Marshall Amps

Marshall amps I have owned:

- 2204 (various years)
- 2554 Jubilee 50W
- 1992 (stock and modded to Adam Jones spec)
- 1959HW
- DSL100H
- JCM2000 DSL 100
- JCM900 4100
- Vintage Modern 2266
- 8100/8200/8080
- Origin 20
- modded 1987x (basically to JEL spec with some other tweaks)
- Friedman BE100 (a lot of modded plexi/Jose DNA)

Also pretty familiar with amps I've recorded, such as TSL, JVM, JMP-1 etc

Favourite overall is probably the 2203/2204 style, its just nicely dialled in and very caveman in a good way. The Friedman Dirty Shirley circuit is a GREAT variation of that, essentially the same preamp circuit but with a different filtering arrangement and JTM45 poweramp.

DSL100 is seriously hard to beat, I think it coax's a lot of the Marshall tones (and more) at an unbeatable price, and honestly sounds as good as any Marshall I've ever played. The Vintage Modern is also an amazing amp, its sort of an evolution of the JTM45 circuit as if the 1987/1959/2203 etc never happened.

8100 is underrated, its left a mark on music and is unlike anything else. Because they are cheaper amps and don't sound like a 2203, they get scoffed at a bit.

2144 and 2150 were fun, kind of like spin off's from other amps. Jubilee and 2210 are cool but not my favourite, a bit stiff under the fingers, but I like that they have a distinct thing going on.

Favourite mod is probably the JEL, has the raunch and bite of the 800 with a bit more gain and low end. Love the sound of Gower's mods, Jason Tong's mods, and Ground Zero at the moment. I also dig most of the Friedman stuff.

Never blown a Marshall up, but I live 10 minutes away from Marshall's factory. Their servicing department is amazing, among the best I've encountered anywhere, and Dave Wittering is a total legend.

Loudest amp is my modded 1992/1959. On the lowest possible settings its INSTANT PAIN where you have to leave the room and go and lie down in the dark. Makes everything in the room shake.

I don't own any of those, but I'd be happy with the JTM45 or JMP circuits.

I’ve never been a fan of Marshalls until I got the DSL100HR about 6 months ago. I know they’re cheap Vietnam-made amps, but seriously it does every Marshall sound I could ask for and I think it’s the best tone/$ you can get in a new amp. Some retailers will sell you a new one as low as $800 too, you just have to ask the question.

Here’s a @GuitarJon video:

Last real Marshall I owned was a JCM2000 DSL50. Bias drift, flimsy PCB, poorly balanced channels, didn't sound that great at less than band volumes. Sounded great in a store, when I didn't really think about volume or practicalities.

Since then I've shunned Marshall, I just don't feel they have ever built particularly well made or practical amps. Instead I've turned me head to modded Marshall type amps from other brands.

I liked the '77 mode on the Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead I had. Just the right kind of bite to it.
I like the Bluetone Plexi 25 built here in Finland.

I currently use the Vintage channel on my BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition. It's based on Thomas Blug's Marshall 1967 JTM "black flag" Super PA100. The Classic channel does JCM800 but I don't use it anywhere near as much. The Modern channel is more of a Soldano SLO-ish thing.

On my Fractal I use the Plexi 100W Jumped model a lot.

My favorites always seem to be the 50w models. I’m not a fan of 100w amps.

I love the 50w Plexi’s and the 2204.

I’ve also been impressed with the versatility of the DSL series amps. I’ve used a DSL 50 for everything from jazz gigs to Metallica cover gigs. I used one as my main country gigging amp for quite a while.

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

I get it. Do we now list EVERY brand not named Marshall that borrowed from Marshall?? :idk

I suspect James feels the same way about Friedman's as I do. Just an hunch. :beer

I get it. Do we now list EVERY brand not named Marshall that borrowed from Marshall?? :idk
if its something like a Suhr SL 67/68, Metropolous, Germino, Bogner Goldfinger etc, then yes. They are all valid.

If its something like a Soldano (which has some lineage from a JCM800), then no.

Its no different to Neve preamp clones vs current AMS Neve stuff, or pedal brands all having their own take on a Tubescreamer or Klon.

Marshall is the sound and history of Rock. Period. One could even argue they
authoured the history of the tones inscribed in our craniums from Clapton with
Mayall, to Hendrix, to Trower, to Zeppelin, to Van Halen, Priest, Maiden, Schenker,
and even up to early Thrash. It's kind of insane that they stamped themselves so
indelibly on the entire trajectory of guitar-based music in such an overwhelming
fashion and manner.

It's really unprecedented, and likely to never be repeated. That kind of utter domination
of a cultural space was massive.

But yeah, a JCM800 if I had to choose. Preferably the 1985 vertical input 2204 I had to sell
in 2020 when COVID hit. Fuck you COVID! You're a prick! :horse

I could literally do anything with that amp just using my volume control on the guitar, touch,
and a boost (SD-1) in front (not always on).

I remember when channel-switchers became a thing, and people were like, "Oh great! Finally
a Clean Channel. Marshalls don't have Clean Channels. Blah! Blah! Wah! Wah! Wah!"

But Marshalls always had Clean Channels. The footswitch to get too the Clean Channel was your
volume control on your guitar, and how lightly you picked. :chef

:rofl

Just having a little good-natured fun, Ed. I don't care what amps people list..... uhmmmm..... under the banner
and heading of the "Marshall Amps" thread. :idk
I always enjoy your posts and the knowledge, clips, tones, and experience you share here. :beer

And I really do think Dave neutered something essential and very distinctly Marshall to my ears with
his amps. His version is like a freshly paved (smooth!) 6 lane Interstate Highway, while a "Marshall" is
a bit of a bumpier ride, where you maybe get some sand blown in your face as you blast across the
heat of the Sahara from Paris to Dakar.

Back