked in 1986 when I saw them on the Theatre of Pain Tour. How they have lasted
this long with a never-ending series of shitty live performances is beyond me.

Maybe they secretly pump Nitrous into the Arenas. :LOL:

Back