Marshall Amps

IMG_5301 -1024.jpg

You should sometimes make a thread on how you approach your tone matching... it's really cool!
Do you use plugins or rack stuff?

Thanks! - my system is:

1. Info gathering. Research the gear they used, including the studio gear and studio notes (if available).

2. Use whatever I have on hand (guitar, pickups, plugins, gear, rack stuff, etc) and try to match the above. If I don't have it, use the next best thing.

But the main tool is my ears and understanding and recognizing frequencies (EQ).

Sometimes, though, you gotta use a "cheat code". Like Ronni LeTekro's (TNT) tone for example. I have been studying that tone for decades. I have the gear (BOSS BF-2 w trick setting, OD-1 clone, UAD 2203 Marshall, etc) and a good deal of info now (minus studio info), but I had to use FabFilter Q3's tone match to clone his studio sculpted tone. The following are tests but very close:

Original:

Anyone have any experience with the 4010?? That JCM800 1 x 12 with a G12M-70?
Vertical input ones are great. Good speaker too although better to use a 4x12. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13491183...h1ZBmHpQf-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

$3.6 million in amp sales?
seemingly small fish compared to the headphone and kitchen radio market. Must be saving a fortune on Vietnamese made transformers 😂

Or is that $3.6m entirely based on the massive extortion for US customers?

The reason they’re valued for what they are is entirely based on the fact that their branding can sell cheap consumer goods at good margins, and very little to do with the guitar amps.

Last edited:
Pulled out the 1959, a tubescreamer (Green Rhino), and a vintage rat reissue last night and haven’t made it past the Green Rhino. What a great pairing with a Les Paul.

With the channels jumped using a “just over EOB” tone it rips when the pedal comes in. More crunch, more compression, more midrange, more controlled lows. It’s a second channel on the amp really. It’s perfect in it’s simplicity.

My SD-1 is heavily modded - debating tracking down an original to fold into the mix.

I actually replaced the 70 ^^^ with a Mesa C90, which was a big improvement. More bottom end, with a notch in the highs in the perfect spot. If I remember right, that's Mesa's version of the G12-80, which supposedly the 800 was designed around? I normally don't love C90s, find them tubby and dark, but with 800s they're perfect, to me. Had also tried a Creamback, which was good but too loose/thin in an open-back 1x12.

Wow. Thanks, TS! What happened to it? Or should I not ask??
:idk

Ha, no, it's all good, thanks. I sold it as part of raising money to get my R9, which is still my main guitar for going on nine years now, so I can live with that. And you know me, a 1x12 combo just isn't enough grunt/beef, even if it is a 50W 800. :) I found I still needed a 2x12 cab with it, so then you're bringing a 50 lb+ combo plus a cab, etc, so I figured a 2204 head would be better, down the road.

Killer amp, though! One of the best I've ever owned, for sure.

Oh man. I agree on the troublesome nature of combo amps that have a Marshall badge on the front.

I've owned a few 800s in the past, but none currently. One of these came across my screen and I had
to ponder it for a moment. :beer

Back