Marshall Amps

@Burger
The correct tap for 230v wall voltage is 220v.
The MAV PT is wound for 120, 230, 240.

the label on the trafo says 125v / 225v/ 245v
You are using the 245 tap with 230 wall voltage and getting 410vDC plate voltage.

The voltage switch remained the same for historic consistency, but it's -10v off for the MAV PT.

MSV-Marshall-Voltage-Selector-fuer-Reissue-Serie-alle-1.jpg

I'm getting 455v plate voltage and in-spec preamp B+ readings with the 220 tap and 230v wall voltage.
So no, not worth buying a new (and expensive) PT, all you have to do is rotate the voltage switch to 220.

EDIT:
Makes me wonder why an experienced tech as Jason ignores the label on the PT and intentionally does not test the correct voltage tap.

Last edited:
Common USA house line voltage is 120vac up to 129vac.
That tech wanted people paying $3500 [$4000+ with tax & shipping] for a "hand wired" Marshall to know what they're getting.
I personally think its a sham. Shows Marshall will try to get away with whatever they can.
The fact that "some" folks see that video and say "i don't see a problem" signafies a shift in amp buyer demographic and reflects
where the future of amp buyers is going. More cheap amps, more cut corners, more cheapening of brands.

Last edited:
As an owner of a few amps with MAV transformers and having measured and serviced them myself, it is my opinion that Jason has an agenda and is not acting in the best interest of the customer in this particular video, maybe to drum up the youtube clicks or to create more work for himself and mercury magnetics.
The PT tap voltage is on a sticker on the side of the MAV PT and I'm sure he has seen it.

Also, he doesn't show the heater voltage in this video which is the first thing you measure if you think the PT or the voltage tap is out of spec. On mine it was about 5.5v on the 240 tap which clearly indicates this is the WRONG tap for 230v wall voltage.

Let's see if he admits his mistake and makes a video with a voltage chart using the correct tap on the PT.

I don’t have an agenda, so please don’t say that. Unfounded comments like yours is why YouTubers quit.

The official wall volatge is 230 in Australia, same the UK and across Europe. So the amp was tested as received at 230V - no one (except you) is going to set their mains selector back one to compestate for the specs that that PT.

Last edited:
You are a very experienced tech, I am sure you've seen the PT sticker and measured the heater voltage but decided not to include that crucial information in your video, I'm sure that was not by mistake. You can use your influence and show the peple how to correctly set the MAV PT for 230v wall voltage instead of needleasly spending a ton of money on new transformers and tech hours.
Measue the heater voltage, show the sticker on the PT and the voltage switch.

PS.
No need to play the victim, your content is top and I enjoy it very much, but I will raise a red flag if something fishy going on, nothing personal.

Last edited:
You’re entitled to your opinion, and tips for future videos are welcome. Nothing personal? Don’t question my honestly and integrity then, because then you do make it personal.

Last edited:
@Burger I saw both videos and saw it as you pointing out that less expensive parts are going in these new amps and when it's time to repair or you want to upgrade, look for something better. Either way, I agree that for the money, your PT should not rattle.

Glad I'm in the States and don't have to worry about input voltage. Just a quick question for me, is the 220v and 230v on the same cycle, 50HZ? Or can the amps be run on both?

You are a very experienced tech, I am sure you've seen the PT sticker and measured the heater voltage but decided not to include that crucial information in your video, I'm sure that was not by mistake. You can use your influence and show the peple how to correctly set the MAV PT for 230v wall voltage instead of needleasly spending a ton of money on new transformers and tech hours.
Measue the heater voltage, show the sticker on the PT and the voltage switch.

PS.
No need to play the victim, your content is top and I enjoy it very much, but I will call bullshit when I see it, nothing personal.
Why are you standing up for a company thats making substandard products ?
Makes no sense unless you have an agenda.

There are civilized ways of respectfully questioning a technical detail in the spirit of sharing, learning and understanding or clarification.

And then there's just being plain rude.
The world as it is needs more of James imo. The internet is choke full of people - especially “influencers” who hide behind fake niceties for their own benefit.
James just told people that it’s as simple as turning a switch to which the reply was “well nobody does that” implying that the expensive solution of changing the transformer is still valid...

The world as it is needs more of James imo. The internet is choke full of people - especially “influencers” who hide behind fake niceties for their own benefit.
James just told people that it’s as simple as turning a switch to which the reply was “well nobody does that” implying that the expensive solution of changing the transformer is still valid...

There are ways to do that while having a good discussion about it instead of straight up saying "Bullshit" and taking the hard ass stance right out of the gate.

I know you get a kick out of confrontation, but that shit has been rampant on this forum for the last 3 weeks and frankly, I'm fucking sick of it. That's not why we made this place. If you want to argue with people for the sake of arguing, there's other forums that welcome it and relish in it.

Ya gotta wonder the pressure these guys end up putting themselves under to keep the new content flow going.
How many high gain amp demos can you do where you have to look all fresh and excited the entire time.

- GOD, I love this new amp by XXXX.
- Today, let's compare XXX vs XXXX.
- XXXX: Amps I'll never sell.
- Should I sell XXXX?
- Today, let's blend XXXX with XXX in a mix.
etc.

Wonder how long it takes before it starts becoming a chore to keep your channel in high rotation month after month.
And some of the top channels have been on the air for a number of years now! :oops:

Maybe best not to take every single video as some sort of set in stone gospel that requires rebuttal?

Last edited:
Clearly the new MAV PT is wound to a different spec than Dagnall, my guess as to 'why' Marshall did this is as good as yours.
The standard Mains Select switch labeling does not correspond to the correct tap for 230v on this PT.
Hope to see a useful video about how to correctly set the MAV PT now that we are well informed.
That'll be all from me about this.

20240303_183155.jpg

20240303_183247.jpg

Ya gotta wonder the pressure these guys end up putting themselves under to keep the new content flow going.
How many high gain amp demos can you do where you have to look all fresh and excited the entire time.

- Should I sell XXXX?
etc.

Wonder how long it takes before it starts becoming a chore to keep your channel in high rotation month after month.
And some of the top channels have been on the air for a number of years now! :oops:

Maybe best not to take every single video as some sort of set in stone gospel that requires rebuttal?
I can see where it would be a grind. No matter how much people want to sometimes do the old "you're not a real guitar player get a real job" blahblahblah routine.*

*Obviously; Glen Fricker is terrible.

Last edited:

She works at Marshall / Transformer division / solder sucker and doesn't afraid of anything 00---> ...

What is the average monthly income in Vietnam?

The average salary in Vietnam is 6.1 million Vietnamese Dong (VND) per month, according to the July 2021 press release by the General Statistics Office of Vietnam. As per the August 2021 exchange rate, this is equivalent to 277 USD/month. In Vietnam, it's common to pay employees a 13th-month salary as an annual bonus.May 19, 2023

- Should I sell XXXX?
etc.

Yup. Well said. It's literally a monster created by the content generators, and then that same monster consumes
the creators. Or, at the very least, can consume them.

I'd NEVER go down that road. The fractional cents on the dollar and views are not worth it. Besides the world
does not need more content for the sake of content. :idk

If anything, we are all drowning in content.... which is why issues with focus, work, relationships, and deficits of
attention are so rife all across the Planet.

Last edited:
- Should I sell XXXX?

Gotta give some props for the inspiration behind this.

:giggle: I really like mixing this guy in with other Youtubers when I'm researching new brands.
He's not one to hold back at times but you often got to sit through a bit of gushing first.

Untitled.png

Back